Strictly for "L" guys - "R" guys - Do NOT read!

233 replies to this topic
  • YZERIK

Posted February 23, 2008 - 01:58 PM

lol, any one witha brain knows that the R is a mans bike, the L is just a 30 year old bike with a 2008 or w/e model year

• Old Dog

Posted February 23, 2008 - 08:05 PM

lol, any one witha brain knows that the R is a mans bike, the L is just a 30 year old bike with a 2008 or w/e model year

I think your math skills are a little lacking there son. The first production year of the XR650L was 1992. Simple math; 2008-1992=16, which is no where near "30 years".

Please, if you're gonna insult the L, at least get your facts straight first. :smirk:

• radvocaat

Posted February 23, 2008 - 08:08 PM

I just bought a plated 600R with passenger peg mount welded up, so... air cooled, no electric start, no big power. Where do I fit in?...

This is useless

I agree!

Your 600r should have more power than a XRL.

I owned a 'L' for five years. More mods than I like to admit.

If you want a real dirt bike, buy an R. The L can do it, but it's harder on you.
The L is ten years + older tech than the R.
The R is old tech now.

I went with the R, the exc-R! Now that should ruffel someone up here!

Seriously, the XRL is a f'n awesome bike, it took me places that had my buds jaws dropping.

For the kind of riding I do, now, I have the right bike, now!

Oh ya, and that R 'rear' fender is not flapping, it's waving good bye!

• Old Dog

Posted February 23, 2008 - 08:23 PM

hehehehehe ..... at least the XR650L is still in production, which is more than can be said for the XR650R. :smirk:

• cleonard

Posted February 23, 2008 - 10:31 PM

I think your math skills are a little lacking there son. The first production year of the XR650L was 1992. Simple math; 2008-1992=16, which is no where near "30 years".

Please, if you're gonna insult the L, at least get your facts straight first. :smirk:

Well 30 years is stretching it, but in my view it is more than 16. The original engine design came out in 1983 with the XR500 and the XL600. The only really new things in the engine are the decomp mechanism and the starter and those were in the 1988 NX650. Chassis wise the XR600 got cartridge forks and a disk rear in 91, but those really came from the 1988 CR's.

So it's a 25 year old engine design and a 20 year old chassis. So what? It's still selling after all this time. It's a good design.

• Ch47_pilot

Posted February 24, 2008 - 12:24 AM

Hello my righteous fellow L riders. May I take a moment of your time to explain why our comrades on that "other" red bike incessantly give us grief? Well, it's obvious to even the casual observer. It all boils down to insecurity. We all know the L is a manly man's bike. It's obvious, it's indisputable. Guys like us don't need to make a statement, we ARE statements. I guarantee that to a man, our R brethren were the types that got pushed around in school whereas we were the types to do the pushing around. This whole thing (and again, I guarantee this!) is related to short man syndrome!!! Don't question me on this, I know people!!
I beseech you therefore, my bosom buddies, pity these poor souls and be nice!:smirk:

My post is referring to the 600R/650L. I don't consider the 650 R to even be in our family.
I was originally going to buy an L, and I already even had one picked out, and all the Dave's mods planned out, but I later found out that the engine apparently was trashed, and it woulda been a good 4 week wait for the shop to rebuild, so as I decided I didn't wanna wait til the shop rebuilt it, nor contemplate how many little metal particles floated around the engine before it had quit. I went back to the store to get my deposit back one afternoon, and low and behold, a nice, fresh R had shown up that very day. Purchase price and $300 later for street legal mods, I was roaring off down the sidestreet behind the shop at 20 MPH, trying to even get the balls to reasonably utilize the low end power this thing had, and confused as all hell to do it from so high in the air. It took a good long time to get used to, but I love my lighter, and barely-legal looking R with no turn signals. I will always appreciate my L brothers and ride with them on any day, though. Why must you schism our fond and unique appreciation for slightly and massively overweight, air-cooled dirt bikes?

• BBA

Posted February 24, 2008 - 06:14 AM

BIBLEMAN: There would be no controversy here if those R guys (?) would just "read and heed" the thread title (L guys only). The higher intellect L riders would NEVER think about hijacking an R riders only thread. Right guys? And speaking for the vast majority of the L crowd, suffice to say, we are comfortable in our own skins. We choose motorcycles like some people choose fine wines. And besides, we want a bike we can still get parts for in a year or two. OGB

Come on OGB. Bibleman knew what he was doing when he titled this topic. Its like laying out a crack pipe at a herion party. It may not be the drug of choice but its still going to get smoked because the temptation is too great:crazy: The L being like a fine wine eh? Well maybe a good bottle of vintage BoonesFarm or some Maddog20/20 hahaha! I think this topic is good fun forsure. If you REALLY want to see a hornets nest get riled up go to a certain other "adventure" motorcycle website and say something bad about that total crapper of a bike in was of a KLR650. Some of those guys will get so pissed that they will stake out side of your house and try to snipper your butt! I think all Honda's are good in my book even though the XRR is just a little better than the others lol!:smirk:

• martinfan30

Posted February 24, 2008 - 06:36 AM

Come on OGB. Bibleman knew what he was doing when he titled this topic. Its like laying out a crack pipe at a herion party. It may not be the drug of choice but its still going to get smoked because the temptation is too great:crazy: The L being like a fine wine eh? Well maybe a good bottle of vintage BoonesFarm or some Maddog20/20 hahaha! I think this topic is good fun forsure. If you REALLY want to see a hornets nest get riled up go to a certain other "adventure" motorcycle website and say something bad about that total crapper of a bike in was of a KLR650. Some of those guys will get so pissed that they will stake out side of your house and try to snipper your butt! I think all Honda's are good in my book even though the XRR is just a little better than the others lol!:smirk:

I did that once... Make fun of their "beloved" KLR...

