2006 WR / YZ Cam Mod

3 replies to this topic
  • Crazy2

Posted February 20, 2008 - 06:11 PM

I currently have 2006 WR450 and looking to get a little more performance from the bike. I have done all the free performance mods to the bike. The last is the engine timing.

The intake cam on the WR & YZ are the very same. It is only the exhaust cam that is different.

So these are my questions.

Cam Mod
1. If you retain the stock exhaust cam and rotate the exhaust cam clockwise one tooth is there a big difference in performance? Has anyone done this?

2. If you purchase the YZ exhaust cam, is it installed in the stock factory position or is the exhaust cam advanced one tooth. As anyone done this mod?

3. Which mod performs the best?

Thanks for the help guys.

• dirtysouth

Posted February 20, 2008 - 06:19 PM

I currently have 2006 WR450 and looking to get a little more performance from the bike. I have done all the free performance mods to the bike. The last is the engine timing.

The intake cam on the WR & YZ are the very same. It is only the exhaust cam that is different.

So these are my questions.

Cam Mod
1. If you retain the stock exhaust cam and rotate the exhaust cam clockwise one tooth is there a big difference in performance? Has anyone done this?

2. If you purchase the YZ exhaust cam, is it installed in the stock factory position or is the exhaust cam advanced one tooth. As anyone done this mod?

3. Which mod performs the best?

Thanks for the help guys.

Should do a search on this subject...will probably get you a more in respectable answer. If you turn back the exhaust cam for the WR you will run into issues with the hot start lever...YZ factory stock...like I said, do a search and you will probably get all of your questions answered.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:56 PM

From the FAQ Sticky...

Q: How many link pins are between the cam marks for YZ timing?
A: If you have a 400 or 426, you will need to rotate the exhaust cam sprocket 1 tooth clockwise at TDC. This will give you 12 pins between the marks, stock is 13. [COLOR="Red"]If you have a 450, you will need to buy a YZ exhaust cam as the rotation method does not work due to the decomp pin.[/COLOR]

The YZ exhaust cam is already indexed properly and should be installed with the punch mark at the top of the head, just like the intake cam...SC

• beezer

Posted February 21, 2008 - 07:48 AM

The YZ cam should drop right in.

On my 08 the valves didn't even need adjustment.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.