magic button?

14 replies to this topic
  • thumpyz

Posted February 20, 2008 - 07:05 PM

How many of you out there swear by the magic button? Before i got into 4 strokes, my buddy used to tell me that i needed a crf450x:blah: . He couldnt imagine why anybody would want to kick start their bike if all they could do was push a button. riding his was my first 4 stroke experience and left me not really wanting one. It is a heavy pig!!! I got into a 04 YZ450F and fell in love with it. He has easily spent $2000 to try to make his magic button bike like a 450r. My stock bike will tear apart his "R" moded 450X any day of the week, but still he swears by the button.:applause: I dont get it. My bike is NEVER hard to start, hot or cold, it doesnt matter. I would never trade my ass kicking performance for his heavy slow convenience.:) Are the WR's viewed the same way? Maybe I am being one sided, but i just dont see another side to it. hat do you guys think?

• 450_gal

Posted February 20, 2008 - 09:32 PM

I'm with you, babe. I've ridden the 250x and people keep saying that I'm "a girl, and need the 'magic button'." Not only do I not want an X, I want the big bike. I need the 450 power :applause:

I've personally seen the CRF450x in action, and I could catch it on my CR250 before it was moded and can almost still catch it.

Electric start isn't an issue for me and I'm a short (5'3") woman. I'd rather shave some seat foam and have the roll on power of an R than push a button and have a more sluggish bike. Maybe the WR's are different? I know I haven't been all that impressed with the Hondas.

• grayracer513

Posted February 20, 2008 - 09:41 PM

Maybe the WR's are different? I know I haven't been all that impressed with the Hondas.

WR's in stock form are pretty sluggish by comparison with a YZ. One cam, a good exhaust, and a few free tweaks will fix that, but there's still a 20+ pound penalty. The gearbox and all the juice the stator puts out are neat stuff, though.

• RJB

Posted February 21, 2008 - 05:49 AM

...and don't forget the suspension on the WR is not built to handle the smallest of jumps. Fixing that is a costly problem. I gave up on it a while back and decided to buy a new YZ instead.

• William1

Posted February 21, 2008 - 07:44 AM

...and don't forget the suspension on the WR is not built to handle the smallest of jumps. Fixing that is a costly problem. I gave up on it a while back and decided to buy a new YZ instead.

A little extreme of a comment, isn't it?

A WR has its' place as well as a YZ has its' place. Two similar but different bikes.
Racing MX? Ride the YZ
Ride the woods? Get the WR

Cruise the highway? Get a big Benz
Blast back roads? Get a Carrera

Similar, but not the same.

• almostinvincible119

Posted February 21, 2008 - 09:20 AM

do you really have the coin to run a porshe on backroads? thats retarded...maybe you meant WRX

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2008 - 09:51 AM

do you really have the coin to run a porshe on backroads? thats retarded...maybe you meant WRX

I don't really care for rear engine cars, but I'm sure that by "back roads", Wm didn't intend to suggest there was anything other than pavement involved. Something more along the lines of a road that an R6 would like.

BTW, I don't really care for the WRX, either. Not on asphalt.

Retarded? How rude.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WGP

Posted February 21, 2008 - 09:55 AM

I heard of putting electric start buttons on MX bikes in the near future, they would do this by having to kick it when cold the after running it for awhile it would charge a small battery(or something similiar) and have enough juice to e-start it.
This way the weight difference would be really small.

I would be interested in this, My 05 WR450 e-start is amazing and works better than Ktm's or Honda's (IMO). The battery and starter are heavy.....not want you want for racing. So now I got a 06 YZ450 (flywheel+18"rear and its just like the WR but faster in the low/mid range :applause:

• William1

Posted February 21, 2008 - 10:04 AM

I don't really care for rear engine cars, but I'm sure that by "back roads", Wm didn't intend to suggest there was anything other than pavement involved. Something more along the lines of a road that an R6 would like.

BTW, I don't really care for the WRX, either. Not on asphalt.

Retarded? How rude.

Back roads for me are paved as Gray figured. They are the ones that go over rises, sweeping curves, past farms. Speed limit is 55 but it is safe to often do 100 as there are no driveways, no traffic, fences on both sides keeping critters out.
LOL, I am not a Porsche person too, actually, I am a Ferrari kind of guy. As with a dirt bike, it is no fun unless you use it for what it was designed.
I would not mind a WRX (better still a 70's Lancia Stratos) for a dirt road but, around here, they are mostly peoples driveways, albeit a few miles long in some cases. No way would I go ripping up a persons driveway, spewing the gravel off.

Did I get far enough off topic? :applause:

• salasmauricio

Posted February 21, 2008 - 11:26 AM

I used to have a WR450, earlier this year I bought a 2008 YZ450, couldn't be happier.

• bleetham

Posted February 21, 2008 - 11:38 AM

My 06 450 is an easy starter, 1-2 half hearted kicks and it lights up. The only reason I would like the magic button is for racing. It doesn't happen often, but stalling my bike during a race means I'm pretty much going to lose 4-5 places (once I went from 2nd to 10th on the last lap). The hard part is finding neutral with roost hitting you in the face. I've tried starting the bike in gear and most of the time I can't do it, too much clutch drag. If the 2009 YZ came with electric start I would buy it in a flash just for the reason I've stated above. If I were using the YZ as my trail bike then I wouldn't care about the electric start, in a non race situation it is a very easy starter.

• MATTH530

Posted February 21, 2008 - 12:21 PM

Lets just hope Yamaha dont follow KTM and do button start only that sux.

• thumpyz

Posted February 21, 2008 - 12:26 PM

WHY DO THE OFF RAOD BIKES(WR, x) HAVE 18 INCH rear tires? I dont understand the advantage here.

• William1

Posted February 21, 2008 - 01:51 PM

Taller sidewall, can run a lower pressure with less chances of dinging a rim.

• RJB

Posted February 21, 2008 - 03:40 PM

A little extreme of a comment, isn't it?

A WR has its' place as well as a YZ has its' place. Two similar but different bikes.
Racing MX? Ride the YZ
Ride the woods? Get the WR

Cruise the highway? Get a big Benz

Similar, but not the same.

Not extreme at all. I DO ride the woods - in fact jungle on the island of Borneo, and the suspension is dire. Want to try and get it revalved out here? Not an option. Get more than 3 feet of air, and you're in for a harsh landing. My 02 YZ has better suspension. Does it have its place, yes, just not for me.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.