Why is there yogurt in my kill switch?

12 replies to this topic
  • cornelieaz

Posted February 19, 2008 - 06:46 PM

So I'm flyin down the road, right...the bike's runnin great, I'm on the gas and she's purrin, then all of the sudden the engine just cuts out...then it springs back to life a second later...then cuts out entirely again. I pull off to the side of the road and have a look at her vital signs...gas, spark, air...it all checks out. So I hit the ignition and then boom, fires right up, runs for about 20 seconds then dies immediately. After pulling off the road every few hundred feet for the next 2 miles I think I've got it figured out...

The kill switch keeps loosing it's connection and cutting out the engine. I figured as much seeing as how after I flicked it back and forth a few times the bike was more likely to fire right up. So I've got two questions:

1. Why/how does a switch fail all of the sudden...it's a pretty simple device. Could I be having other problems related to the '98 XR650L?

2. Inside the switch, everything is coated with this yogurty toothpaste kinda stuff. It seems to be some sort of lube that was either stock, or something that the previous owner thought was a good idea. Is that crap supposed to be in there, or should I clean it out assuming that's the likely culprit. If so, why would it only now start acting up having worked just fine with that slime in there for some time?

Thanks for the help.

• martinfan30

Posted February 19, 2008 - 07:43 PM

So I'm flyin down the road, right...the bike's runnin great, I'm on the gas and she's purrin, then all of the sudden the engine just cuts out...then it springs back to life a second later...then cuts out entirely again. I pull off to the side of the road and have a look at her vital signs...gas, spark, air...it all checks out. So I hit the ignition and then boom, fires right up, runs for about 20 seconds then dies immediately. After pulling off the road every few hundred feet for the next 2 miles I think I've got it figured out...

The kill switch keeps loosing it's connection and cutting out the engine. I figured as much seeing as how after I flicked it back and forth a few times the bike was more likely to fire right up. So I've got two questions:

1. Why/how does a switch fail all of the sudden...it's a pretty simple device. Could I be having other problems related to the '98 XR650L?

2. Inside the switch, everything is coated with this yogurty toothpaste kinda stuff. It seems to be some sort of lube that was either stock, or something that the previous owner thought was a good idea. Is that crap supposed to be in there, or should I clean it out assuming that's the likely culprit. If so, why would it only now start acting up having worked just fine with that slime in there for some time?

Thanks for the help.

The switches are all lubed/protected with a dielectric grease. Have you dropped that side in the water, or washed it lately? The water may have mixed with the grease and made the toothpaste you see.

Then again, I havent mixed dielectric grease with water so I dont know if it does what water and oil do together. Maybe you should clean the switch and sand the contacts a bit and retry.

• Denn10

Posted February 19, 2008 - 09:41 PM

"Why is there yogurt in my kill switch?"

cuz you cant controll the BRP while trying to watch your calories spooning the Yoplay in your mouth!!!!!

Clean it up first and see what it does, go to auto zone or somewhere they have small tubes of DE grease that will be clear and coat all your contacts with it and see how it goes from there. Clean contacts like Maarrrttinn said too LOL

• cornelieaz

Posted February 19, 2008 - 10:31 PM

It has gotten wet...a few times. That's gotta be it. The blinker switch on the other side don't work so hot either for probably the same reason. I'll be picking up some of that dielectric grease and givin it the scrub down. Thanks guys, always very helpful.

• Denn10

Posted February 20, 2008 - 10:26 AM

and DROP THE YOPLAY!!! http://www.efresh.co...yogurt logo.JPG

• cornelieaz

Posted February 21, 2008 - 06:15 PM

So, here's an update, should you find yourself in my same situation. It turns out that yeah, the switches all apreciated a good cleaning...I actually re-soldered the wiring back up in the kill switch since half the wire was frayed and loose, so that was good to catch, but not the problem at all seeing as how the bike still just turned over and over even after I'd bypassed the switch and just twisted the two wires together.

