All intending on being at Fremont for the April ride chime in.

426 replies to this topic

Poll: What months look good for each of you? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

What months look good for each of you?

1. March (5 votes [15.62%])

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

2. April (14 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

3. May (8 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. June (2 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

5. July (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote
  • Agent2

Posted February 11, 2008 - 08:56 AM

Well, I made out to Fremont over the weekend, great weather. The best spot I found for a camp area is about 1/2 mile past the split in Fremont Peak road - going straight. Big flat area with a nice view, easy to get to even with a trailer. Other that the entrance off 395 being a little rutty, the road is in pretty good shape (for a desert road). Around 15 miles to the Monument from the camp spot.
One thing I noticed is that it's easy to miss Fremont Road off the 395 - especially if you aren't familliar with the area, pulling a trailer and have 20 drivers behind you in a hurry. Might have to figure out a way to put a piece of plywood with a big " T T " spraypainted on it at the entrance.

• martinfan30

Posted February 11, 2008 - 08:57 AM

Thats an excellent idea! That would help immensely.

• Cigar Mike

Posted February 11, 2008 - 07:19 PM

N35 11.080 W117 35.710 the turns right there.

Cigar Miike

• Denn10

Posted February 12, 2008 - 12:58 PM

AGENT i was thinking that too, easy to make a wood sign and stake it into the ground. Well have to mark it for the people that cant spell TT also..What symbol would work ya think?? Right turn Clyde!!!!

http://www.smh.com.a...__470x342,0.jpg

• hill5150

Posted February 19, 2008 - 08:52 AM

March, April is the start of boobs and boats..............

• martinfan30

Posted February 19, 2008 - 10:03 AM

March, April is the start of boobs and boats..............

NOt up here!

• Denn10

Posted February 19, 2008 - 02:16 PM

first weekend in April is our set date for now, its one weekend give up the water till the next weekend!!!!

• sploogemonkey

Posted February 20, 2008 - 10:54 AM

Well, I made out to Fremont over the weekend, great weather. The best spot I found for a camp area is about 1/2 mile past the split in Fremont Peak road - going straight. Big flat area with a nice view, easy to get to even with a trailer. Other that the entrance off 395 being a little rutty, the road is in pretty good shape (for a desert road). Around 15 miles to the Monument from the camp spot.
One thing I noticed is that it's easy to miss Fremont Road off the 395 - especially if you aren't familliar with the area, pulling a trailer and have 20 drivers behind you in a hurry. Might have to figure out a way to put a piece of plywood with a big " T T " spraypainted on it at the entrance.

Thanks to Agent2 doing some recon on the LZ, it looks like this SPEC OP is a go. :applause: Wish I could've gone that weekend, but couldn't get away.

How many of you guys here use Google Earth? I don't have a GPS, but I use Google Earth to help me find locations, and it really helps a lot. If you do use it, copy this coordinate, and paste it into the "search" function of GE 35 11' 51.14"N, 117 30' 57.48"W

I'm almost certain that those coordinates are exactly where Agent2 is recommending we set camp.

Fremont Peak Rd. is where we'll exit HWY395, but there is no sign, just like Agent says. Here is a pic of the intersection, and there is a small red and white striped sign on the east side of the hwy, but it's real easy to miss.

Posted Image

Here's a pic taken from HWY395 facing east. My son took this shot just before we hopped on the road to go home.

Posted Image

Here's a pic of what Fremont Peak Rd. looks like. It's a combination of hard pack and some loose gravel, but I've never seen anyone get stuck out there unless there's a bunch of mud (unlikely). It's pretty much straight all the way to the proposed camp spot.

Posted Image

Should be a good time!

• Agent2

Posted February 20, 2008 - 11:28 AM

Ahhh, slow days at work when I can post 37 replies.....
Sploogemonkey - actually I was at the next open area east of the co-ordinates - right in the area of picture 3, but any open area along the road will probably work.
I really hate it when someone posts neat pictures of the desert and I am stuck here in my cubicle.....

• martinfan30

Posted February 20, 2008 - 11:47 AM

Ya its rather agonizing!! Cant wait!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted February 20, 2008 - 03:30 PM

Now that we have a date and a place, is it time to start gathering some more info? Not sure if this should be here or another thread.

Most of 100% legal the riding in the immediate vicinity is open desert riding on dirt roads. There is some more technical stuff. A little further away is some good technical stuff. Those might require fuel stops for stock tanks.

When we are planning a ride it's important for the participants to let other know what skill level they have. I don't try hard not to take others on trails way past their skill level. A challenge is one thing, but going way over your head is something else. Crashing sucks.

A couple of long distance rides are a possibility. Just depends on what people want to do.

Maps are always good. I usually just go with the AAA San Bernardino county map. It is really pretty good. I'll try and bring a few of whatever I think is best. A GPS can be good for finding ones way back to camp.