Oh buddy! I just sat back and took it all in!

That was before I realized that was "trolling":bonk:

Was still kinda funny though!

• wheelnut46

Posted February 24, 2008 - 07:41 AM

Want to see ADVriders foam at the mouth? Tell them their DR650's are inferior to the XR650L. Those people come out like mad hornets. IMO the KLR riders know what the KLR can't do so they focus only on long range riding. The DR guys and ladies there get all mad when it's brought to their attention that the bike weighs the same, is shorter, has a lousy seat, and the goofy oil cooler on the side (that's WAITING for a rock or stick to destroy) and is less dirt bike oriented than the XRL but less street bike than the KLR. It's the bastard stepchild of dual sports.
We all chose but I chose red.

Disclaimer - I would probably ride just fine on a DR but I still like to rile them up and poke fun because I love my XR.

• jetfuel

Posted February 24, 2008 - 08:17 AM

Want to see ADVriders foam at the mouth? Tell them their DR650's are inferior to the XR650L. Those people come out like mad hornets. IMO the KLR riders know what the KLR can't do so they focus only on long range riding. The DR guys and ladies there get all mad when it's brought to their attention that the bike weighs the same, is shorter, has a lousy seat, and the goofy oil cooler on the side (that's WAITING for a rock or stick to destroy) and is less dirt bike oriented than the XRL but less street bike than the KLR. It's the bastard stepchild of dual sports.
We all chose but I chose red.

Disclaimer - I would probably ride just fine on a DR but I still like to rile them up and poke fun because I love my XR.

So would they be the Ford , Dodge or (Toyota :smirk: ) of dual sports ?...

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Billahjack

Posted February 24, 2008 - 03:23 PM

You guys are funny.

Some of my friends are thinking of getting plated XR600's for Barstow to Vegas since their KTM's will bounce around too much and have hard seats. They also spent way too much on their new 525's so they are looking for under $2k deals on plated 600's.

This brings me to the following question:
How come you guys aren't throwing the XR600 into the debate here? Its lighter and I think more powerful that the 650L.

I believe the KLX650R was the first 650 watercooled, aluminum frame bike available in the US. It also had USD forks and a perimiter frame design. Too bad they didn't refine it. It would probably have been a closer rival to the 650R with a few tweaks. Anyway, that bike was way ahead of its time for the concept.

• Maroast

Posted February 24, 2008 - 03:35 PM

Its like laying out a crack pipe at a herion party. It may not be the drug of choice but its still going to get smoked ....The L being like a fine wine eh? Well maybe a good bottle of vintage BoonesFarm or some Maddog20/20 hahaha!

LOL. That was fantastic! I love analogies that involve crack :smirk:

that total crapper of a bike... a KLR650.

Hey!!!! The klr650 is actually a pretty good all around bike. you bastard.

This was my bike before some thief stole it...i hope the doohickie broke on him :)
Posted Image

• Billahjack

Posted February 24, 2008 - 03:38 PM

Dude, you hauling dirt home for a landscaping project?

• Maroast

Posted February 24, 2008 - 03:39 PM

I believe the KLX650R was the first 650 watercooled, aluminum frame bike available in the US.

nah, that thing had a steel frame. The kawi650 motor pulls pretty nice and is reliable as hell, but it has nothing on the 650R motor. Nothing. My first bike was a klr650 and i put a lot of miles on that thing....i recently rode my friends 2007 klr650....and WOW! compared to my XRR, that thing is a DOG!! But still a great bike for the price and versatility.

• Billahjack

Posted February 24, 2008 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the update on the steel frame. We see one every once in a while up here in the desert. There is a black one with plates running around town.

• Birdmove

Posted February 24, 2008 - 03:44 PM

Its great to say just get a plated R for those of you who don't live in a police state where doing that is just not legal. You can't and won't do that where I live in Washington State.You want a street legal on and off road bike you will buy a dual street legal dual sport.No dual spoort kit will ever again make a dirt bike street legal here. Dam shame.

jon

• Billahjack

Posted February 24, 2008 - 03:51 PM

I saw 2 used ones for sale on here in Washington in the past year with plates. I'm not sure how they got them. I was trying to get my buddy up there to buy them since he wants a dual sport. One was about $4k, the other was low $3k range.

The People's Republic of California is about as bad as it gets for dual sport laws. I just find bikes that were dual sported before the 2004 ban. They are around.

• Maroast

Posted February 24, 2008 - 04:02 PM

No dual spoort kit will ever again make a dirt bike street legal here. Dam shame.

Are you serious dude?!?! When did that happen? I always thought that Wash was one of those "free" states that allows the public to make their own decisions.... man, Navada just gets better and better looking...

• Big Red Paul

Posted February 24, 2008 - 04:05 PM

I guarantee that to a man, our R brethren were the types that got pushed around in school whereas we were the types to do the pushing around. This whole thing (and again, I guarantee this!) is related to short man syndrome!!!

[Posted Image
What was that you were saying about 'short man's syndrome', Bibleman?

Roll On Summer !

• martinfan30

Posted February 24, 2008 - 04:07 PM

Are you serious dude?!?! When did that happen? I always thought that Wash was one of those "free" states that allows the public to make their own decisions.... man, Navada just gets better and better looking...

Nevada is the place to live if you want to ride free in the endless deserts with no hassle.

UNTIL, more CA. lib's move in and try to make it just like the place they came from...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.