All intending on being at Fremont for the April ride chime in.

426 replies to this topic

Poll: What months look good for each of you? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

What months look good for each of you?

1. March (5 votes [15.62%])

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

2. April (14 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

3. May (8 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. June (2 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

5. July (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote
  • sploogemonkey

Posted March 18, 2008 - 09:23 AM

Denn, you have probably seen this but I found this excerpt on a DMV website -

6. I can't make the DMV Registration deadline, what can I do?

Go ahead and pay the DMV your vehicles registration fees and get your "half way papers" (Not valid registration, but an attempt to show responsibility, plus not be charged late fees). You may then explain to the DMV agent your vehicle's repair/smog situation and ask for at least a 30 day Temporary Registration Tag. You can post this Document on your vehicle's rear window, and drive your vehicle legally for 30 days or more, depending on the Temporary Tags you are given. In the mean time you need to attempt to resolve your vehicle smog situation.

Maybe a loophole you can use?

This is the way to go, I've done it myself in the past.

Just tape the red square in your rear window and you're good to go. Sometimes, if you catch the DMV person having a good day, you can get a 90 day extension. It's worth a shot.

• BWB63

Posted March 18, 2008 - 09:51 AM

Are camaro is that way right now and has been sense November! Third time to get a new sticker. I just need the wife to take it to the right smog station.

• Denn10

Posted March 18, 2008 - 11:17 AM

Just tape the red square in your rear window and you're good to go. Sometimes, if you catch the DMV person having a good day, you can get a 90 day extension. It's worth a shot.

just went ahead and placed it in non-op, ill call AAA and see if they can do it or ill have to hit up the DMV in barstow since its pretty empty most the time. I just hate this first time it has been such a pita.

• cleonard

Posted March 18, 2008 - 11:33 AM

I got a 90 day-er last year for my 94 Jag. It had too much HC. I eventually passed by making a "special" fuel with 40% ethanol.

What really sucks is I think that they passed a new law where cars over 15 years old will have to get checked every year.

• sploogemonkey

Posted March 18, 2008 - 12:13 PM

What really sucks is I think that they passed a new law where cars over 15 years old will have to get checked every year.

Just another punch from The Man to keep a brutha down!

That means my truck'll have to get yearly checks starting next year!:confused:

• BWB63

Posted March 18, 2008 - 12:28 PM

Just another punch from The Man to keep a brutha down!

That means my truck'll have to get yearly checks starting next year!:confused:

Sell it before everyone finds out. Next year it will be worth-less then it is now.

I am just afraid that they will get rid of the grandfathered vehicels 75' and older:eek: and I wll have to smog my HO vehicels.....AQMD don't tread on me!!!!

• martinfan30

Posted March 18, 2008 - 01:11 PM

That is some messed up :confused: right there..

I suggest move out of state!

• Denn10

Posted March 18, 2008 - 02:15 PM

I got a 90 day-er last year for my 94 Jag. It had too much HC. I eventually passed by making a "special" fuel with 40% ethanol.

thats not what the dmv site says right now but i sure hope not, thats pretty much BS

http://www.smogcheck..._smog_check.pdf

too bad the 30 year rule went away, never knew the other bills over ruled that

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 18, 2008 - 08:13 PM

Not sure if there gonna change the 76 rule then or what. They cant keep it at 76 forever so i wanna get this one done and go from there in 2 years.

It will take some different people in the CA gov't/C.A.R.B. or some hardcore lobbying to get the Pre-1976 law back into a "30 years or older" law like it used to be.

What engine in your yota? What is too high for your liking? HC , CO?

Just a stock rebuilt 22RE. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but IIRC the HC was in the upper 70% of the limit. I prefer it to be in the middle of the limits or lower. However, the cat has 200,000mi on it and some "mechanic in a bottle" through it(thanks to the PO) and a 200,000mi oxygen sensor was in it at the time. I got a new O2 last week when the CEL code for it came up and the truck drove like crap. Now its great again except for an occasional hunting idle. Back to getting 28-30mpg.....32 on the open road. :confused:

• martinfan30

Posted March 18, 2008 - 09:02 PM

It will take some different people in the CA gov't/C.A.R.B. or some hardcore lobbying to get the Pre-1976 law back into a "30 years or older" law like it used to be.

Just a stock rebuilt 22RE. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but IIRC the HC was in the upper 70% of the limit. I prefer it to be in the middle of the limits or lower. However, the cat has 200,000mi on it and some "mechanic in a bottle" through it(thanks to the PO) and a 200,000mi oxygen sensor was in it at the time. I got a new O2 last week when the CEL code for it came up and the truck drove like crap. Now its great again except for an occasional hunting idle. Back to getting 28-30mpg.....32 on the open road. :confused:

CEL code.. I assume thats a catalyst inefficiency code. That cat. conv. is prob. smoked if it has had crap put into the intake to try and cure.