So should we start a list of people who are planning on attending?

• Agent2

Posted February 20, 2008 - 04:12 PM

Good point Cleonard. I am sure some of us have "favorite" rides that we like to do in the area, and the camp location is good for anything from Randsburg to Kramer Hills to Harper Lake etc. Guess it will depend on what certain groups want to do.
Other things to remember is to let those going that aren't familliar with the area are the dangers of abandonded mines, and the fact that there is no cell phone coverage on the back side of Fremont. The "stay in a group" rule of thumb might be a good thing to remember.

• Tattooart

Posted February 20, 2008 - 05:42 PM

I will be there(if you'll have me).......night riding.....Anyone want to join me? By the way i do not ride an XR(although I do have one).

• martinfan30

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:16 PM

Ok fella's, looks like we are cocked, locked and loaded for the first weekend in APRIL. All interested parties please post to confirm your appearance.

Myself and 3 other Northern Nevadans will be there at the chosen site Thurs. 3rd thru the 8th. Here are some rough GPS coordinates.

http://www.thumperta...t=598872&page=7

Maybe also post your riding abilities, limits. Tank size on your bike may also be good info.

I myself am not a racer, but have been riding since I was 5. I will do moderate riding, but nothing hardcore... Love hillclimbs, fast open dez. riding. I ride a modded L with a new 4.0 gal. tank so longer rides are ok.

What say you?

• sploogemonkey

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:20 PM

I'll be there.

Beginner level riding experience. Willing to do up to moderately technical trails. I'll be riding a dirt only XR600R.

I've never felt pressure to keep up with anyone, I'm perfectly happy puttin' along and having a good time. Consider me in the cruisin' group.

I'm good for at least a 30-40 mile loop, maybe more. My back will determine how much abuse I can take. I'll make sure to bring meds on the trip to keep me goin'.

• martinfan30

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:28 PM

:applause:

I will be there(if you'll have me).......night riding.....Anyone want to join me? By the way i do not ride an XR(although I do have one).

Anyone is more than welcome. Doesnt matter what you ride. We just prefer every one leave "stupid" at home. Want to have fun and meet some other TT'rs, then this is for you!

Just post in the new sticky if you will go for sure. Be sure to post your riding skill, your bikes fuel capacity(just so we all know who can do long/short rides).

I am sure there will be different levels of riding abilities attending. Its not going to be a competition of any sort. JUST fun.:)

• jdubb75

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:45 PM

Man, I'd love to come out and meet you guys. I don't think I'm crazy enough to make the 1,968 mile trip though. If only I could sneak my R past airport security.:applause: You west coast guys really need to learn how to meet in the middle. Sounds like a blast...ride safe and have fun!

• Denn10

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:46 PM

all rides will be accomodated, from day to night and noob to pro its all good. Ill put my Military skills to work and get everything going. We just need to maybe have a group ride with everyone but always someone in front and rear that can lead n follow. It wont be hard at all to get rides together, thats easy!

Gas will be the issue as im stock tank and for sure well need about a 3 foot piece of 3/8 fuel line for emergency siphon from someone that has a 4gal tank. Not sure how we can get someone in a middle point with a truck and gas??? Theres TONS of directions we can go and even a fairly short ride east will get us in to Barstow. No worries it will be fine for sure.

• Denn10

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:54 PM

Well have to make a sign that has a huge TT on it to put on the road, im prolly the closest so i can do anything during the week prolly as i work in barstow and its about a 30 min drive from there. I can hook up a sign and get it out there, ill just get the coordinates off the intersection of the 395 and use my GPS to get me there.

4 corners is about 15 miles south on the 395 so its easy to run down there for a fuel run if needed. 1 vehicle and a few gas cans and were good to go. I know its good to plan but i really dont think it needs alot, its kinda like "got gas and were good to go" We can get some google pics of surrounding area and take together to get a decent above view of the area and the dirt roads will stick out pretty well, but we can ride about any direction as i know a few places we can go for some longer rides and end up close to gas. Theres 3 directions not far with gas 4 corners (395x58) red mountain and barstow, there all 3 different directions from our camp so any long ride and we should be ok with gas. Close rides will definitely be fine.

Need some firewood for sure and prolly another vote for local guy to get some and maybe others bring a little if you can. I can score a bunch from our scrap wood bins at work maybe, well see.

everything will be fine we got enough people that are desert rats (like me) so it should be smooth sailing and alot of fun for whoever passes out first!!!! MUAAHHAAAA MUAAAHAHAHAHHA

• martinfan30

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:54 PM

I'd like to see a MAIN GROUP ride to the husky monument. Where all the different skill levels just go for ride. Want to get lots of pics so I can show my wife who I waste all my time online with!:applause:

Maybe prove that I am ACTUALLY going riding!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.