All intending on being at Fremont for the April ride chime in.

426 replies to this topic

Poll: What months look good for each of you? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

What months look good for each of you?

1. March (5 votes [15.62%])

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

2. April (14 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

3. May (8 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. June (2 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

5. July (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote
  • Agent2

Posted February 04, 2008 - 11:59 AM

Do you guys see any rangers or Other LEO's in this area often? Just curious, we NEVER have run into any out here. I've never even seen a warden while hunting!

In 25 years of 4X4ing and dirtbiking in that area I have never seen any "authority" . Of course, now that I said that, I have jinxed myself.
Sploogemonkey, I'm in the San Fernando Valley. Haven't been out riding for a month and I need a fix. Weather is supposed to be nice this weekend - upper 60's in that area. If you (or anyone else) is interested in meeting up there, PM me for location.

• martinfan30

Posted February 04, 2008 - 07:20 PM

So, with a date set now... How many of you can make it that weekend?

We also need to coordinate a meeting spot. Being our first time there, we are kinda going in blind. Especially since we are coming down on Thursday the 3rd.

Splooge, can you hook us up with some detailed road map or directions to the general area you would like to camp?

Thanks...

Rich.

• cleonard

Posted February 05, 2008 - 02:04 PM

I wager that this is the spot that Splooge is thinking about. If not here then the camp spot just above it, but this is the nicer place for a big group.

http://maps.google.c...iwloc=addr&om=0

I really like this spot on the backside of the mountain, but it is more of a drive on the bumpy dirt roads.

http://maps.google.c...iwloc=addr&om=0

I have met BLM rangers out there on a few (5?) occasions. However, I have camped in this area about 100 times over the years. Unless you are doing something wrong they have always been really cool. The spot on the backside is totally hidden from the 395. Sometimes that can be important.

I think that I have to head to NY the week after, but no matter what I'll try and come out over the weekend.

• martinfan30

Posted February 05, 2008 - 02:53 PM

Alright, good. Those look like good spots...

• sploogemonkey

Posted February 05, 2008 - 08:21 PM

Cleonard,

You're right on the money with the camp spot.

I like to go there when I am shooting, but it can get a little cramped for more than ten vehicles. Here's a pic of that spot when I was there with a group of about 10 rigs, and as you can see, it's a bit cramped.

Posted Image

I don't think I'll bring guns out for this trip. It's hard to say how many people might show, and I'm really strict about gun safety. It's just too hard to regulate a crowd of people I don't know and especially when I don't know their level of experience with firearms. We're gonna be a long way from any medical facilities.

I'd suggest a camping spot closer to the road too. I know the spot that both Cleonard and I are familiar with is a great spot and is no secret, but it might be easier to keep the location closer to the road (down on the valley floor).

I'm thinking right before or after the "Y" that forks off to go to Cuddeback Lake. There are a couple of large clear spots to the right of the dirt road that will accommodate a pretty large group.

Here's an image showing a spot half the distance to the original location that I'd consider an "Alternate" camping spot. It's closer to the HWY, easier for cars and trailers, and there's more space to spread out.

Posted Image

What do you guys think?

• martinfan30

Posted February 05, 2008 - 08:29 PM

It all looks good to me. You guys know the area, so I'll let you decide.

We are all hunters up here, and have grown up with/around firearms. We practice our sport very religously/safely. I also understand not really knowing someone's skill/knowledge of the sport too.

So when you think of the right spot, let me know. We will have to exchange cells numbers(providing service is avail.) so when we get close we can contact and figure all the details. Like I said earlier, we will be coming down that Thursday the 3rd.:busted:

• Denn10

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:12 PM

Yes, those are a must!

I now have the wifes :busted: !!!

Very excited about this trip.

Also, the other guys in the pics I have of our L's lined up are now coming.
I even bought a new clarke 4 gal tank!

Posted Image

Jim on left, rides a KX500, so take it easy on him!:worthy:

Which one is your dumbass???

• Denn10

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:13 PM

Nice pics Mike. All this talk about a ride to the Husky has got me thinking about a pre run ride next Saturday, just to make sure the trails are ok after the rain and all...

WELL let me know im only 30 minutes from Barstow.

MIKE where you live if you camp in rainbow basin area?? im Apple Valley

• Denn10

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:19 PM

Safety is fine I was US ARMY and i regulate like a bad ass drill sergeant LOL not kidding, ill have a gun atleast just for safety.

