GNC Supplements-Worth the Money ???

12 replies to this topic
  • YZ250ACE

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:06 AM

Here's my situation and the plan GNC told me to try. They seemed very informative and had answers to all my problems. I am 48 years old and just started working out Jan 1st for the first time in ten years. I am 5-10 and weighed 205 Jan 1st and have lost 22 lbs since I started. I generally do 1 hour of cardio 5 days a week and three days a week of total body weight lifting. I told GNC what I was doing as far as work outs go, told them I lost 22 #'s since Jan 1 and wanted to lose another 8-13 #'s, and told him I was sore after working out. He agreed with me that I was so out of shape before and not used to the strenuous work outs that soreness was going to be a part of it but it could be greatly reduced with the following supplements and get far better muscle gain and fat loss. He suggested the following daily routine.

Morning

Take 1 Hydroxycut hardcore (damn those things are expensive) pill and 16 ounces of water.
Eat something light like a piece of fruit, wheat toast, good cereal, oatmeal, peanut butter on wheat bread,or juice and wash it down with 8 ounces of 2% milk mixed with one scoop of Whey Protein powder mix. Work out on a light stomach.

After workout with in 20 minutes take one teaspoon of L-Glutamine powder mixed with Gatorade, water, or juice.

Lunch

Take one Mega men Sport Vitamin, take one more Hydroxycut Hardcore, eat a light lunch of green veggies and something like eggs, grilled chicken, grilled fish or tuna, or grilled beef (4-6 ounces) and wash it down with 16 oz of water.

Snacks-

One piece or one cup equivalent of veggies, fruit, veggies soup and water

Dinner-

One Mega men sport vitamin, dinner similar to lunch and 16 ounces of water and don't eat less than three hours before you hit the bed.

He said I'll immediately start to feel more energized during my work outs and during the day in general. The muscle soreness, stiffness, and joint soreness will just about go away quickly and be a thing of the past. What do you think? I sure hope it works because even with joining the Gold GNC Club and getting 50% off the second portions of the Whey protein and Glutamine, I'm in the hole for nearly 200 bucks for a 90 day supply. $100 bucks of it was the Hydroxycut Hardcore which I should not need after this bottle of 210 pills is gone because I should easily be at my desired weight of 170-175. I am Very interested in your thoughts and feedback experiances with GNC products and recomendations to what I'm doing. Thanks to all who chime in.

Larry

• speedfrk

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:19 AM

Skip the Hydroxycut. The protein is good, as well as multi vits. GNC products are on par with quality. A complete physical with complete bloodwork is also a good idea. Havethem also check your DHEA, Testosterone, Estradiol, and free test. I know this may sound complicated, but after 40yrs, any of these components can be off. (Which will effect your body compisition)

Other than that .... cardio, resistance training, and a wholesome diet will get you to where you want to be.

I'm 49 ..... my wife is 33. ( I need to stay in shape, to keep up ! )

I take:

GNC mega mulit 2 x a day
Reversatol 100 mg
Calcium 500 mg
CO Q-10 50mg
DHEA 25 mg
Vit C 1000 mg

Also been drinking the Isopure Zero Carb protein shake mixed with water
for post workout recovery.

Hit the gym 4-5 x a week.
Was running 15 miles per week before broken ankle ( Last Nov)
Now running (slowly) about 5 miles per week.

Cool thing was that even after sitting around waiting for my ankle to heal for 12 weeks, I did not pic up any extra lbs.

Good luck, work hard, and remember, age is only a number !

• speedfrk

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:21 AM

And a GREAT source for supplements and info is: http://www.lef.org/a...what_is_lef.htm

• todthebod

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:42 AM

GNC is just way overpriced. Get whatever you need online. Make sure to eat clean after your workout to help with the lactic acid buildup.

• iwannagofast250

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:00 AM

YES stay away form Hydroxcut. Your other supplements are awesome. If your protein is 100% whey protein take it 30 min before weight lifting workout and immediately after. This type of protein is a fast acting protein. Its in your system within 30 min. Due to your age of 48 your testosterone levels are almost the same as a 60 year old man (not trying to be mean). Try taking ZMA. It is a natural supplement which contains magnesium and zinc. Both of these are natural testosterone boosters. No where near the effect of actually putting a needle in your backside but it does help boost you up a little bit. Take them about 30 min before bed. Plus they are not very expensive at all. I am 24 and on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from you. I weight 180 pounds at 6 foot 5 and now weigh a solid 208 pounds. It took me almost 2 years to get where i am at. Well worth it though. My riding improved greatly to where i can completely sprint a whole 90 mile desert race now. Went from amatuer to expert. Now if i only worked out this religously in highschool. Damnit!!! lol

