Fork seals

5 replies to this topic
  • skippy

Posted April 18, 2002 - 11:40 PM

The fork seals on my wr400-99 are leaking.
I've read some where that the Honda CR250r 1996 fork seals fit straight in & that they are a better seal with two cleaning points instead of just one.
I checked with Honda about the part number 51490MAC741 but they couldn't say if they will fit my wr400-99.
Has anybody found a better fork seal than the Yamaha ones.

• Sean_McCutcheon

Posted April 19, 2002 - 01:40 AM

I have tried a few different brands of seals. I first tried some off brand. I can't remember exactly what brand they were. It was something like K & S or K & O. Anyway I was recommended to try factory connection seals. They have held up for almost a year now. The first brand I tried lasted for about 2 rides. I guess the factory connection seals are made of a softer rubber which is supposed to help seal better. If you buy the whole kit from factory connection it will come with seals, dust seals and a new washer which is supposed to be better then the factory washer. Not sure why but so far I am happy with them. I believe the whole kit was around $60.00.

Good luck!

• MOmilkman

Posted April 19, 2002 - 03:23 AM

I was recommended some seals by a guy at my local riding area called "Pro-Moly Leak-Proof fork seals"
I got the ones that cost $24.99 (seemed like the best) and as long as they are installed correctly they are guaranteed FOR LIFE!

I got them from Dennis Kirk, so if you are intrested, go here>>>> Link

Then click on "Forks and related" and then just put in the model of your bike.

http://www.denniskirk.com/powervendor/include/thumbnail.asp?FileName=d:\images\dirtbike\/12/E5246A.jpg&size=200
I have only used them once so far so I dont know how well they hold up yet but hey, they fail, new pair! :)

[ April 19, 2002: Message edited by: MOmilkman ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mr_Toyz

Posted April 19, 2002 - 07:45 AM

Just my opinion.

I had my fork seals blow two times in the first year I owned my bike. I had my local shop change them the first time, at $125 per fork. After the second time I was determined to do them my self. I did. They lasted almost two years. THAT WAS ON STOCK SEALS, WITH STOCK SEAL SPRING LENGTH. I am conviced its in the way you do it. Here are a couple of the keys I believe make the difference:

1. Completely drain the tubes. I mean COMPLETELY!
2. Make sure both tubes have the exact same amount of oil.
3. Make sure you properly reinstall all the inner tube components.
4. Use a ton of waterproof grease under the dust covers.

I think I've got step by step directions around here somewhere if anyone is interested.

Good Luck!

[ April 19, 2002: Message edited by: Mr Toyz ]

• Tim_Heslip

Posted April 19, 2002 - 10:03 AM

I had great luck with the factory connection seals also. I also reccommend draining ALL your oil out and using lots of waterproof grease. It's not a bad idea to clean the darn things after a mud ride either. That is what burned me. Good luck.

Tim Heslip
1998 WR400

• RWCWOH

Posted April 20, 2002 - 01:50 AM

This is a copy of my post in Febuary. After 2 years of swiping my leaky fork seals for a couple of leak free rides at a time ,I broke down and replaced the seals myself.
A friend coached me through the process which is not hard at all, and shared with me the fact that the honda seals for a '96 cr250r will fit yz's and wr's. From Yamaha of Troy the oil seals for the wr are $9.22 each , and dust seals $13.83 each, $46.10 total before shipping.
The Honda seals are sold as a set w/1 oil, 1 dust seal for $12.62 per set! $25.24 total before shipping.
The honda part # is 51490-mac-741
I have a few rides on the new seals and they are smooth as butter! Use the money you save to replace the fork pistons and glide bearings. I have many more rides on them since and still no leaks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.