rod bearing gone 07 yz450f

11 replies to this topic
  • dforbes67

Posted February 19, 2008 - 04:12 AM

Any one else had a problem like this , 07 yz 450f bought it in may 07 , changed oil every 3 rides , last week seemed louder in crank area than normal .Opened side last night and you can rock the crank and slightly see the rod stay still and there is metel in oil filter . I ride hard but have maintained bike well I thought , I bought yamaha because I thought they were most reliable , now Im wondering , , going to tear it down this weekend and get a closer look but real disappointed right now

• k0ncept

Posted February 19, 2008 - 05:08 AM

man that sucks! I have an 07 as well, and so does my buddy, his Motor always sounds louder than mine does, but I ride mine alot harder than he does..

Be sure to give us a full report on what you find..

• walent215

Posted February 19, 2008 - 05:46 AM

i just bought an 08 and so did a friend and mine has alot more engine noise than his.it sounds like a bearing too.oh well,im just going to ride it and do the regular maintenance stuff like i always do and it should be fine.

• 2grimjim

Posted February 19, 2008 - 12:45 PM

Has the clutch cover ever been off? Not the small cover, the big cover that has the water pump housing.

There is a small nipple on the end of the crankshaft that fits inside a rubber seal pressed into the the inside of the clutch cover. Oil under pressure from the filter cavity is directed to the crankshaft and lubricated the big end of the rod.

If the clutch cover isn't carefully installed the end of the crank can roll the lip of the seal over and no oil (or diminished quantity) will reach the rod bearing causing an eventual failure.

• dforbes67

Posted February 19, 2008 - 01:34 PM

Only the small clutch cover has been off to put a rekluse in a month after I got it in may 07.I will look for that when i tear it down mabee a factory misalighnment, thanks , would be nice to find a cause of the problem instead of just it went out .

• dforbes67

Posted February 20, 2008 - 03:48 AM

tore eng down last night and rod big end side shot but also piston and cyl shot , this sux

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WB450

Posted February 20, 2008 - 09:23 AM

Do you have any pics?

• dforbes67

Posted February 20, 2008 - 09:34 AM

no pics but I will try and take some tonight of the cyl , cant see rod bearing on crank but has definate play and source of knocking , piston doesnt have any bad damage and can still turn rings by hand , looks like the plating just come loose on cyl got in everything and made bearing fail on crank rod bearing , cant see bearing ,still intact but rod moves up and down on crank . Bike actuly run great ,cranked it first kick before starting to look for knock with hose and decided it was loud enough to start tearing in to it and find the source

• dforbes67

Posted February 23, 2008 - 03:53 AM

Well eng is at dealer , they are going to try to get warranty on it , keep my fingers crossed .

• dforbes67

Posted February 23, 2008 - 04:10 AM

http://us.f515.mail....head=&box=Inbox

• dforbes67

Posted February 23, 2008 - 04:12 AM

Sorry, got pics and got them into my email but cant figure out how to post them here , can any one help or let me just email them to some one and post them for me . Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2008 - 09:14 AM

You need to post the pictures on a hosting site, such as Photobucket, then link to them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.