sticker residue

25 replies to this topic
  • thumpyz

Posted February 19, 2008 - 07:46 PM

Does anybody have any good tips or tricks for getting sticker residue off of your plastics? I am getting a new graphics kit and my old one left a bunch of glue on the shrouds. Any good ideas?

• freerideyz250

Posted February 19, 2008 - 07:49 PM

Brake parts or contact cleaner will disolve the glue. Be careful, it will dull the plastic slightly. Only use it where the graphics will cover.

• rustyknife

Posted February 19, 2008 - 07:51 PM

Acrysol! Thats the best thing you can use, its a body shop solvent, works great at removing grease stains from cloth also...and as a zippo fluid.

So maybe zippo fluid would work good?

I've heard wd-40 works pretty good too

• 642MX

Posted February 19, 2008 - 07:51 PM

Does anybody have any good tips or tricks for getting sticker residue off of your plastics? I am getting a new graphics kit and my old one left a bunch of glue on the shrouds. Any good ideas?

I use a heat gun and my fingernail.

• Norman

Posted February 19, 2008 - 07:52 PM

Probably not the best way, but I use gasoline. Be sure to clean good with soap and water and then I usually clan good with alchohol before applying new graphics.

• Slinkyman16

Posted February 19, 2008 - 07:58 PM

goo gone or oops! i love this stuff works on everything. takes the rub marks off your frame to.. not including all the chain cast off and scuff marks.

• cbrewer450

Posted February 19, 2008 - 08:02 PM

goo gone. awesome stuff.

• shawnspawn

Posted February 19, 2008 - 08:05 PM

I third goo gone. Cause it smells like citrus too :applause:

• thumpyz

Posted February 19, 2008 - 08:17 PM

I'll give the goo gone a try, thanks

• Smokeslider

Posted February 19, 2008 - 08:17 PM

I use WD-40, it breaks down the sticky and turns it into a goo that can be wiped off, if your reapplying stickers, you'll need to clean the WD-40 off before you apply the new stickers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KAS

Posted February 19, 2008 - 08:20 PM

Brake cleaner.

I've tried Goo Gone, Goop-Off, WD40, mineral spirits, etc, none of it works as good.

• grayracer513

Posted February 19, 2008 - 08:50 PM

Acrysol! Thats the best thing you can use, its a body shop solvent, works great

Goo Gone will remove the stuff eventually. WD-40 breaks it down faster, but then you have to remove the WD-40 with something else. Brake Cleaner is a little rough on the plastics, and evaporates so quickly that it can't carry the glue off the parts anyway. You have to go back repeatedly. Carb cleaner is better on both scores, but not a lot.

Acrysol is the best choice, IMO. Cuts the glue quickly, transports it well, and doesn't dull the plastics like carb cleaner can. Good call.

• stroker101

Posted February 19, 2008 - 11:08 PM

mineral spirits works well

• poakone

Posted February 19, 2008 - 11:17 PM

I use wd-40 then strip the wd off with brake cleaner, who cares if it dulls the plastic the plastic is covered in graphix. long as the graphix stick the plastic could be clear no one would know... Clear plastics. Hmmm theres an idea then scrw graphix.

• USED YZ426F

Posted February 20, 2008 - 05:34 AM

I am using mineral spirits on my bike right now (putting all new graphics on it). Mineral spirits will dull the plastic slightly, but you don't have to clean after it before putting on the new graphics. Just wait for it to dry.

I've heard that Pledge will shine the plastics back up and help them stay clean. Anyone here tried it with success?

• ben_suhard

Posted February 20, 2008 - 06:24 AM

Probably not the best way, but I use gasoline. Be sure to clean good with soap and water and then I usually clan good with alchohol before applying new graphics.

Yep, I use gas(petrol) too.

• Crabtree426

Posted February 20, 2008 - 07:40 AM

I use WD-40, it breaks down the sticky and turns it into a goo that can be wiped off, if your reapplying stickers, you'll need to clean the WD-40 off before you apply the new stickers.

It's amazing how WD-40 works being that it is an oil based product but I also use it to clean off residue especially on my chain and sprockets. As for the sticker residue, I fourth Goo Gone.

• lavens763

Posted February 20, 2008 - 07:45 AM

Acrysol! Thats the best thing you can use, its a body shop solvent, works great at removing grease stains from cloth also...and as a zippo fluid.

So maybe zippo fluid would work good?

I've heard wd-40 works pretty good too

I agree. I had a trailer with stickers that I took off and I went the local A&B auto paint shop and they got me some sticker remover made by 3M. The stuff works awesome! Doesn't take any shine off the plastic. Comes in a can and you just wet a cloth and wipe the stciker glue off. If you want the official name of it p.m. and I'll get it to you. Best stuff I've ever used and a bottle lasts a LONG time.

• Wiz636

Posted February 20, 2008 - 09:00 AM

There is a product called Goof-Off that works really well.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 20, 2008 - 09:41 AM

The best way I found how to remove the glue is to just spray alcahol on the side panels and shrouds after peeling the old graphics off. Next just take your thumb and roll the old glue off ( which will take just a little longer) but you will not have all that other stuff on the plastic like wd-40 ect.... The glue rolls off quiet well almost like rolling a booger.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.