2007 Wr450 V 2008 Wr450

17 replies to this topic
  • sausage boy

Posted February 19, 2008 - 06:58 PM

its that time again when the old 2005 WR is looking very old! so i'm looking to buy a 2008, i've found a guy selling new 2008 online for $6300 :applause: i'm not sure on the difference's between the 07 and 08 could someone let me know so i don't buy an 07 disguised as an 08?
also my friend has bought an 08 YZ450 for trail riding, he is trying to convince me to buy a YZ because they are lighter, any thoughts would be appreciated :)

• suzukipoo

Posted February 20, 2008 - 03:19 AM

The only diff between 07 & 08 are they used a thicker petrol tank and the clutch and ignition covers are coated with a new longer lasting black coating!! Get yourself a wr not a yz for trail riding the happy button works wonders and the fly wheel are heavier so you won`t stall as much! I just jetted my bike and replaced the pipe with a FMF 4.1 slip on!!

Posted Image

• dirtysouth

Posted February 20, 2008 - 07:38 AM

Yz's are not THAT much lighter and for trails the WR kicks em to the bushes. All you gotta do to get much of that power is go YZ exhaust cam anyway then you are there with your bud but with a resevoir for coolant and lights and an easy button. IF you do decide to go YZ get an 07 though. They are faster...noticibly when riding anyway...noticed that the cam PN changes from 07-08...both are quik though

• beezer

Posted February 20, 2008 - 10:59 AM

The WR makes a better trail bike and a YZ makes a better race bike.

• nickeenoo

Posted February 20, 2008 - 11:41 AM

I just sold my WR to get a YZ. Much happier. You can say all you want about the WR but the fact is if you did everything you could to the WR suspension it would be almost as good as the stock YZ suspension. Also, for not much money you can easily add a flywheel weight so stalling is not an issue.

If you need lights and an e-start that is another issue that makes the WR enticing.

One thing to consider is how often you stall/how good of a rider you are. I think if you are just starting or are less experienced or tend to stall a lot then the e-start is great. If you are more experienced and don't stall the bike alot then the e-start is not near as important.

Also, for those that say you can't feel thirty pounds of difference between the WR and YZ, you're crazy! (I mean that in the nicest way possible)

Another nice thing about the YZ is that you don't have to do any power mods. There is no need to buy a pipe (maybe a spark arrestor depending on where you ride), no cams, no AIS removal, no anything. With the money saved from all the stuff you need for a WR, you can buy things that matter like skid plates, stabilizers, hand guards, etc.

My opinion is that unless you want e-start and lights, the YZ is a better choice.

Nate

• Greenroom

Posted February 20, 2008 - 11:54 AM

Only problem with the YZ in California is they give us a red sticker. What that means is we are limited to when we can ride them. (very lame) Hundreds of thousands of weed wackers that can be operated any day and every day and they choose to go after the offroad community. :applause:

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 20, 2008 - 03:05 PM

Only problem with the YZ in California is they give us a red sticker. What that means is we are limited to when we can ride them. (very lame) thousands of dirty, polluting trucks from mexico that don't comply with US D.O.T or CARB pollution standards that can be operated any day and every day and they choose to go after the offroad community. :applause:

Fixed it for you.

IMHO, these trucks on CA roadways are a significantly bigger problem than the red sticker BS policies. But then again the greenie polititicians have it out for the off road community so that explains everything:thumbsdn:

• BajaFool

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:59 PM

Suzukipoo,
Nice graphics on your bike. What company makes them? Are they distributed in the USA? Can you buy the graphics kit with/without the matching seat cover?

• simica

Posted February 20, 2008 - 09:19 PM

All good points. Also think about your comfort on the bike. I'm 45 years old and 6'3". With the lower foot pegs on the WR, the sitting to standing transition is better for me on the WR. My son rides an '06 YZ 450 so I know the difference. I race (GP's mostly) more than I trail ride and I'm sticking witht the WR for both.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rick1141

Posted February 21, 2008 - 06:06 AM

WR is a good off raod bike. YZF is a good race bike.

• suzukipoo

Posted February 21, 2008 - 06:57 AM

They are from yamaha,oem parts! All stickers come seperately in pairs!! Go to your local dealer.

• sausage boy

Posted February 21, 2008 - 07:34 PM

[quote name='suzukipoo']The only diff between 07 & 08 are they used a thicker petrol tank and the clutch and ignition covers are coated with a new longer lasting black coating!! Get yourself a wr not a yz for trail riding the happy button works wonders and the fly wheel are heavier so you won`t stall as much! I just jetted my bike and replaced the pipe with a FMF 4.1 slip on!!

thanks for the info, sounds like the 07 and 08 are just the same. by the way your bike looks sweet did it come with the black gas tank?

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted February 25, 2008 - 07:42 PM

Those may be OEM in S Africa but I have never seen them in the US. Very sweet.

BTW are the WR's street legal in S Africa like in Australia?? They are the #1 dirt bike sold in over there.

• suzukipoo

Posted February 28, 2008 - 04:01 AM

Street legal and the gas tank comes just like that in sweet black i only changed my graphics,seat cover and exhaust with jetting and ais kit!!!!

• Yz4-me

Posted March 13, 2008 - 09:23 AM

I think the WR may have also got the wider pegs for 08.

• henrics

Posted March 14, 2008 - 02:22 AM

I think the WR may have also got the wider pegs for 08.

NO, the wider pegs is on the -07 also

• sausage boy

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:07 PM

a guy at my local yamaha dealer was telling me the 08 comes with a steering damper? i have looked on the yamaha web site and i can't see anything, bullshit or what?

• 2lcf

Posted March 14, 2008 - 01:14 PM

a guy at my local yamaha dealer was telling me the 08 comes with a steering damper? i have looked on the yamaha web site and i can't see anything, bullshit or what?

WRONG...........they do not........the Hondas do...........

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.