Reed's Bike's ingnition cover?

7 replies to this topic
  • Wiz636

Posted February 20, 2008 - 12:51 PM

Anybody know what's up with the different ignition cover? Where does the oil go in? Why only one window? Also notice the angle of the cam chain tensioner...

Posted Image

• railer80

Posted February 20, 2008 - 12:56 PM

look at his rotors also

• KJ790

Posted February 20, 2008 - 12:57 PM

That is a works magnesium ignition cover. Since they take the whole engine apart after every race, they don't need the holes to see the timing marks on the flywheel. By eliminating these holes you don't need to make the cover thick in that area to put threads in (so you can screw plugs in) and that makes the cover much lighter. The one plug that is there is where they pour oil in. I don't know about the cam chain tensioner angle, it does seem odd.

• KJ790

Posted February 20, 2008 - 12:58 PM

look at his rotors also

You can buy the rotors from braking, but they cost almost $500 :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • railer80

Posted February 20, 2008 - 01:01 PM

holy :applause: not worth the money for an amateur thats for sure.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 20, 2008 - 02:07 PM

There is not much on this bike that is under 500 bills......:applause:
Cover looks very similar to the Rinaldi cover
oil gets changed every ride I would assume
CCT angle is odd......I assume larger cam chain sprockets??

sure is purty...and expensive. What I would do just to have the forks and shock:censored:

• KJ790

Posted February 20, 2008 - 03:57 PM

It does look similar to the Rinaldi cover, but I think the Rinaldi cover is billet aluminum.

Posted Image

• 642MX

Posted February 20, 2008 - 04:28 PM

That is a works magnesium ignition cover. Since they take the whole engine apart after every race, they don't need the holes to see the timing marks on the flywheel. By eliminating these holes you don't need to make the cover thick in that area to put threads in (so you can screw plugs in) and that makes the cover much lighter. The one plug that is there is where they pour oil in.

It looks just like the SFB mag cover thats on my wifes bike. It doesn't have the timing holes either.....of course, they really are not needed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.