06 YZ450 maint. questions

2 replies to this topic
  • nickrl

Posted February 20, 2008 - 01:53 PM

The bike has been perfect. Have studied the 2006 YZ450 reliability data from many experiences on this site. Has about 50 track hours by a plus 40 Int. rider. Ridden fairly hard... for me, I guess. Quality JASO oil changed regularly, clean air filter etc. I am going to replace the clutch plates, top end and timing chain, using OEM pieces. My mechanic insisted on having the head rebuilt on my 2005 using stainless springs etc. I am guessing that is overkill and am not planning head work, except for valve adjustment as needed. Does this sound about right? Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 20, 2008 - 02:42 PM

If none of the valves have closed (lost clearance) beyond the point where they are .01 - .02 below spec., then disassemble the head and replace the valve springs and guide seals using OEM parts. The whole set of springs is like $40 retail, and is just cheap insurance. When taking the head apart, be careful to keep the buckets, shims, and valves marked or stored in such a way as to insure they go back in their original locations only. Remove the carbon from the valves by dipping in carb cleaner (keep the valves marked, remember. Tie some wire to the left intake and exhaust to ID them. The center intake is shorter than the others) then wire brushing it off. DO NOT lap the valves, ever.

That should be all you need.

A valve needing adjustment beyond these limits almost certainly needs replacement.

• nickrl

Posted February 20, 2008 - 03:22 PM

Thanks Grayracer. Will do.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.