New 08 YZ450

10 replies to this topic
  • krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted February 18, 2008 - 09:18 PM

I just bought my first 4t. I bought a new 08 450F. What is the best oil to run and what oil filter should I use when I change it. oem or aftermarket.

• RJB

Posted February 18, 2008 - 10:40 PM

Firstly, welcome to the site. You'll get chased out of here quicker than a quick thing if you're not careful. Here's a helpful tip - use the search engine before firing off a question.
Answers to your questions in summary as follows:
1. Do a search - the oil question has been flogged to death. Go with Yamaha recommendation as to the specification required, thereafter its a personal preference. Many have their own opinions on the matter. MXA stated "...we think that the clutch will last longer with semi-synthetic or mineral oil. The full-synthetic seems to shorten clutch life"
2. Same again for the oil filter. You could go with the OEM one, or choose from a multitude of others (K&N, No Toil, etc.). I personally use a Scott stainless steel one and am very happy with it. I have also used the K&N and Yamaha OEM without a single issue to date.

Hope this helps some.

• grayracer513

Posted February 19, 2008 - 07:04 AM

1, No one's going to run you off, but the simple oil question does seem to touch off a surprising response on occasion. 2, as much as I respect the guys at MXA, the statement regarding synthetics and clutches, if in fact that's what they said, can't be supported by any data I'm aware of. The clutch in my '03 had over 350 hours on it using synthetics and showed no signs of being in less than perfect condition.

• RJB

Posted February 19, 2008 - 07:32 AM

Gray, it is exactly what they said - verbatim, hence the quotes. Check out page 114 of the mag (titled "10 Best Mods for the '08 YZ450). Also, note that the words "think" and "seems" suggest an opinion, not a fact. If I recall correctly, there was another mention of this somewhere else (it was in Nov 07 Dirt Rider - here is a link to a discussion on TT)

All that being said, I've run Amsoil full synthetic in my YZ426, Shell full synthetic in my WR450 (good enough for Casey Stoner...) and plan on running same in my YZ450. Working for an oil company and knowing how much we spend on developing these synthetics, I have yet to see evidence supporting this. I'll try to ask some of the guys in the lab for their opinion on the matter.

• ltrosson

Posted February 19, 2008 - 08:02 AM

When you mention mineral oil, is that just non synthetic oil, or something different?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 19, 2008 - 11:02 AM

"Mineral" in this case means a natural petroleum product.

• TahitianRed

Posted February 19, 2008 - 11:54 AM

If you changed your oil after every ride would syn actually have an advantage over mineral, other than protection if you overheated the motor?

• grayracer513

Posted February 19, 2008 - 01:02 PM

The primary advantages that a true synthetic generally has over petro oils are resistance to heat, and tolerance of acid buildup. The acid buildup issue is not going to come into play with short oil change intervals.

Heat very well might, however, especially in an engine that uses the same oil to protect the engine as flows through the clutch.

A fact not directly related to the syn/petro question is that most of the premium oils with top grade additive packages are synthetic, rather than petroleum based. This bears on things such as viscosity stability.

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted February 19, 2008 - 01:04 PM

RJB I have been floating around here a while and just havn't posted. I knew that question of which brand of oil has bean beaten like a dead horse. I had to ask though. Where can I find that 10 best mods for the 08 yx450f article at?

Grayrace thank you so much for those links. I am going to change the oil this week before I ride. Should I change the filter two since it is brand new and has only about 2 min of use on it?

• grayracer513

Posted February 19, 2008 - 01:06 PM

Should I change the filter two since it is brand new and has only about 2 min of use on it?

Shouldn't be needed.

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted February 19, 2008 - 01:18 PM

Cool thanx

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.