Gonna Try something new...Little advise Please

18 replies to this topic
  • YAMAKAZE

Posted October 27, 2002 - 10:44 AM

I've raced alot of Motocross/Harescrambles/GNCC's but not a Real Enduro since I was a kid.....My race partner wants to run one in Central Alabama next weekend...I personally want to go somewhere to dial in my suspension, but Lane is a very good friend and, what the hell I'll try anything one or twice.....

Somebody give me a crash course on what I need to do or be ready to do...Please.

Bonzai :)

• endurodog

Posted October 27, 2002 - 11:15 AM

Kaze, sounds like you got the riding down and know about race prep with your back ground. With all that in mind you only need to know how to run an enduro. The Texas enduro curcuit has a pretty good write up on how to run them at

Texas Enduro Basics

The hands down best advice is introduce your self when you roll up to the start, tell the guys its your first enduro and then watch them. One of the reason I like racing enduros is that the guys are more friendly than the others.

Last but least, a race report at the end. Have fun.

• jwriott

Posted October 27, 2002 - 04:47 PM

I assume you don't want to buy an enduro computer just to try an enduro. A cheaper route is to get a roll chart holder and a cheap digital watch so you know where you are at on the course. They sell the jart charts at the signup.

You should probably just check out the guys on your minute at the start line. If they have computers or charts, see how they are doing after the first check. If they are staying on time, hang with them. If they are a little behind, wick it up a bit and stay ahead of them.

Remember, it's better to be late than early because you get penalized a lot harder for burning checks.

I'd just bring a screw driver with you and soften the suspension during the breaks. They'll give you several minutes to rest as long as you stay on time. Otherwise, you'll have ride during that time to make up minutes.

I wish I had time to do some enduro's as well. I've got 3 boys, 5, 2 1/2 and 10 weeks so I'm lucky to get out for a day here and there.

Have a great time,

Later,

John

• Dan_from_HB

Posted October 27, 2002 - 06:59 PM

I wouldn't buy all that stuff for one enduro. Just follow the guy on your minute that seems to know what he's doing. If he is an "A" or "AA" rider, all the better. They'll likely ride like hell until their computer tells them there's a possible check 1/10th ahead. Then they'll wait for the clock to catch up. You'll blast along and have lots of fun, then get a rest. Just leave the stops and resets when your guy leaves, and you'll be ok.
Then decide if you want to keep doing enduros. If so, then and only then, consider learning the timekeeping game and get some equipment.
Dan
PS: you might want to consider softening your compression damping a notch or two and stiffening your rebound a notch or two(both ends). If it's a real enduro, they'll likely cover some really nasty stuff along the way, and high speed cross country settings will likely be a handfull in the tough technical stuff.

• sabin

Posted October 27, 2002 - 11:15 PM

If you have bigger fuel thank - use it!
Get everithing needed to repair a flat with you.

• BrandonW

Posted October 28, 2002 - 05:43 AM

You really only need a couple of things: A watch and an odometer.

The club that will be sponsoring the enduro will be tasking you to see how fast you are, as well as how long you can go.

I've only done this twice, but it was not hard to figure out the timekeeping at all. You will have a chart available, and it will show you something like this:

Time Odo Speed
0:01 - 0.3 - 18mph
0:02 - 0.6 - 18mph
0:03 - 0.9 - 18mph
0:04 - 1.2 - 18mph
CHANGE
0:05 - 1.4 - 22mph

Blah, blah, blah....

Anyways, it will tell you, by the 4th minute of the enduro, you should have covered 1.2 miles, and if you are averaging the speed that they have idicated, you will have no problems.

Then there is math. You can only have a checkpoint where you are on an even 10th of a mile on the minute. My speeds (could be wrong, as this is just an example) indicate that you will do an even 3/10ths of a mile every minute, but some speeds will have you covering less or more than an even 10th on the minute, so those minutes would be inelegible for a checkpoint. Sounds difficult, but it is not. Once you get that, you will think that you are all over it.

Thing is, the club holding the event will throw some curves, so they can determine a winner. In a couple of spots, they will indicate a MPH, but that speed will be very, very difficult to do. You will come out of that stage a minute or two behind. Take your lumps, and hope that others are 3 or 4 behind.

Before I did my first enduro, I did not "calibrate" my Panoram as good as I should have. That threw me off on thousandth's, and after 20 or so miles, I was off on tenth's, and you can see how this ends.

So, for advice, I would say get that Panoram (they do everything that you need done) and a roll-chart holder. If they have a class prior to the event, spend the time there, as they will really go over the timekeeping aspect. Other than that, bring it.

