Have you ever broken a clutch cover

4 replies to this topic
  • clreede

Posted February 18, 2008 - 07:41 PM

Hi everybody,
I'm wondering how common it is to break a clutch cover. Please let me know if you have ever done this, and how it happened.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 18, 2008 - 08:20 PM

I broke one when installing the Rekluse auto-clutch in my XR650R. The Rekluse Auto-clutch uses a very thick gasket to allow the clutch cover to clear the clutch. If you try torquing to factory specs the soft thick gasket causes uneven torquing, which can snap the clutch cover easily. I do not try to reach factory torque even without that gasket. It really wants to stretch the bolts and seems like a recipe for breaking things.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • knuklehead

Posted February 19, 2008 - 11:35 AM

Broke mine last summer,slid out in a sandy corner about 7 miles from camp,rode it back spewing oil. Wound up it had all so broke my outer clutch basket.Got a new basket and cover changed the oil,seem's good no issue's since.Was sweating bullit's riding back,just keapt looking at it and as long as there was oil coming out,I figued I was ok.

• JefeBSE09

Posted February 22, 2008 - 12:56 PM

I'm replacing mine tonight, put my pig down in some really rocky terrain and punched a hole in the cover with the rear brake lever. Had the same scared ride back, just scared to see oil STOP leaking!

• ToXicD

Posted February 22, 2008 - 03:46 PM

Damn it don't you guys know that's why you always carry bubble gum on the trails! Lol

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.