Has anyone tried a 400ex oil cooler?

14 replies to this topic
  • chakaxr650l

Posted February 20, 2008 - 05:43 AM

They seem to be going cheap on ebay. Has anyone done this or tried it? I may pick one up and try it out. Does anyone have one kicking around to measure?

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted February 20, 2008 - 06:57 AM

Yep, there are 10-20 threads about it already.

• martinfan30

Posted February 20, 2008 - 07:59 AM

http://www.thumperta...00ex oil cooler

This thread is about an XR650L with a 400ex cooler.

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:09 AM

http://www.thumperta...00ex oil cooler

This thread is about an XR650L with a 400ex cooler.

The 650L install will be exactly the same as a XR600.

• Denn10

Posted February 20, 2008 - 10:21 AM

there kinda big and i think JEFF is referring to a XR400 cooler not the ex flat cooler? ive yet to see a thread on here about a 400ex cooler, that one u put up marting is my first, i cant see the pics but installing it would be hard i think. When i looked at mine this past weekend it looks to be roughly 8/9 inches long so finding a good spot to mount it where it wont get damaged would be pretty hard. I just looked at em last week and for like $15 you can get em all day.

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted February 20, 2008 - 10:38 AM

Yep, sorry about that. I thought you were talking about the XR400. :applause:

• chakaxr650l

Posted February 20, 2008 - 01:13 PM

You mentioned them in another thread, Denn. I picked one up off EBay for $30 with lines today. Will find sometime and try mounting it. I figure even if it does not have the best airflow the added capacity is beneficial.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted February 20, 2008 - 02:14 PM

yeah i looked also but i was trying to figure out where it could mount???? Where you thinking about mounting it?

• chakaxr650l

Posted February 20, 2008 - 02:54 PM

No idea yet. :applause: Once I get a skidplate and uncork the bike I was going to start the process. I remember seeing a thread with an aftermarket cooler mounted on the right side in front and he fabbed his own guard. The smog pump bolt holes would aid in making a mount. Possibly between front forks, but the hoses would make me nervous. Once I get it I will start looking around the bike.
Will post updates and pics when done.

Here is the link of the bike that gave me the idea.
http://www.4strokes....?TOPIC_ID=28835

• ToXicD

Posted February 20, 2008 - 03:38 PM

you can attach it to the backside of your radiator to keep it protected

• chakaxr650l

Posted February 20, 2008 - 04:04 PM

you can attach it to the backside of your radiator to keep it protected

No rads. I have a L. I am planning on a after market tank so behind the fins would be a no go.

• Denn10

Posted February 20, 2008 - 06:48 PM

behind the fins is about as scary as having lines running in the open too, well brainstorm together cuz i would love to make it work with that cooler also.

• ToXicD

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:21 PM

dont worry about the lines not being totally protected. if you use the stainless hose with the right fittings there are other things you would need to worry more about. many people have ran the lines in the open, even up in front of the fender and i have never heard of any problems with the lines.

• dlock5

Posted October 30, 2015 - 05:22 AM

They seem to be going cheap on ebay. Has anyone done this or tried it? I may pick one up and try it out. Does anyone have one kicking around to measure?

I know this was a old thread, but did u ever put that trx400 oil cooler on your xr thx.

• they call me thumper

Posted November 21, 2015 - 04:04 PM

Bumpity. Kinda looking un to it myself

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.