'94 XR650L Engine... to part or not to part?

18 replies to this topic
  • BLSBRKR65

Posted February 18, 2008 - 08:50 PM

I have a spare motor that is complete with wiring harness and carb. I bought it from ebay way back ago just in case. But my '93 hasn't failed me just yet. I don't have any idea on the milage. It could use a new cam, rockers, cam chain, piston, rings, and a bore job. Valves are still good, just needs a good cleaning. Should i part the whole motor like sell the bottom end as a whole sans what i can remove such as the stator, crankcase covers, clutch then sell the cylinder, cylinder head and valve covers. I figure i'll make more than selling it complete. Thanks!

• martinfan30

Posted February 18, 2008 - 08:53 PM

I have a spare motor that is complete with wiring harness and carb. I bought it from ebay way back ago just in case. But my '93 hasn't failed me just yet. I don't have any idea on the milage. It could use a new cam, rockers, cam chain, piston, rings, and a bore job. Valves are still good, just needs a good cleaning. Should i part the whole motor like sell the bottom end as a whole sans what i can remove such as the stator, crankcase covers, clutch then sell the cylinder, cylinder head and valve covers. I figure i'll make more than selling it complete. Thanks!

If it's a running engine, I'd sell as a complete unit. Or, keep it for parts for yourself I'f you plan on riding your '93 for a long time.

• BLSBRKR65

Posted February 19, 2008 - 06:36 AM

The '94 engine was running prior to the top end tear down for maintenance. It has it's typical wear and tear close to it's limits. My '93 has only 5,000 miles and runs like a top, besides i need the room in the garage or my wife will throw me and my 3 bikes out...

• Motosprtman

Posted February 19, 2008 - 06:58 AM

if'n it was me - I would built it, hotcam, punch it to one oversize, new piston, rings, hardened valves and better springs. Then sell it! ;-) make some good bucks for simple work and some investment. Oh, and I would bead blast it to make it look brand new in the pics.

• Denn10

Posted February 19, 2008 - 02:19 PM

i think i saw a complete engine that they were asking like 2k on ebay last night????? id bet even stock you could get a pretty penny for it. Check ebay out

• HeadTrauma

Posted February 19, 2008 - 11:28 PM

No one in their right mind would pay $2000 for an XR engine. Average prices I've seen for complete good-running XR600/650L engines is $500-600. Even the CBR600 stuff doesn't go for much more than that.

If you part out the engine, there are really only a handful of assemblies that will be easy to sell; the head, cylinder, and bottom end. Tearing it down to the nuts and bolts is a bad idea.

• ToXicD

Posted February 20, 2008 - 05:30 AM

i disagree, i watch them go for $2000-$2500 every week on ebay. although they are brand new motors they are totally stock. you would probably make more money if you parted it out, except the tranny. leave it all together with the crank cases but part out the rest. i suspect you could probably make around 2-3k or maybe even more, depends on whats on ebay at the time which hasnt been much lately.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 20, 2008 - 06:05 AM

i disagree, i watch them go for $2000-$2500 every week on ebay. although they are brand new motors they are totally stock. you would probably make more money if you parted it out, except the tranny. leave it all together with the crank cases but part out the rest. i suspect you could probably make around 2-3k or maybe even more, depends on whats on ebay at the time which hasnt been much lately.

Yea I saw that new 2006 motor on e-bay with a buy it now of 2,298.00 - wow! I thought it was kinda weird that they parted out a brand spanking new 2006 XR650L. But I guess they figured they could get more for it in parts.

• martinfan30

Posted February 20, 2008 - 07:53 AM

Yea I saw that new 2006 motor on e-bay with a buy it now of 2,298.00 - wow! I thought it was kinda weird that they parted out a brand spanking new 2006 XR650L. But I guess they figured they could get more for it in parts.

STOLEN!:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ToXicD

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:01 AM

STOLEN!:applause:

No these guys are a Honda dealer like someone mentioned they just know they can make a lot more money parting it out then selling a five year old bike.

• xr650l bum

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:28 AM

No these guys are a Honda dealer like someone mentioned they just know they can make a lot more money parting it out then selling a five year old bike.

2006 it is now 2008. 5 years? You will waste time and money parting out the engine. Time dismantling, fees for listing( wich you pay whether it sells or not), time shipping and dealing with people. I have watched this DEALER part things out for a long time. I do not understand how thier parts sell so much higher than the average joe.

• HeadTrauma

Posted February 20, 2008 - 09:15 AM

Well, you're talking about the equivalent of a crate engine. I've seen the $2000+
price tags on those as well. I didn't think anyone was actually foolish enough to buy one in lieu of just replacing the whole bike for $2000. :applause:

However, we're not talking about a brand new pullout. We're talking about a 14 year old used 650L engine that is partially dismantled and needs a rebuild.

• ToXicD

Posted February 20, 2008 - 09:28 AM

Uh they parted out an 03 awhile back and the motor went for 2300. The answer is simple, supply vs demand. Not many people have xr650 motors for sale and when they do find one they are happy to pay 2k for it since a brand new one from Honda is 6k after taxes!

• Motosprtman

Posted February 20, 2008 - 11:39 AM

This is a 2 year old bike. what they are parting out. Maybe a demo? just think it is odd. But on the other hand great for parts!

• HeadTrauma

Posted February 20, 2008 - 12:00 PM

Uh they parted out an 03 awhile back and the motor went for 2300. The answer is simple, supply vs demand. Not many people have xr650 motors for sale and when they do find one they are happy to pay 2k for it since a brand new one from Honda is 6k after taxes!

The engine isn't $6000, a whole 650L is.

• truck6driver

Posted February 20, 2008 - 12:05 PM

The company is keepitroostin.com. They are an e-bay only company that buys old dealer stock, and late model bikes when they find them and part them out. They are a legit parts dealer in NC. Their parts go quick too. I tried to get some parts for my son's PW and got out bid really fast. I just wished they had a store I could go to and look at what they have and not online.

RH

• ToXicD

Posted February 20, 2008 - 12:26 PM

I don't care if the bike cost 6k, call your local Honda dealer and get a price on a new xr650 motor and they will tell you around 5300 now add shipping and tax. I know cause I have priced them from several dealers including service Honda. Actually just go to service Honda and look for yourself at the price of the 650r motor.

• ToXicD

Posted February 20, 2008 - 12:52 PM

Yup that's them. Hey truck driver, I believe they have a number listed, if not just write them. I have delt with them several times and they will get you the parts you need.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 20, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Yup great e-bay company - good parts fast shipment!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.