The ignition coil (the cylindrical thing that the plug wire comes out of) had a loose/dirty connection on one of the wires in the back. It was as simple a fix as pushing the wire on and off a few times to get a nice clean connection. Weird since it didn't look dirty, and it was certainly attached before...just not good enough I guess. I couldn't get the bike to stall out again after that. Fingers crossed.

Gotta love a free fix.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husky123

Posted February 22, 2008 - 04:38 AM

Probably white lithium grease. Often used in place of dialectric, works just as well.

• ghrati ghoti

Posted February 22, 2008 - 06:35 AM

So, here's an update, should you find yourself in my same situation. It turns out that yeah, the switches all apreciated a good cleaning...I actually re-soldered the wiring back up in the kill switch since half the wire was frayed and loose, so that was good to catch, but not the problem at all seeing as how the bike still just turned over and over even after I'd bypassed the switch and just twisted the two wires together.

The ignition coil (the cylindrical thing that the plug wire comes out of) had a loose/dirty connection on one of the wires in the back. It was as simple a fix as pushing the wire on and off a few times to get a nice clean connection. Weird since it didn't look dirty, and it was certainly attached before...just not good enough I guess. I couldn't get the bike to stall out again after that. Fingers crossed.

Gotta love a free fix.

You should check the two wires on the clutch switch too.

• tgstoken

Posted February 22, 2008 - 12:21 PM

I'm on the gas and she's purrin, then all of the sudden the engine just cuts out...then it springs back to life a second later...then cuts out entirely again.

Hehe, that sounds like the classic dying CDI problem to me. I had the same issues a while back. Bike would run fine for a long day trip, then it wouldnt go 20ft without dying. Then it would run fine for a while, then die. Replaced the CDI with one of my extras and bingo, hasnt died in 6 months.Lemme guess, is it a '93-'94 650L?

• cornelieaz

Posted February 22, 2008 - 02:13 PM

Hehe, that sounds like the classic dying CDI problem to me. I had the same issues a while back. Bike would run fine for a long day trip, then it wouldnt go 20ft without dying. Then it would run fine for a while, then die. Replaced the CDI with one of my extras and bingo, hasnt died in 6 months.Lemme guess, is it a '93-'94 650L?

It's a 98. I talked to a honda tech and he said the symptoms sounded like a loose connection and that when CDI's or coils go out it's a sudden and permanent change, none of this back and forth business. He mentioned that it's a pretty rare failure too. Where is the CDI and can it be tested? I'm not interested in getting out into the middle of nowhere with a questionable machine...stresses me out just thinking about it.

...nevermind, just found a lot of useful info on previous threads...go figure. I'll have to keep an eye on the CDI.

• cornelieaz

Posted February 23, 2008 - 10:43 AM

Man, tgstoken, I owe you one. The CDI was the problem exactly. I feel kinda dumb for thinking that it was anything else now. Sure enough, I fire the bike right up, keep on the gas a bit just to make sure the engine's running great, then reach back there and fiddle with the harness on the CDI....stalled out every time. Thank God for that. I'd be out in the middle of nowhere spittin like a madman at that bike if it weren't for you. :smirk:

Another interesting thing: With the key on and the bike not running, the failing CDI would make a very high pitch squeel or ring when it was acting up, kinda like your ears do after a Metallica concert, and dead silent when it was working properly.

• JackAttack

Posted February 23, 2008 - 08:28 PM

I talked to a honda tech and he said the symptoms sounded like a loose connection and that when CDI's or coils go out it's a sudden and permanent change, none of this back and forth business.

Bullshit!!! Coil...maybe...

What you are describing could easily be a CDI problem...but I'm not saying that it is.

Most likely it is a loose connection. Maybe check your kill switch wiring.

• JackAttack

Posted February 23, 2008 - 08:31 PM

Ooops sorry about that...I did not read through the whole thread. Everytime I see My Honda Tech said this... I get fired up.

Glad you got your bike fixed.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.