All intending on being at Fremont for the April ride chime in.

426 replies to this topic

Poll: What months look good for each of you? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

What months look good for each of you?

1. March (5 votes [15.62%])

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

2. April (14 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

3. May (8 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. June (2 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

5. July (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote
  • sploogemonkey

Posted March 17, 2008 - 08:57 AM

I started the count down for the trip today, and began getting the check list together for all the stuff that has to be ready.

Truck and trailer maintenance checks.
Bike maintenance check.
Camping gear inventory and maintenance check.
Firewood.
Gas cans and tools.
EZ UP shade and chairs.
Menu and cooking necessities.
Etc., etc., etc..

Over the next two weeks I ought to be able to be somewhat ready so I'm not scrambling at the last minute..... as usual. :confused:

It'd be great if we get another good storm between now and then to soak the desert floor again, unlikely though. It poured and hailed like crazy one of the times I went out there, but it made for some awesome traction and no dust.

If you're into military aircraft, this camp location is pretty good thanks to its proximity to Edwards Air Force Base. I've seen some pretty good fighter and bomber maneuvers out there, hopefully they'll be doing some training that weekend.

• martinfan30

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:05 AM

Yeah i need to get off my butt and get my tires, tubes, rimlocks, chain and sprockets all done.

Hard to find time with a 2 yr old!

I'lll take rain, just no wind!

• Agent2

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:21 AM

I'lll take rain, just no wind!

Wind?? In that area?? Never happens....
For supplies, Ridgecrest has most everything store wise, Kramer Junction has gas, some fast food and a few Mini Marts for stuff like beer, sodas, ice etc.
I used to have access to lots of firewood, no more. I will gladly bring a big bag of chicken breasts if someone else wants to cook them, you don't want me near a BBQ unless you like your food "crispy".

• martinfan30

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:23 AM

Wind?? In that area?? Never happens....
For supplies, Ridgecrest has most everything store wise, Kramer Junction has gas, some fast food and a few Mini Marts for stuff like beer, sodas, ice etc.
I used to have access to lots of firewood, no more. I will gladly bring a big bag of chicken breasts if someone else wants to cook them, you don't want me near a BBQ unless you like your food "crispy".

If you bring that chicken, i'm sure there will be plenty o grills a cookin!

How far is Ridgecrest from camp?

Did you get out there with the sign, or was that next w.end...:confused:

• Agent2

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:27 AM

Kramer is about 15 - 20 minutes from camp, Ridgecrest just about the same. Hopefully get the sign up this weekend.

• Denn10

Posted March 17, 2008 - 10:40 AM

i think ridgecrest will be a little further that Kramer JCT but neither is bad depending on what you need. Im kinda bummed cuz i dont have smog for the beast (Chevy 4x4) so im starting to stress about getting out there with the truck n trailer. well see maybe a month permit cuz i wanna entertain people with my snoring and farting!!

Agent i know what you mean about the space burger place, only ate there a few times when we were going to Lake isabella turkey hunting but it was pretty good. youll have to settle for Luther's now AKA MLK

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted March 17, 2008 - 10:43 AM

i think ridgecrest will be a little further that Kramer JCT but neither is bad depending on what you need. Im kinda bummed cuz i dont have smog for the beast (Chevy 4x4) so im starting to stress about getting out there with the truck n trailer. well see maybe a month permit cuz i wanna entertain people with my snoring and farting!!

Is it just that you cant get it registered? We have no smog laws in carson county.

• Denn10

Posted March 17, 2008 - 10:44 AM

Agent i know what you mean about the space burger place, only ate there a few times when we were going to Lake isabella turkey hunting but it was pretty good. youll have to settle for Luther's now AKA MLK

Posted Image

HEY *** that some biatsh looks just like me just without the pink!!!

• martinfan30

Posted March 17, 2008 - 10:47 AM

That guys makes :confused: burgers.