• 2raddad

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:04 PM

YES stay away form Hydroxcut. Your other supplements are awesome. If your protein is 100% whey protein take it 30 min before weight lifting workout and immediately after. This type of protein is a fast acting protein. Its in your system within 30 min. Due to your age of 48 your testosterone levels are almost the same as a 60 year old man (not trying to be mean). Try taking ZMA. It is a natural supplement which contains magnesium and zinc. Both of these are natural testosterone boosters. No where near the effect of actually putting a needle in your backside but it does help boost you up a little bit. Take them about 30 min before bed. Plus they are not very expensive at all. I am 24 and on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from you. I weight 180 pounds at 6 foot 5 and now weigh a solid 208 pounds. It took me almost 2 years to get where i am at. Well worth it though. My riding improved greatly to where i can completely sprint a whole 90 mile desert race now. Went from amatuer to expert. Now if i only worked out this religously in highschool. Damnit!!! lol

thanks for the tips, you seem well-informed.
since you recommended ZMA, do you have any opinion on DHEA?
I'm another 48 y/o

• iwannagofast250

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:13 AM

thanks for the tips, you seem well-informed.
since you recommended ZMA, do you have any opinion on DHEA?
I'm another 48 y/o

You know i havent really heard much about DHEA? What exacty is it? Is it another form of testosterone booster? But im definetly going to look it up.

• iwannagofast250

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:37 AM

2raddad. GRRR im so mad i wrote this long page and it would not post. I had to refresh the page and my writing deleted when that happened. Ill give it another try (its not going to be as long as the last one though). DHEA was discovered in the 1930's. The FDA does not know the long term effects of this product. Mainly because no company want to fork out the crazy amount of money on a supplement that is naturally occuring in the body. You cannot make a patent on something that is naturally occuring within the human body. There is good and bad associated with DHEA is. It was first used in cancer patients and the very ill. It does have positive benefits on the brain, skin, and other parts of the body. There have been studies on people that get irregular heart beats when on DHEA then stop those symptoms when off DHEA. My good friend who i get alot of my information from is a professional trainer for college football players and power lifters. He holds a degree in keneciology( sorry i dont know how to spell it but its an in depth study of the human boddy). Hes 6 foot 4 290lbs of natural lean muscle if you can believe that. He also is my work out partner. The guys an animal. But i dont want to be like him im a motocrosser. So my info comes from him and also on different internet sources. Like i said my other page was much longer like 3 times longer but theres no way im going to do that again and have to refresh this f*&^%^ # page. haha If i were you and you like some of the benefits of DHEA such as feeling younger or some claim to say slow down the ageing process i would go to your doctor and see if you qualify for HGH. There is much more research on this product. Plus you have to get it from your doctor. DHEA you can get over the counter and easily abuse it which most people do. There is an off cycle you need to do on DHEA that alot of people dont do. Basically to qualify for HGH which you most likely will at your age are low testosterone levels. LOL im done typeing. Hit me back if you have more questions i did not answer here

• 2raddad

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the thorough reply!
My last blood work up with the "simple" hormone panel showed me as towards the low end of normal... probably not a candidate for HGH, nor really one for a full blown hormone test.
I just made a doc appt today, to inquire about changes in my current meds. I'll see what the lady in white has to say...

• BriAnJG054

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

GNC products work but are way over priced. they can be found much cheaper online. Other than that take the other advice that was posted to you

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:27 PM

ZMA caps are useless you will not see any results.

at 48 get T-bomb or T3 or something, don't waste your time with ZMA BS.

BTW: i'm 17 been studing sports nutrition for about a year now, started my working out life style by losing 50 pounds, 225-175 in 10 months, now i'm bulking up to 200, then back down to 180, then back up to like 215, in a few years i want to be huge, like 230+ at 10% bodyfat. i've gained about 15 pounds of muscle in 10 months of working out and eating perfect.

• YZ250ACE

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I went back to the GNC store and the guy was very upfront and informative with me. He suggested as long as I was in decent shape and had no history of heart problems that the Hydroxycut Hardcore should be OK. He told me to try it one pill a 1/2 before breakfast and wash it down with water and see how it effects me. If there are no problems take another 1/2 hour before lunch again with plenty of water. He said all diet pills will have some side effect but some people are OK with it and some are not. He said to try the two pills a day for three days. If nothing adverse happens increase the dosage to four a day in the same manner (2 and 2). I'll let you know what happens as I'll start his plan on Saturday. He told me to try it the way he suggested for a week to 10 days and if I was not 100% satisfied with the results and the way I felt, he give me a 100% refund. I think that was very fair and the reason why I'd go back to him. It's the same reason why I'll go to my local bike dealer for things before I go else where. Here's there with knowledge, support, suggestions, and is willing to help me out in any way he can and stand behind his advice 100%. I'd rather give them the business and get taken care of then trying to save 10% more buying from some mail order on line catalog.

Larry:ride:

• billyo

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

give my friend a call, he's in nj as well. he's a nutritionist with lots of knowledge. he just came out with his own sports recovery drink too. not only is he well versed in nutrition and supplementation, hes got skills on a bike.. LOL.....
he's at englishtown mx track all the time... 973-667-5050. get comfortable, he'll talk your ear off. :smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Weight Reduction or Shaving the Pork... by MentalGuru

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  126 replies
Forums
Photo

Mx training besides running by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   MX Riding Technique
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

how much weight can your LRP lose? by jeffjcalweb

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 5 replies
Wiki
How to Deal with Armpump - last post by Gary_Semics

How to Deal with Armpump

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Wiki
Core Training II - Raines Racing Fitness Fact - last post by Jason Raines

Core Training II - Raines Racing Fitness Fact

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.