Brandon

• endurodog

Posted October 28, 2002 - 06:19 AM

Lots here are giving the watch and roll chart advise. I would suggest not worrying about it for your first enduro. Try to just hook up with someone on your minute, key off of them, and enjoy the ride.

• jwriott

Posted October 28, 2002 - 06:41 AM

I was assuming a couple of things when I responded. First, you would at least like the chance at winning your class. Without a chart holder, odometer and watch, all you can do is ride the enduro. A "Count Down" chart holder is less than $20.00.

You need to be able to change the mileage on the odometer when you get to a "Reset". You get free mileage so you can rest. I didn't realize you could do that with the Panoram, but if you can that would work fine.

Second, I am assuming you will enter the C class since your signature is "E&TRA/GNCC #829 Senior/C". If this is true, there is no way you will start with an A, AA or even B riders. You will be put in the back with the C riders and everyone on your minute will be a C rider. There will probably be people on your minute who are not fast enough to stay on time.

This is done so that the AA, A and B riders do not have to pass all the slower riders just to stay on time. Typically, AA goes first, A second, B third, etc.

Since you are signing up late, you'll be towards the rear of the C class as well. The course will probably be pretty torn up by the time hundreds of riders have gone through so softening your suspension before you start may help.

Good Luck,

John

• BrandonW

Posted October 28, 2002 - 07:09 AM

And the reason that I advocate learning the timekeeping aspect is four-fold:

1. It ain't tough figuring out how to keep time;
2. You won't have to rely on somebody else;
3. If you don't have another person on your minute, you will be lost from the get-go;
4. If you are faster than the guy on your line who does know how to keep time, it will be rough grabbing that guy and making him sit on your handlebars so you can go fast.

Not saying that it cannot be done, but if he don't want to be up there, it gets more difficult.

Have fun Kaz!

Brandon

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YAMAKAZE

Posted October 28, 2002 - 08:53 AM

Now thats Funny......

Thanks,

• Dan_from_HB

Posted October 28, 2002 - 12:27 PM

Guess I should have asked if you were planning on timekeeping. If so, winning even the C class here in Calif is not that easy, but maybe a Panoram and a roll chart holder would work. If not, I would just key your speed to someone on your line. Also, here in Calif, each line generally contains one each AA, A, B, C riders, and many have a D as well. This is so the riders in the same class cannot simply key on each other. May be different in your area.
Winners and losers here are typically determined by seconds, not minutes. It's entirely possible my friends and I are not the sharpest tools in the shed, but learning to timekeep while riding in an actual enduro is no cakewalk. You'll not likely be challenging Randy Hawkins after one race. Much of this has to be quite automatic so you can calculate it instantly. And the key to getting into that check right on time is knowing WHERE THE POSSIBLE CHECK LOCATIONS ARE. You can do it manually if you are really good, or with a real enduro computer, but you can't do it with a Panoram. They don't identify possibles.
If it were me on my first enduro, I'd just ride with someone who looks like they know what they are up to. If you are by yourself, try to stay a minute behind the guy in the row ahead of you. Ride fast enough to stay with him. When he stops, you stop. When he leaves, you wait exactly one minute, then you leave. Etc. That will at least keep you from houring out or dq'ing because you were 15 minutes early.
Have fun! When you get older, this might become your game when you can't go WFO all day any more.
Dan
PS: If you want to try timekeeping, check out some of the links on this website. Good basic explanation of enduros and timekeeping techniques.
http://www.dirtrider...sera/Links.html

• endurodog

Posted October 28, 2002 - 08:51 PM

You may be able to get on the line with an A or even AA rider depending on the curcuit. Some curcuits let everyone sign up where they want, some dictate that A's go first, B's next, and C's last.

As far as time keeping goes, I actually bought an ICO enduro computer for my first enduro. Didn't help, I houred out at the first check, but thats another story. I actually get lots of questions on running enduros, I'm the membership officer for the RMEC enduro curcuit, and for first timers my usual answer is don't worry about spending the money on time keeping issues, come out ride one, see what you think, and then if its something you like then invest in what ever form of time keeping appeals to you. But in the end it is what are you trying to accomplish, have fun or go for a win.

• Merfman

Posted October 29, 2002 - 04:29 AM

Dog makes a good point. No slam to your ability, but I seriously doubt you'll
win your very first event. There's just too many things that you aren't going
to know about, that will/could cost you a win. Just go ride to see what to
expect next time. I'd be willing to bet that there WILL be a next time. I entered
my very first enduro in the 4 stroke B class, on an 82 XL250R. I easily won
the spode of the event crown. I finished, but I was bushed and swore I'd never
race another enduro. 100+ enduros later, I obviously was hooked.

