Should I go big

32 replies to this topic
  • dirtysouth

Posted February 21, 2008 - 08:08 AM

Martian; I have a 2002 WR-300 and I ride with 250 2-strokes and 450's and I never lack power, is your bike jetted good? What else have you done? Have good exhaust? Powernow?
Another thing to consider is that since being introduced the YZ-250F now makes about 5 more H.P. Maybe a new WR-250F with a big-bore would be the ticket. I will never go back to a big 4-stroke.
BTW, I am 43, 6'4" and 190 lbs.

WR 300...?...sounds like you went bigger:excuseme:

• dirtysouth

Posted February 21, 2008 - 08:13 AM

If weight is a big issue for you go 250 2-stroke or KTM 300 2-stroke. Seems like mixed opinions but I can say at 5'11 160 the 450WR is a dream and technical stuff in the woods is not an issue for me ever! If you wanna go one better put a set of YZ 85 bars on a 450 and squeeze it even narrower. 450's rule dude...all the power is mucho fun with just a throttle flick rather than a WOT push which breaks the rear tire loose...450's can putt through some stuff giving more traction...then if that aint enough..gas it for more.

• brett_h

Posted February 21, 2008 - 08:17 AM

400cc+ is what i consider big. 300-350 is mid-size. Just right!

• mvryder

Posted February 21, 2008 - 08:20 AM

By more tractable I mean more linear power application. I thought tractable was the preferred nomeclature. I understand your point of throwing parroting back at me, but remember I am using a learned term (yes, I did not coin this term) for a characteristic I have personally felt riding both a WR450 and EXC200. I am not commenting on the riding characteristics of bikes I have never ridden.

It seems to me that it is very in vogue right not to dump on 4 strokes while quickly forgetting their benefits. I have a theory that some may just be retaliating against their first 4 stroke, new top end, maintenance bill and saying well forget 4 strokes, we should all go back to 2 strokes. I have nothing to back this up it is just a theory.

I can climb hills on my xr250 too. In certain circumstances I feel it is easier on my wr450. In my personal experience it takes less attention to shifting and momentum keeping on a more powerful bike when climbing tough hills.

• dirtysouth

Posted February 21, 2008 - 08:53 AM

By more tractable I mean more linear power application. I thought tractable was the preferred nomeclature. I understand your point of throwing parroting back at me, but remember I am using a learned term (yes, I did not coin this term) for a characteristic I have personally felt riding both a WR450 and EXC200. I am not commenting on the riding characteristics of bikes I have never ridden.

It seems to me that it is very in vogue right not to dump on 4 strokes while quickly forgetting their benefits. I have a theory that some may just be retaliating against their first 4 stroke, new top end, maintenance bill and saying well forget 4 strokes, we should all go back to 2 strokes. I have nothing to back this up it is just a theory.

I can climb hills on my xr250 too. In certain circumstances I feel it is easier on my wr450. In my personal experience it takes less attention to shifting and momentum keeping on a more powerful bike when climbing tough hills.

Plus more power is more pimp:cool: It's always been that way with car entusiasts and the like thats why imports go Turbo ain't it.

• matt4x4

Posted February 21, 2008 - 12:18 PM

I think a lot is personal preference, I was going to go with a 250f originally, then this smoking deal came up and I ended up with a wr400f. The first day I thought W T F did I do??? The second day you couldn't beat the smile off my face with a baseball bat and it's been that way ever since.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2lcf

Posted February 21, 2008 - 01:06 PM

I have ridden a 99 YZ 250 for years...........I just got an 08 WR 450 and the difference is HUGE.............I love the YZ, but the WR is my NEW toy and I will NOT be going back to a 2 stroke...........the WR is heavier, but the power and torque are worth the weght gain.......plus doing a night ride once in awhile is way cooler than just sitting around the fire drinking.......my $.02....good luck...but go WR and you'll love it..............

• MojaveThumper

Posted February 21, 2008 - 05:50 PM

I am about your size. Don't have problems handling the bike. Respect the power and all will be well.

• Martian

Posted February 21, 2008 - 07:35 PM

Well I just orderd a 2008 WR450 From OTD cycle sport $6599 out the door, I pick it up saturday. thank you all for your 2% I cant wait to ride I'm keeping my old 2001 yz300f for freinds to ride this old bike can make it up just about any hill but now I can make it up FASTER :smirk:

• 2lcf

Posted February 21, 2008 - 08:20 PM

Martian.................I have an 08 also............if you REALLY want to make it feel more like your YZ 250, make sure you do all the mods listed here in TT... I did the mods to mine and will never go back to a 2 stroke.......... the power and throtle response is as good as the YZ if not better.............you will be really happy with it........enjoy......

• xBRIANx

Posted February 22, 2008 - 05:57 AM

Good choice. Welcome to the WR Club =p

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 22, 2008 - 11:04 PM

Just having a little fun with you...:smirk:

I ride/race a wr450 and I know that when its near the end of the race and I'm tired as hell and I come up to a big hill, I can just put it in second, twist the throttle and let the bike crawl up the hill. When its a 450, you give it more throttle and resist the temptation to use the clutch. Its definitely easier at that point. However, if I wasn't on a 450, I would be so damn tired to begin with.

450's are good, great even. but if you race them, only the best riders will get the maximum benefit. Lighter is better.

• Bamster

Posted February 23, 2008 - 05:42 AM

Everyone seems to throw out those 200's as this great trail bike suggestion. How many people suggesting these bike have actually ridden one?? I have a 07 wr 450 and it feels fine in the "tight stuff". I have ridden an 08 wr250f for about 30 min as well. I did not notice a difference in weight, only in power. My friend has a ktm 200 and the the is a pain to ride all the time, it is not some magical trail bike. Seriously, it is cheaper to own and maintain engine wise but it is a a handful with a lot of difficult to use power. I regularly out ride my buddy in the tight stuff. I am tractoring though the tough stuff and he is screaming the engine spewing smoke and fanning the heck out of the clutch as i wait for him to catch up. I am less tired than he is because I have smooth tractable 4 stroke power.

This last weekend he brought out is 4 stroke klx 300 out and was right back on my rear tire through tight stuff and all. And he hadn't ridden it in a good number of months.

The whole point of those 200's is to get the most horsepower into the small bike offroad / enduro classes (the class is 86 to 200cc's regardless of stroke). So that bike is not some wonder trail bike, it is a maxed competition bike and it rides like it.

The wr250 could be construed as a bit easier to ride in tight situations because the power is mellower. Do the math, do you think the 450 feels like more of a handful because of 5 percent more weight or 80% more displacement?!?!? That all changes when the tight stuff gets you in a hole you have to climb out of it it (maybe when you are not in the right gear because you are battling rough terrain at the same time).

Just my 2 cent rant on those 200 pumpkins and this whole 250s are so much lighter thing. I am not saying everyone, but I think a lot of that 200 2t praise is just people parroting stuff they read on here. I think this because I did it and that's, in part, why my buddy bought that POS 200.

I have owned a big bore WR and now own a KTM 200 and can tell you the 200 is a wonder bike. I have ridden all the 2 stroke KTM's and all are better in the tight stuff but I was faster on the 200. Sorry to say but your buddy must be a turd.
I did love the WR in the wide open stuff but even the little WR 250 was easier to ride in tight single track. Thats what its built for.
Just my 3 cents.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.