Titanium Rear Shock?

8 replies to this topic
  • jclaus98

Posted February 19, 2008 - 05:42 PM

Very simple, need to replace the rear shock on my trusty '93 XR600R, and can't seem to find anyone who makes a titanium rear shock? Anybody got any suggestions? I found a couple places that sell them for a CR500R, which looking at the schematics look relatively similar, however, the spring rates for the CR500 top out at like 7.0, whereas the spring rate I would need for my weight is 11.0. Does anyone know if I could use the CR shock on my bike and if so, what spring rate should I use, since they appear to be different? I'm always looking for ways to lighten my piggy and the heavy steel rear shock seems like a great place to use some Ti to lighten the load. Anybody?

• knuklehead

Posted February 19, 2008 - 08:13 PM

NO Ti spring av for xr's.They just dont make them in the rate needed for the xr linkage ratio.Ive seen a guy put the cr linkage and shock on a xr600,he said it worked great.

• cleonard

Posted February 19, 2008 - 08:18 PM

NO Ti spring av for xr's.They just dont make them in the rate needed for the xr linkage ratio.Ive seen a guy put the cr linkage and shock on a xr600,he said it worked great.

+1 on that. I've seen a 600 with the CR rear end.

There used to be some aftermarket shocks, but I doubt that they are made anymore.

There is always ebay. That's where I got my replacement.

• Denn10

Posted February 19, 2008 - 09:35 PM

dont worry about Ti just get a steel one like all us poor folk

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted February 19, 2008 - 11:41 PM

The steel one is not only cheaper, but should have a longer fatigue life anyway.

• Owyhee

Posted February 20, 2008 - 06:00 AM

I made an attempt to put a 1995 CR500 shock on my 1999 XR600. The CR shock was about 3 inches longer (or more?) and mounts differently. Maybe it would work with the CR linkage but it won't with the XR linkage.

• jclaus98

Posted February 20, 2008 - 09:22 AM

That's what I was looking for "O", thanks, I guess I'll just have to get the cheaper, heavy steel spring, oh well. And in regard to someone who said something about the fatigue life, I distinctly remember reading an article about shock springs and Ti vs. steel, and in that article, if my memory serves me correctly, it said that a Ti spring would have [COLOR="Red"]less[/COLOR] fatigue over time. I can't recall the science behind it, but I am almost positive it said it would fatigue less. I could certainly be wrong, but I definitely remember reading that, I'll have to try and dig it up. But again, thanks for all the input guys.

• jclaus98

Posted February 20, 2008 - 09:30 AM

Here we go, now granted, this is someone trying to sell their product, so there is definitely the possibility of some stretching of the truth, but the argument seems sound to me, decide for yourself: "What about fatigue life?

The life of the spring to failure, discounting set, is affected by the magnitude and number of deflections that the spring is subjected to in relation to the material properties of tensile strength, ductility and toughness. Remember that steel springs for performance applications are designed "at the limit" to keep weight and size down. With titanium, replacements can be designed where the stresses are "backed-off" just slightly so that typically we can design for twice the life of the steel spring we are replacing. Experience is required of the spring designer to know what levels of stress can be sustained for each type of material used in springs."

From http://www.coilsprin...e/why_titanium/

• cleonard

Posted February 20, 2008 - 10:14 AM

From your post I thought you were looking for a replacement shock body made from Ti, not just a spring. You did say "shock" not "shock spring."

In general you can forget about aftermarket parts like this for any of our bikes. After a bike goes out of production, the aftermarket parts soon follow.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.