chain on xr 650l

9 replies to this topic
  • richar_92692

Posted February 21, 2008 - 04:52 AM

how long my original chain will last (got about 7000 miles)

• Bibleman

Posted February 21, 2008 - 05:18 AM

Hi Richar, chain life varies greatly. What type of chain? How much dirt riding? Lubed consistently? Alignment good? Condition of sprockets? etc. I've heard of several street bikes reach 25k miles, I had 18k on the original chain when I sold it one bike. I would imagine if you maintain it well and don't do too much dirt you could easily get well over 10k.

• Denn10

Posted February 21, 2008 - 09:52 AM

keep it clean, adjusted, and lubed and you should be fine for quite a while like Bible said, mines almost 11k and still going.

• Purcell69

Posted March 07, 2008 - 02:45 AM

I put over 12k on my DR350 chain and sprockets before I sold it for the BRP. The best thing you can do is keep it lubed, clean and adjusted. I would oil mine with 20w50 every few hundred miles, and keep the pressure washer away from it. I used to use the non-fling type chain lubes, but they would collect too much dirt and sand. Once that happened, I would have to clean it with diesel fuel. to gey the crud off and then re-lube it.

When I was in high school I was constantly changing chains and sprockets on my XL350R. I would use a set up as quickly as the back tire (2,500 miles). The big factors there were lack of proper maintenance and being hell on the clutch, (I used to love getting the front tire off the ground in 3rd gear, but it took some hard shifting to make it happen.)

It's amazing what 20+ years will do for ya.

-Joe

• ghrati ghoti

Posted March 07, 2008 - 06:09 AM

I think I got 15k out of my stock chain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Itchykawa

Posted March 07, 2008 - 09:28 AM

I usually get around 15k out of a stock XRL chain. By then it is toast squared though. I run 'em till they scream. :thumbsup: I mean, you are going to have to buy the whole works (chain and both sprockets) anyway. Ring 'em for all they are worth, I say.

I know most will disagree here, but that is what I have done with over 40 bikes in my life so far. I do stop riding them hard and getting too far from home when I know I am pushing it though.

• martinfan30

Posted March 21, 2008 - 08:09 AM

I just replaced the chain and sprockets on my L. Took it out for a rip in dirt last night. When I returned, the wax or parafin that came on the chain had collected a ton of sand and is coated.

Should this wax be cleaned off and a new lube applied? I was concerned with pressure washing the chain and blowing water/sand past the o rings.

Its an RK O ring.

Thanks,

Rich

• cleonard

Posted March 21, 2008 - 08:30 AM

I just replaced the chain and sprockets on my L. Took it out for a rip in dirt last night. When I returned, the wax or parafin that came on the chain had collected a ton of sand and is coated.

Should this wax be cleaned off and a new lube applied? I was concerned with pressure washing the chain and blowing water/sand past the o rings.

Its an RK O ring.

Thanks,

Rich

No pressure washer. Surest way to kill it. Just leaving it on is a lot better. If you want to try and clean it use something no more aggressive than kerosene or diesel. Lighter solvents will cause problems.

I'd just leave it alone.

For off roading I don't even ust that much lube these days. Usually the chain wax. Oily stuff just attracts dirt. If you are on the road it different. More oily lube is fine then.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 21, 2008 - 11:01 AM

back in the day - I used gasoline as a solvent - but the chain was non o ring. Then I would hang it to drip dry and then soak in motor oil and hang again and install, I got 22K on a 72 XL250 chain doing this and alot of that milaeage was abusive (after I left for the service and everyone in the family rode the hell out of it with NO maintenance at all!)

I have not cleaned a o ring chain yet! in any kind of solvent. I get the crud off with a garden hose and light wire brush and blow dry with compressed air after the wash, and intially lube with WD-40 and then Honda chain lube, adjust as required - when required - a little loose is always better then really tight, I have had no problems.

• Old Dog

Posted March 21, 2008 - 11:52 AM

I've got a Grunge Brush. I use it when I see my chain collecting a lot of sand/dirt. It works great, costs next to nothing and is easy to use. It's the only part I've ever bought from the dealer who sold me the bike. :confused:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.