• Denn10

Posted March 17, 2008 - 10:47 AM

Is it just that you cant get it registered? We have no smog laws in carson county.

got stuck with the "smog test station only" this year and my truck isnt really stock anymore. 350 SBC with dart iron eagle 2.06 heads, full MSD, Thorley headers, Edelbrock Victor Jr intake with Holley double pumper around 375HP LOL damn cali smog!!!:confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted March 17, 2008 - 10:49 AM

got stuck with the "smog test station only" this year and my truck isnt really stock anymore. 350 SBC with dart iron eagle 2.06 heads, full MSD, Thorley headers, Edelbrock Victor Jr intake with Holley double pumper around 375HP LOL damn cali smog!!!:confused:

If you get stopped, just say you are on the way to the smog station!

• Tattooart

Posted March 17, 2008 - 11:18 AM

If you get stopped, just say you are on the way to the smog station!

Now that would be funny. Says to the officer "I am on my way to the smog station, I just need to stop by the desert for a few days" :confused:

• Denn10

Posted March 17, 2008 - 12:26 PM

Now that would be funny. Says to the officer "I am on my way to the smog station, I just need to stop by the desert for a few days" :confused:

LOL they dont restrict where you go if you have a pass for the month, its not a pass to go straight to the smog station but a month long temp registration.

Would be funny with bikes in the back and trailer loaded up too LOL

• BWB63

Posted March 17, 2008 - 12:44 PM

What and what year?

• Agent2

Posted March 17, 2008 - 02:37 PM

Looks like another plaque at The Memorial http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=321921
I hope that when I have headed on the the great riding place in the sky, I will be lucky enough to have a spot there as well.

• Denn10

Posted March 17, 2008 - 09:07 PM

What and what year?

81 4x4 3/4 ton with 6" lift and 35x14.5 super swampers. its the beast, it never dies!! been a foot and a half in the air and wont die (definitely not purpously jumped)

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 17, 2008 - 10:03 PM

Need to get yourself a '75 or earlier truck(or a factory diesel of some kind) and be done with the smog checks. I got rid of a nice '89 Mustang GT I had because it was too hard to play the smog game here. I replaced it with a '68. I still have a stock '84 SVO and it barely passes. Even my '94 Toyota pickup doesn't pass as well as I'd like. It's a PITA.

• Denn10

Posted March 18, 2008 - 06:18 AM

yeah i just looked at the graph they have on DMV site about the smog years and such, it went to 08 only so im kinda wondering what it will look like from 09 and on. Not sure if there gonna change the 76 rule then or what. They cant keep it at 76 forever so i wanna get this one done and go from there in 2 years. Bieng around government i would love to get my hands on one of the govt chevy diesel trucks at an auction for sure.

• martinfan30

Posted March 18, 2008 - 06:40 AM

Need to get yourself a '75 or earlier truck(or a factory diesel of some kind) and be done with the smog checks. I got rid of a nice '89 Mustang GT I had because it was too hard to play the smog game here. I replaced it with a '68. I still have a stock '84 SVO and it barely passes. Even my '94 Toyota pickup doesn't pass as well as I'd like. It's a PITA.

What engine in your yota? What is too high for your liking? HC , CO?

• Agent2

Posted March 18, 2008 - 09:15 AM

Denn, you have probably seen this but I found this excerpt on a DMV website -

6. I can't make the DMV Registration deadline, what can I do?

Go ahead and pay the DMV your vehicles registration fees and get your "half way papers" (Not valid registration, but an attempt to show responsibility, plus not be charged late fees). You may then explain to the DMV agent your vehicle's repair/smog situation and ask for at least a 30 day Temporary Registration Tag. You can post this Document on your vehicle's rear window, and drive your vehicle legally for 30 days or more, depending on the Temporary Tags you are given. In the mean time you need to attempt to resolve your vehicle smog situation.

Maybe a loophole you can use?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.