CA red sticker program

9 replies to this topic
  • tp3dxf

Posted April 18, 2002 - 09:40 PM

My 01WR426 gets a red sticker here in Cal. This means I can only ride my bike during certain months of the year depending on where the riding area is. My bike has a spark arrestor stock pipe with a thumper racing turndown tip and is all stock otherwise. I love my WR426 but to drive 2 hours just to get turned away because I have a red sticker is just pissing me off. I am thinking of going KTM 400 EXC. How is it that KTM can build a killer bike and still get a green sticker? Oh yeah it also has a electric start and weighs a little less then my WR. It also costs about 1000$ more and is tougher to find parts for but at least you can ride it where ever and whenever with out having the red sticker B.S. to deal with. I have contacted some KTM dealers and eventhough I love my WR California laws may have just sold a KTM. If this red sticker law here in Cal is here to stay Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and Kawi better get it in gear or they are gonna loose sales. Other manufactuers make green sticker bikes that can be ridden year round even dualsported and perform just as well. When will Japan make one?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 19, 2002 - 07:08 AM

This whole red sticker thing doesnt have much to do with the enviorment, it has to do with certain people not wanting us to ride dirtbikes in the woods. Case in point: why does a 250cc four stroke motorcycle that runs on regular gas and is only run for a few hours on a saturday a couple times a month, not meet polution control standards? Again it has nothing to do with protecting the enviorment, they want to control what people do.

• Guest__*

Posted April 20, 2002 - 01:29 PM

Its all a big scam by the ARB. Two bikes that are identical and one gets a green sticker and one gets a red sticker. Did you know that the manufacture has to apply so that some of there bikes will qualify for greeen stickers.

• A_McDaniel

Posted April 20, 2002 - 06:54 PM

MY BROTHER IN LAW CALL SACRAMENTO AND THEY SAID THEY WILL NOT BE ENFORCING RED STICKER SEASONS THIS YEAR DUE TO HOW JACKED UP EVERYTHING IS. IT WILL TAKE A WILE TO MAKE THIS PROGRAM WORK CORRECTLY AND FAIRLY, BUT AT LEAST THEY ARE TRYING. THEY DID SAY THEY CAN NOT SPEAK FOR BLM, BUT ANY FEDERAL OR STATE RIDING AREA WILL ONLY CHECK FOR PAID REGISTRATION, RED OR GREEN.

• tp3dxf

Posted April 21, 2002 - 04:04 PM

I rode Gorman this weekend and asked the friendly ranger at the entrance off Smoky Bear Rd. about the red sticker. He informed me that he did not believe they would believe they would be enforcing the redsticker law either. This was seconds after he took my money. We also met another ranger as a pack of about 10 riders hit the bottom of Gold Hill Rd. I have to say he was pretty cool. Gold Hill is supposed to be for street legal riders only. He just gave us a warning and we all rode back down the rode. He also said the sheriff may ticket us but luckly we didn't see one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dchik99

Posted April 21, 2002 - 04:15 PM

I asked today at the Hollister Hills entrance and the ranger said they would not enforce the red sticker thang this year either. He said, "not until the DMV can get their act together." By the way, I had a great day riding the beginner trails with my 6 year old--he was on his KTM Jr. Adventurer--it don't get any better than trail riding w/ your son!

• bhunt

Posted April 21, 2002 - 06:21 PM

Same reply today at Gorman. All they care is that the sticker red or green is up to date. Also talked to a US Forest officer. He told me that the Red Sticker is not in the Calif Penal code, so they would have to get a judge to make them enforce it. They seemed more concerned about noise. My stock WR426 without baffle showed a 105 DB. 101 is the law. He said to get a downturned end piece since the meter they use is 18" away at a 45 degree angle. The downturn would keep noice away and "make it legal". It sure is cool to meet the nice guys!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 22, 2002 - 06:50 AM

Can you guys give me some quick directions to gorman. If I'm heading south on I-5 what exit is best and where to park? Thanks!! :)

• BigDesto

Posted April 23, 2002 - 05:43 AM

Exit smokey bear rd. West of hwy5, there is a dirt road that is almost straight ahead,slightly to the
left. You can see the the road going straight back
right side of the wash. :)

• Air450

Posted April 24, 2002 - 03:58 PM

Gorman is at the top of the Grapevine. About 30 to 40 miles south of Bakersfield, 70 miles north of LA Airport. Get of at the Gorman exit for the main trail riding area, and Smokey Bear exit (8 miles further south) for the MX track. I do believe you can still access the trail riding area from there also.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.