XR650R skid plate on an XR650L?

23 replies to this topic
  • durandal

Posted February 20, 2008 - 02:44 PM

Hi all.

A user on another forum (ADVRider) posted a pic or two of his XR650L sporting an XR650R skid plate. I PMd him, and he said that it fit with no problems, leaving only one of the 6 mounting brackets unused.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Has anyone done this here? What were your experiences with the mounting brackets?

For reference: Baja Designs R skid plate:

Posted Image

Baja designs L plate:

Posted Image

Utah Sport Cycles plate, for the L

Posted Image

And the Utah Sport Cycles for the R:

Posted Image

d.

• djones

Posted February 20, 2008 - 03:58 PM

what would be the advantage? If you have to buy one, then just get the right one for your bike. If you already have one left over from another bike, than try it and see.

• xr650l bum

Posted February 20, 2008 - 04:06 PM

I have one on my bike. Love it. I recommend to everyone who has an L. It is much larger. I did not like the brackets on the front, so I just drilled the two holes and mounted like the others. I did put some 1/2 inch spacers in the front because it wanted to rest against the case. I just did not want it to be rubbing. I also did not like the solid nature of the front. I took a 1/4 ( i think ) drill bit and drilled a pattern of holes. I did not want it to inhibit the air cooling. I did leave the center 6 inches solid.

• chakaxr650l

Posted February 20, 2008 - 04:20 PM

So the Rs' skidplates are actually thicker? Or just wider?

• xr650l bum

Posted February 20, 2008 - 04:23 PM

It is the wings of the plate that are whats better. The holes you see in all the plates are approx the same. In the msr, baja designs plate you have the two. In the utah you have six. It is much more substantial on the sides. Same thickness as the others. Maybe a little thicker.

• chakaxr650l

Posted February 20, 2008 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the info :applause:

• durandal

Posted February 20, 2008 - 05:26 PM

I have one on my bike. Love it. I recommend to everyone who has an L. It is much larger. I did not like the brackets on the front, so I just drilled the two holes and mounted like the others. I did put some 1/2 inch spacers in the front because it wanted to rest against the case. I just did not want it to be rubbing. I also did not like the solid nature of the front. I took a 1/4 ( i think ) drill bit and drilled a pattern of holes. I did not want it to inhibit the air cooling. I did leave the center 6 inches solid.

Thanks for the details. I have a few questions:

When you said you didn't like the brackets on the front, what exactly do you mean? You drilled two new holes for these brackets, and you mounted the two front brackets along the bottom, with the others?

What exactly did you use as a spacer?

So, just to be certain, this is is the Utah Sport Cycles R plate you have?

Thanks!

d.

• xr650l bum

Posted February 20, 2008 - 05:48 PM

I did not like the two brackets on the front of the utah that are used to attach the plate. I liked the two slots in the front of the BD plate where bolts are used to attach the plate. The 4 bottom brackets are good, same system. I used 1/2 inch alluminum spacers on the bolts between the plate and frame bracket to keep the plate from resting on the case. You can see this in the second picture.

• durandal

Posted February 20, 2008 - 05:55 PM

Sounds good! I might just go for the Utah Sport Cycles R plate instead of the L one.

d.

• xr650l bum

Posted February 20, 2008 - 06:01 PM

I did not spend my time so I could hear " Might ". Do it mister!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chakaxr650l

Posted February 20, 2008 - 07:04 PM

I just ordered a Moose one for the R. Looks the same as the Baja and Utah :thumpsup:

• xr650l bum

Posted February 20, 2008 - 07:13 PM

Dude! It is not the same. The baja and the utah are different.

• durandal

Posted February 28, 2008 - 12:06 PM

Well, I ordered the Utah Sports Cycles XR650R skid plate for my XR650L from the Wal-Mart of online dirt bike accessories (yes, I tried to use the TT store, but your catalog system and general user experience is atrocious. Yes, despite the fact that I had a 10% birthday discount).

It matches right up, all 6 brackets, firm as a rock.

Posted Image

Thanks for the help and advice.

d.

• chakaxr650l

Posted February 28, 2008 - 12:34 PM

Really? Sure looked the same. Will double check tonight.

• ghrati ghoti

Posted February 28, 2008 - 01:49 PM

What's the advantage of being wider?

I see a couple of disadvantages, Mud and crap collecting in there and a place to hang up my foot.

• durandal

Posted February 28, 2008 - 02:18 PM

The point is not to have a wider skid plate. The point is to have more coverage of the engine side covers. The fit is quite close.

d.

• chakaxr650l

Posted February 28, 2008 - 02:23 PM

The Moose plate is identical to the one in the pic above.

• bsclbc

Posted June 05, 2015 - 01:13 PM

I'm going to breath some life into this post after 7 years.  I made the mistake of ordering the Ricochet skid plate which doesn't work with the xrl.  So, I ordered on the looks identical to the photo above off ebay because the photo looked exactly like it.  I got it in the mail and it's the same exact thing as the Ricochet, just a different name on the packaging.  Any ideas where I can find the right one?  I have a feeling they aren't made anymore.

• jjast

Posted June 05, 2015 - 06:55 PM

why won't it work on the XRL? can you post up a picture?

• bsclbc

Posted June 06, 2015 - 10:51 PM

Sure can. I'll post back with a picture tomorrow afternoon.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.