Edelbrock Jetting - XR650R

6 replies to this topic
  • Lowside

Posted February 19, 2008 - 10:02 PM

Howdy XRers, I was psyched to see my Edelbrock had arrived today but am a little confused by the needle recommended in their install instructions. The instructions in the box say the correct needle for the XR650R is the 17 needle @ 12 clicks out, but the installed needle is a 19 @ 18 clicks out. I checked their web site and found the same install document, which is identical in every other way, says the correct needle is the 19 @ 18 clicks out. My riding altitude will generally be between 6,000 and 11,000 feet. To those running an Edelbrock, what needle and clicks are you using and what’s your riding altitude?

Thanks in advance,

Ted – Denver
2006 XR650R

• Descalzo

Posted February 20, 2008 - 05:00 AM

If you run a search there was a thread a few months ago from a couple of guys in CO & what they were running - seem to think it was the 17 @ 8/9000+, but I could be wrong. Run a search.

Don't forget that mods, temp & altitude change the needle just like a jet. Edel. "says" a 19 on their test bike that was stk with only a slip on muffler @ 1500' on a 75* day.

I'm @ 4000', avg daytime high is around 60. Bike run's a Uni filter inside a cut air box, Vince header w/a 2 Bros muffler & the 93db insert. I'm currently using the 19 needle @ 15 clicks. I think it's a little fat everywhere, but starts easy on a 35* morning.

I got ahold of an 18 needle and as soon as the temps start hit the 70's I'm going to drop that in & play with it.

• creeky

Posted February 20, 2008 - 06:20 AM

I took my son's Eddy equipped 650R to Taylor Park three years ago. He is running a 19E needle at 14-15 clicks out from full lean here at home (elev. avg. 800-900 ft.). At Taylor Park, I was running the clicker at 2-3 turns out from full lean and it was running just a little fat at the higher elevations. If I take it to CO again, I would run a 17E.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lowside

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I played with it a bit more this afternoon and ended up liking the 19 needle at 14 clicks out for riding around Denver. But... the Edelbrock didn't solve the problem I was trying to solve, an abrupt off - on throttle transition, so I don't think I'm going to keep it. Anyone looking for a gently used (one day old with about about 15 miles on it) Edelbrock for their XR650R shoot me a PM.

Ted - Denver
mapsmc@gmail.com

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 21, 2008 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I played with it a bit more this afternoon and ended up liking the 19 needle at 14 clicks out for riding around Denver. But... the Edelbrock didn't solve the problem I was trying to solve, an abrupt off - on throttle transition, so I don't think I'm going to keep it. Anyone looking for a gently used (one day old with about about 15 miles on it) Edelbrock for their XR650R shoot me a PM.

Ted - Denver
mapsmc@gmail.com

What?? Didn't like it?? There is no other carb I have tried that makes the throttle response as good as with the Edle. I think you just may not be used to a 650cc motor with all that vacuum acting on the carb. The stock carb is much worse off idle, and flames out, floods, etc.

• Agent2

Posted February 21, 2008 - 03:12 PM

The 19e needle seems to be the favorite for the high desert out here, average of 2500-3000 feet of elevation, so for the altitude you are riding at I'm guessing the 17e needle. As Krannie said, a properly adjusted pumper on the 650r is a beautiful thing.

• Lowside

Posted February 21, 2008 - 08:29 PM

What?? Didn't like it?? There is no other carb I have tried that makes the throttle response as good as with the Edle. I think you just may not be used to a 650cc motor with all that vacuum acting on the carb. The stock carb is much worse off idle, and flames out, floods, etc.

Naw, it's not that I didn't like it. I like it a lot but... I really can't afford it and it didn't solve the problem I desperately wanted it to fix, so I think I'll try to get some funds back out of it and load up on tires for spring... or maybe a steering damper??? :smirk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.