Anyone have any XR600Rs?

51 replies to this topic
  • HeadTrauma

Posted February 21, 2008 - 11:26 PM

Sometimes I feel 600s get left out what with all the 650L and 650R stuff that drowns them out.

Here's my '95:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Coolidge

Posted February 22, 2008 - 04:08 AM

Hey Headtrauma (nice bike BTW), Im in Palmdale, lemme know if you wanna ride sometime???

• sploogemonkey

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:45 AM

Hey Coolidge,

How 'bout both you and HeadTrauma make it out to the Husky Memorial ride the first weekend in April?

Shouldn't be too far for you guys, and I wouldn't mind having another couple of 600R riders along to keep the 650 guys honest. :smirk:

• Coolidge

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:48 AM

Hey Coolidge,

How 'bout both you and HeadTrauma make it out to the Husky Memorial ride the first weekend in April?

Shouldn't be too far for you guys, and I wouldn't mind having another couple of 600R riders along to keep the 650 guys honest. :smirk:

.....I am THERE! :)

• Eurobiker

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:58 AM

Great tractor like torque, 50lbs lighter than an L. If you find one that's already plated, that's a big plus. :smirk: Certainly not as fast as newer models, but a wonderful trail bike, none the less. The 92 and newer had the cartridge forks and rear disc brake, although a lot of people put on CRF or other fancier fron ends. This is lost on me, I just ride it. Mine is currently undergoing a top end rebuild with a 98 mm 11:1 piston.

• zipper600

Posted February 22, 2008 - 09:51 AM

The 92 and newer had the cartridge forks and rear disc brake, although a lot of people put on CRF or other fancier fron ends. This is lost on me, I just ride it.

Mines a 94. Its only a lost if you pay for the job or the parts. My 2004 KTM front end was for free :smirk:

• zipper600

Posted February 22, 2008 - 10:01 AM

cause we dont want to screw up our great XRs with ktm crap.

Let me see:

Stock XR forks 1994 - 43mm - Showa - hydraulic adjustable on bound

KTM 640 SM 2004 - 48mm - White Power -hydraulic adjustable on bound and rebound.

10 years of evolution between both!!Should i call it crap??Did i mention it was for free??? :smirk:

Just because i have a Honda, i dont say they are the best.........

• HeadTrauma

Posted February 22, 2008 - 10:16 AM

Hey Coolidge,

You're right, it's probably less than a 1.5hr drive from Luncancer, eh, Lancaster. That's pretty short considering I'm used to driving out to either the Death Valley monument or the Owens Valley. I can't guarantee I'll make the ride, but Billahjack is in Lancaster also. Ya'll can go hassle him as well. :)

/hijack.

Hey Headtrauma (nice bike BTW), Im in Palmdale, lemme know if you wanna ride sometime???

Will do. Thanks for the kind words. I wish I could say I styled it myself, but I bought it the way it sits. Then again, I liked how it was setup anyway. :ride: The price was a slightly high, but I didn't think I could buy a stock bike and install the Yoshi exhaust for what I paid for this whole mess. That's leaving out the IMS tank, Pro Tapers, upper clamp, fork brace, mud skins, front disc cover/rear disc guard, etc.

• martinfan30

Posted February 22, 2008 - 02:10 PM

Hey Coolidge,

If any one wants to go to this ride, post here so we can get a head count.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=608409

• zipper600

Posted February 23, 2008 - 05:03 PM

as promised..:smirk:

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted February 24, 2008 - 07:03 AM

Very nice!:smirk: How did you get the KTM triples to fit? What KTM is that from?

• zipper600

Posted February 24, 2008 - 08:17 AM

Forks are from a KTM 640 LC4 Supermoto 2004. 48mm WP

KTM steering stem was machined to fit stock XR bearings.Clamps were from a KTM 450EXC 2004 i think.

Front wheel from a KTM SM 2003.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• BackinAction

Posted February 24, 2008 - 04:59 PM

I've got a '97 that I bought used late last summer. Awesome bike. I love it! Check my garage for a pic, although not a very good one. As I get some better ones, I'll post them.

"Bulletproof" is a good word for it. Mine has been upgraded, raced, blown up, rebuilt, and still runs hard... gobbs of power for any situation, and enough low end torque to allow you to putter through the woods.

Previous posts regarding size and "limp wristed vegetarians" are more than true. I'm 5'11" and 182 pounds and I touch the ground with my tippy-toes. A whole lot of bike that won't often let you down. If you buy it/bought it, I don't doubt you'll enjoy.

Some other contacts for opinions or upgrade suggestions... LVThumper used to own the actual bike that I have. Owyhee has a '99 that I've riden and don't have a bad thing to say about it. Might PM them and ask them their thoughts.

• DannyG

Posted February 25, 2008 - 11:47 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
ps the bike is stock and this was during off road ride!
i'm 6'1 and 185lb
i love it more then my CRF450X. was thinking about sale but can do it. :) :smirk:

• BackinAction

Posted March 04, 2008 - 06:43 PM

Figured I'd bump this thread with a couple of pictures of my '97. It looks kinda rough now, but it's about to get a decent makeover... new(er) plastics, clean tank, new rear tire coming real soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• micknmeld

Posted March 04, 2008 - 07:52 PM

Mine is a 1999 model bought 2000, 630 big bore kit, pretty stock otherwise(probably keep it that way) with 4000km's on the clock. Still rides as new. Reliable to the extreme. There is a pic in my garage if you want to have a look.(still cant work out how to post pics to forums).I have put new Ballards XR's only sticker kit on it since the pic was taken.
I also have a 08 KTM 530 but probably ride the XR more as it is much more comfortable to ride on those longer trail rides and heaps cheaper and easier to maintain.
I will probably keep the XR600 forever because when the KTM is dead and gone it will still be chuggin' away.:thumbsup:
My only gripe with her is, if you drop it when it is hot, it can be a bitch to start.

• martinfan30

Posted March 04, 2008 - 07:55 PM

http://photobucket.com/

This is the photo hosting site I use. Free and relatively easy to use once you start.

• BackinAction

Posted March 04, 2008 - 08:32 PM

There is a pic in my garage if you want to have a look.(still cant work out how to post pics to forums).

I use the same one... photo hosting site, that is. Works great. Once you have your photos uploaded, you just have to click on the IMG link associated with the photo you want to post, which automatically copies it to your clipboard. Then, you just paste it into your post and when you submit the post, the photos appear! Just like magic! :thumbsup:

• micknmeld

Posted March 04, 2008 - 08:54 PM

Yeah,I did the photobucket thing after reading a post about it.Signed up and all that and that is as far as I went, clean forgot about it.
I will suss it out and start some picy posting in the near future.
Cheers
Mick

• kidcurry600r

Posted March 05, 2008 - 07:15 AM

Just use: http://xs.to/

here you go micknmeld
Posted Image

no account needed for quick pic uploading.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.