need info on purchase of 2001 Yz426f

6 replies to this topic
  • Match

Posted February 19, 2008 - 06:50 PM

I am looking to buy my first bike as an adult. There is a 01 YZ426F for $1900. The top and bottom end are complete rebuilds, tires and body look to be in good shape from pics I've received. I am going to take a look at the bike over the weekend. Here are my questions/concerns.

1. Is this too much bike for a novice rider? I rode a good bit as a kid and off and on again as an adult but nothing bigger than a 250 both 2 and 4 strokes.

2. Is this price in the right ball park? It seems to be from what I have seen in this area of the states. Virgina.

3. I am not a mechanic so is there anything that would be obvious upon start up I should be looking or listening for?

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2grimjim

Posted February 19, 2008 - 06:56 PM

426's are pretty bulletprof machines. Without seeing the machine it's hard to detirmine value but you can check for yourself here; http://www.kbb.com/k...es/Default.aspx

The only issue that might be of concern is the lack of auto-decompression on the 426's. If you decide to buy this machine your cash would be well spent (about $180)to install a Hot Cams exhaust cam that has the automatic compression release.

• USED YZ426F

Posted February 20, 2008 - 05:39 AM

Where in Virginia are you located?

I have a '00 426 and it is a very powerful bike. Quite the surprise for me after taking 20 years off of riding.

You didn't mention how long it has been since you rode or what kind of riding you are doing now.

Over all the 426's are pretty bullet proof (as long as they are maintained properly) and have good suspension and brakes. The maintenance is nothing too difficult, mostly changing the oil and checking valve clearances and adjusting as necessary.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BASSic

Posted February 20, 2008 - 03:08 PM

Auto-decompression (by using a 03 exhaust cam or Hotcams cam) is nice, but it's not essential. Until I need to adjust my valves, I'm keeping the manual decmopression.

I don't think there's such thing as 'too much bike' (except for big bore 2 strokes), but it all comes down to the type of riding you do. If you think you'll be doing some aggressive riding, then you'll be very pleased with the 426.

If you'll be doing moderate trail riding or riding with kids, it's tricky to lug the 426. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's not as forgiving as other bikes like a TT-R or an XR.

• Match

Posted February 21, 2008 - 12:25 PM

USED YZ426F,

I live in Charlottesville. Its been about 20 years or so also since I rode seriously and it was mostly RM 125s at the time. The riding Ive mostly done is during my bi-annual trip out to arizona to visit some friends. The riding out there was a lot or rocks and dry river beds.

BASSic,

The riding Ill be doing in VA is going to mostly be trail riding. It will be with some friends who are experienced so the lug factor shouldnt be a problem. Ill be playin catch up most of the time due to some very rusty skills. However, that is something to keep in mind as my wife has expressed interest in riding. Im working on my little girl.

• USED YZ426F

Posted February 21, 2008 - 12:28 PM

USED YZ426F,

I live in Charlottesville. Its been about 20 years or so also since I rode seriously and it was mostly RM 125s at the time. The riding Ive mostly done is during my bi-annual trip out to arizona to visit some friends. The riding out there was a lot or rocks and dry river beds.

If most of your experience is on an RM125 from a couple decades ago, then the 426 is going to be a HUGE EYE OPENER (but in a good way:applause:).

• Match

Posted February 21, 2008 - 12:35 PM

Ya I havent ridden anything bigger than a 250 recently. Im looking forward to it.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.