My advice:
Ride the first one to just get a feel for the event.

Don't be afraid to let eveyone know it's your first event. Enduro riders
are over-the-top helpful.

If you're caught from behind, pull over and let the rider by. If he's fast enough
to catch you, he's fast enough to pass you and you don't want him to be
rude about it. That's about the only thing that enduro riders get testy about.
Or maybe it's just me. :)

Discuss the route sheet with an experienced rider, if possible. There will be
hints on that sheet that will prove to be invaluable.

Take snacks and drinks. Power Bars and water are fine.

Expect difficult sections and know that they'll likely be "short"

Post a writeup once you're finished.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Merf

• cnacc

Posted October 29, 2002 - 04:54 AM

endurodog, Merf, are there any enduros comming up here in colorado. I have been thinking I would really like to try one.

• Merfman

Posted October 29, 2002 - 05:07 AM

There's one this weekend in Utah that's part of the RMEC.
There's one in Texas on 11/17 that's also part of the RMEC.

I don't know anything about the UT race as it's a first timer on the circuit.
The race in Texas is a GREAT event IMHO. It's won the TSCEC EotY
for the last two years. I highly recommend that race. If you'd rather wait
until next year, a great first timer event is the Last Chance Enduro in Last
Chance Colorado. It's usually Mother's day.

For details, go to:
www.racermec.org (RMEC website)
www.tscec.org (TSCEC website)

Merf

• YAMAKAZE

Posted October 29, 2002 - 05:30 AM

I'm just doing this for fun....Lane wanted to try one, and We don't have a race scheduled for this weekend so I figured why not.....I'm going to use it to tune my upgraded suspension. I figure I'll hook up with someone who knows the ropes and I'll just fall in behind them....

Who knows I might enjoy it and really be in trouble with the wife...

Thanks...

• endurodog

Posted October 29, 2002 - 06:40 AM

cncc, Merf covered it pretty well, if you don't want to travel to UT or the last race of the season for the RMEC down in Texas in a few weeks, the close ones will be next year. We have a couple of non time keeping events on the curcuit that lots of fun. If ya got any questions about any of them let me know.

Kaze, have fun and don't forget the race report!

• huskyrider

Posted October 29, 2002 - 03:54 PM

Make polite introductions, let 'em know it's your first time.
Take a close look at who's on your minute and see who looks the most prepared. Chances are he'll take the lead from your group, hang with him,if he leaves you ride until you see he's slowed down then let him lead you in.
I've only done a few, but I had a great time. The folks are friendly and only slightly chuckled about my unwillingness to want to keep time. All you need is a odometer, a wristwatch, and a chart holder.
I know you guys will have a good time!

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 29, 2002 - 05:12 PM

If it were me on my first enduro, I'd just ride with someone who looks like they know what they are up to. If you are by yourself, try to stay a minute behind the guy in the row ahead of you. Ride fast enough to stay with him. When he stops, you stop. When he leaves, you wait exactly one minute, then you leave. Etc. That will at least keep you from houring out or dq'ing because you were 15 minutes early.
Have fun! When you get older, this might become your game when you can't go WFO all day any more.
Dan

This is great advice!! Perfect plan!!! Before I kept time, this is what I used to do. Face it, some guys are going to show up with no computers at all and still have a blast. The really fast enduro racers are used to having guys tag along. It's no big deal because they know as the race progresses so does the speed and difficulty of the terrain and novice riders won't be able to keep up. (at least this is what I've experienced out here in SoCal in the D37 races). Watch for the numbers on the fronts of other bikes, if you start seeing bike with numbers far from yours, make adjustment accordingly. My brother and I race some D37 races with our Pacemaker3's. Those things rock!!! We program one of them and then upload it to the other one through the infared data-port. Then it's just a matter of watching the computer to tell you to speed up or speed down.

Kaze, If I could give you one piece of advice it's to ride a little faster than you think you should be riding (as far as time goes NOT you ability). Why? Because many clubs will purposely throw a nasty section in just to get you way off the pace. Stay on top and don't loose too much time, I'm well aware that you loose more points for being ahead but as the race progresses you won't be able to keep up with the pace. Even Ty Davis finishes minutes behind and still wins, the club wants to see who comes closest. Best of luck to you, I feel that enduro racing is the best and hardest racing out there.

Dan

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.