The hunting idle can sometimes be compensated for by adjusting the MAF meter. the lid can be sliced open with a razor and there is an adjustment for rich/lean idle underneath.

Can also be caused by low coolant, i.e. a leak.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted March 19, 2008 - 02:35 PM

It will take some different people in the CA gov't/C.A.R.B. or some hardcore lobbying to get the Pre-1976 law back into a "30 years or older" law like it used to be. :confused:

well im sure they wont leave it at 76 forever so i can only hope for now.

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 19, 2008 - 09:42 PM

CEL code.. I assume thats a catalyst inefficiency code. That cat. conv. is prob. smoked if it has had crap put into the intake to try and cure.

The hunting idle can sometimes be compensated for by adjusting the MAF meter. the lid can be sliced open with a razor and there is an adjustment for rich/lean idle underneath.

Can also be caused by low coolant, i.e. a leak.

CEL = short for "check engine light." :confused: It was a code 21 for "exhaust gas oxygen sensor degradation" and thankfully not a code 25 for catalyst failure(or is a 25 for the rear O2 sensor? I forget...). I'm not going near the vane air meter unless it's already broken. I know how to adjust them, but I don't think that's it; it's recent and only intermittent. I have to look at the vacuum diagrams to track down the idle control and check that and go over all the hoses again.

• martinfan30

Posted March 20, 2008 - 06:57 AM

CEL = short for "check engine light." :confused: It was a code 21 for "exhaust gas oxygen sensor degradation" and thankfully not a code 25 for catalyst failure(or is a 25 for the rear O2 sensor? I forget...). I'm not going near the vane air meter unless it's already broken. I know how to adjust them, but I don't think that's it; it's recent and only intermittent. I have to look at the vacuum diagrams to track down the idle control and check that and go over all the hoses again.

Oh, i always refer to it as MIL. Malfunction Indicator Light.

If you have low coolant, and air pocket can get into the IAC valve and confuse the ECU. Causing a fluctuating idle.

• Norge

Posted March 22, 2008 - 10:57 AM

Denn is riding his new KTM to the campground.

Posted Image

• Denn10

Posted March 22, 2008 - 11:24 AM

Dont hate cuz i look better than you!!!

• Denn10

Posted March 22, 2008 - 11:28 AM

OK Agent and i were out there friday and it was just a bueatiful day, in the 70s with just a tiny breeze every now and then, no more than 5mph so just right!!! We found two big areas about 200 yards apart that would be great cuz there open with enough room to fit a camp with several trailers and 20 peeps no problem!! The only problem is its right by the hills where they filmed the movie "the hills have eyes 2" so its kinda creepy !!!

Posted Image

• jetfuel

Posted March 23, 2008 - 04:35 PM

The only problem is its right by the hills where they filmed the movie "the hills have eyes 2" so its kinda creepy !!!

Speaking of creepy whats up with the inside of your trailer Denn?.... :confused:

Posted Image

• Norge

Posted March 23, 2008 - 05:32 PM

Now Thats just funny! Denn has a roof over the potty, I'm impressed.:confused:

• Agent2

Posted March 23, 2008 - 06:03 PM

Well, as Denn said, we got up there Friday only to find that there was no damn place to nail the sign to. We ended up tie wiring it to a marker pole for a gas pipeline - metal post with a orange and white striped sign. I had to stand on a milk crate so it's up pretty high and we tied it good so I'm thinking it will still be there when you Nevada guys show up.
Sploogemonkey - Denn used his GPS to mark the turnoff and possible campsite - if he sends you the co-ordinates, could you make and post a Google earth map so the location is easier to find?
If the weather is like it was this weekend we will definaltely need shade.
Martinfan, we have 2 threads about this trip on the board, can we merge them or lock one so any info posted dosen't get overlooked?

• sploogemonkey

Posted March 23, 2008 - 06:12 PM

Sploogemonkey - Denn used his GPS to mark the turnoff and possible campsite - if he sends you the co-ordinates, could you make and post a Google earth map so the location is easier to find?

Yup, yup. Already spoke with Denn this weekend by phone and once I get the coordinates from him, I'll do up a couple of maps and forward them to both him and you for verification of the actual spot, since you guys were both there this weekend and have the most current intel.

I've gotta go out to Hemet this evening and pick up my son, so I'll be out 'til at least 10 or so.

Good idea on locking the first thread, this one has a more appropriate title anyway.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.