Being alot of plated bikes we dont have to worry bout BLM too much but if were hidden from 395 thats ALOT better!!

If anyone wants to ride on Friday cuz im off every other lemme know ill be home alone making plans of how im gonna get some fellows for making pink basket pics and such.

I think that spot is gonna be tight im sure several like Martin and i will have trailers and more for sure, i dont know that area but there any other spots to hold more peeps, or another clear area where we can park trucks away maybe and have more trailers close together? Im gonna be solo so i have 2 beds that someone can crash on also, im pretty sure ill bring my trailer since im gonna have to stay some nights. MUUAAAHHHAHAAA MUAH MUAHAHHHHHAHAHA

• Denn10

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:20 PM

SPLOOGE on that map pic the top left mountain is RED mountain right????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted February 05, 2008 - 09:43 PM

Without knowing who or how many are going to be out there the lower spot in the flats is a good meeting spot.

I think that I'm with you on the guns Splooge.

Denn that is Red Mountain at the top left.

• martinfan30

Posted February 05, 2008 - 10:26 PM

Which one is your dumbass???

I'm not in that pic. my bike is the lonely one 2nd from right.

I'm the middle guy in this pic.

Posted Image

Jetfuel has already shown me your pic..
:busted: :worthy:

• Agent2

Posted February 05, 2008 - 10:28 PM

I'm thinking the flat area by the small hill on the south side just before the split in Fremont Mountain road might be a good area (near to the alternate spot on Sploogemonkey's map) - easy to get to, especially for the folks not familliar with the area, and it's far enough off 395 to have a little privacy. I am definately going riding this weekend in the area, so will do a little recon, that's a good excuse to get out there...

• Denn10

Posted February 06, 2008 - 07:14 AM

Im thinkin about going for a ride Friday since im off, Saturday is Supercross day at San Diego so that whole day is shot cuz im leavin fairly early and stopping at Bass Pro on the way buy for some stuff.

• mikexr650r

Posted February 07, 2008 - 04:08 AM

March sounds good. The weather should cooperate well. As far as the 395 traffic going north, have any of you tried the cutoff from the 15 at Mojave Dr. in Victorvilee. I live in the area and go that way everytime I ride up the 395. I can give more directions if any one is interested.

• BWB63

Posted February 07, 2008 - 01:35 PM

This is the first week of April and you are still working out where the groups is going to camp? Are XR650R's aloud:eek: :busted: How many are going? Something I can put in my Expert GPS program to map out your ride?

• martinfan30

Posted February 07, 2008 - 03:53 PM

This is the first week of April and you are still working out where the groups is going to camp? Are XR650R's aloud:eek: :busted: How many are going? Something I can put in my Expert GPS program to map out your ride?

Hell yes! I've got ALL the XR's in the title. Be good to meet you! Seems like there are 5or6 on here that are going.

• sploogemonkey

Posted February 08, 2008 - 03:18 AM

I think it's fair to say that the camp spot is going to be on the valley floor just west of Fremont Peak, on the right side of Fremont Peak Rd.

I'm totally GPS challenged, but according to Google Earth, the coordinates of the spot I have in mind are 35degrees, 11' 42.20"N -117degrees, 32' 26.62"W.

If you look at the last map image I posted, it's shown as "Alt. camp spot".

I'm good for April 4-6. Keep one thing in mind folks, that weekend will be a New Moon phase, which means no moon and guaranteed almost total darkness at night except for star light.

Personally, I like the New Moon 'cause it's great for star gazing and seeing shooting stars.

Don't forget the firewood, lanterns, and flashlights!

• Big Dirt

Posted February 08, 2008 - 08:43 PM

Its Big Dirt up here in Fresno, is this ride still in the works or is it a done deal? Will be in Randsburg this weekend(Feb.9&10), but was really interested in meeting some of you TTers and venturing a little farther to the east and the ride to the Monument sounds like a good time!

• martinfan30

Posted February 09, 2008 - 12:21 AM

Its Big Dirt up here in Fresno, is this ride still in the works or is it a done deal? Will be in Randsburg this weekend(Feb.9&10), but was really interested in meeting some of you TTers and venturing a little farther to the east and the ride to the Monument sounds like a good time!

The date is set for the 3rd. thru the 7th. of april. Come on out!:busted:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.