Exhaust pipe welding

12 replies to this topic
  • DavisMT

Posted February 19, 2008 - 02:50 AM

Guys,
Anyone have any experience with getting their pipe welded? I have a pro circuit platinum that has some small corrosion cracks around the welds for the mounting flanges and I wanted to get them welded or use some JB weld or someting to seal it back up. Any advice? Thanks.

• 36MotoMarc

Posted February 19, 2008 - 10:51 AM

use a 110v wire feed welder.

• jayc250x

Posted February 19, 2008 - 11:12 AM

use a 110v wire feed welder.

And turn it WAY down - the metal is REALLY thin. I know I'd vaporize it the first try.

JayC

• TwoStrokeJedi

Posted February 19, 2008 - 12:24 PM

is the welds on the titanium proper, does it effect the metal to metal if they are disimilar? What metal type to use?

I am not a welder, but asking questions as I have a similar project on the back burner. I have a small 110V wire feed I wanted to use for some custom work, and basically I am a newb welder...so I wanted to learn a little.

Sorry, not trying to hijack.

• cryzrider

Posted February 19, 2008 - 06:01 PM

Get it TIG welded by someone in the business and it should be fine. This is your only option if it's titanium and it should be purged on the inside with argon to prevent embrittlement. Those pretty blue colors on ti welds are rejectable by all welding codes. Where in Alabama are you? If up north I'd do it for free or maybe a trip to Hooters.
Craigus

• gmbond

Posted February 19, 2008 - 07:16 PM

umm, a pro-circuit platnium pipe is not titanium

it is chrome plated mild steel, the main issue being the chrome plating...

you will need to grind the thin hard chrome layer off, then weld as normal, honestly my best pipe welding on something that thin i usually use a oxy/fuel torch and just very carefully weld small bits at a time... mig can be too "sudden"

Tig is ideal if you've got the equiptment and someone who knows what to do

once welded , buff the area with a wirewheel, to shine it up, and spray it with some VHT "fireproof Coating" in Clear, and it'll be almost unnoticable as a repair.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cryzrider

Posted February 19, 2008 - 09:31 PM

Titanium will only weld to other grades of titanium and in some cases certain refractory metals such as Niobium, Columbuim, Tantalum and a few others. Ti can be furnace brazed to dissimilar metals but you need a vacuum furnace or at the least some kind of inert atmosphere as in argon or nitrogen. I do this stuff on a weekly basis honest as I'm not just pulling it out of my you know what. I'm in Huntsville if you want me to weld it. I have a sweet Miller 350 amp TIG setup and a MIG.
Craigus

• gmbond

Posted February 20, 2008 - 07:16 PM

should i point out again that a Pro-Circuit PLATINIUM pipe is not titanium ???????

It IS chrome plated thin mild steel....

it CAN be welded with OXY/fuel, mig, tig, or even half assed with a arc welded if you happen to know a handy butcher.....

why does titanium keeps gettign brought up ??

• cryzrider

Posted February 20, 2008 - 07:56 PM

Feel better? Did you ever wonder if someone just wanted some welding info that would take a long time to look up? :applause:
Craigus

• DavisMT

Posted February 21, 2008 - 05:01 AM

I'm down in Montgomery. Hooters does sound nice though!

• DavisMT

Posted February 21, 2008 - 05:03 AM

Guys,
Thanks, that's much more info than I hoped for. I don't have any welding capability at all so I'll probably just turn to a local shop. Thanks again bros!

• Double G

Posted February 21, 2008 - 07:38 AM

send it to (piperepair.com) they make it new for 50 bucks!! cant beat it!!

• gmbond

Posted February 21, 2008 - 05:15 PM

i didn't mean it like that, i was worried that the extra irrelevant infomation was going to confuse and freak out an inexperienced welder/metalurgist...

i was just trying to clarify for his needs..... switch this forum over to the CRF forums, and i can see titanium welding being a highly required and discussed topic... not soo much for the two strokes (thankfully)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz85 vs cr125 power. by vertox

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 21 replies
Forums
Photo

1999 CR125R Choke installation? by josephduckworth

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Honda MB5/CR80 Hybrid by mitsudriver274

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

best looking trail bike. by pain99

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  260 replies
Forums
Photo

HELP- Bad head shake on cr 125 by mxracer77

• 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.