R vs L

66 replies to this topic
  • FoxRacin17

Posted February 18, 2008 - 05:40 PM

Me and my dad are selling our street bikes and getting XR650s. Probably Ls. Is there anything different on them except for the street legal stuff? Is there a different cam or anything? Is all the aftermarket stuff the same or is it all pretty much different? We'll be mostly riding street with some side trails mixed in so the L would be better. And were getting used ones so is there anything to look for on them specifically? I have a 400R and a 50R and had a 200R so I do know alot of stuff bout XRs in general. Thanks for the help.

• Bibleman

Posted February 18, 2008 - 06:12 PM

Hi there. There's hardly a part that they share - two completely different bikes. Brief summary - "R" water cooled, faster and lighter, not street legal. "L" - street legal.

• Maroast

Posted February 18, 2008 - 06:28 PM

like said before the 650R is a liquid cooled powerhouse in a full aluminum frame.....not street legal (typically)

The 650L is an air cooled motor in a full steel frame

They share no parts other than maybe the handle bars.
Totally different bikes...more so than the crf450x and the crf450r...yet they each get their own forums :applause: -->but "L" guys, dont take any offense, I like being in the forum with you all....you bring a beneficial feminine aspect to the group :)

• Brtp4

Posted February 18, 2008 - 06:34 PM

Me and my dad are selling our street bikes and getting XR650s. Probably Ls. Is there anything different on them except for the street legal stuff? Is there a different cam or anything? Is all the aftermarket stuff the same or is it all pretty much different? We'll be mostly riding street with some side trails mixed in so the L would be better. And were getting used ones so is there anything to look for on them specifically? I have a 400R and a 50R and had a 200R so I do know alot of stuff bout XRs in general. Thanks for the help.

Here we go again.

BP

• SCORPiON5150

Posted February 18, 2008 - 06:35 PM

Hi there. There's hardly a part that they share - two completely different bikes. Brief summary - "R" water cooled, faster and lighter, not street legal. "L" - street legal.

Bibleman is right on the money. I own an R, and have ridden an L before I got my R. Totally, totally different beasts. The L has alot of things in common with the older big bore XRs, but not much with the 650R. If you are being completely honest with yourself and doing MOSTLY street riding, the L is the best choice of the 2 IMO. the L has alot of pluses for street use or long rides that the R does not. On the other hand, if you are trying to kid yourself into THINKING you will be most always on pavement but in reality you will either be riding on the dirt alot more than you thought, or learning to love the dirt so much you ride on it alot more than you thought, then a 650R street legalized is the way to go. That's what I've got but dirt duty is probably 70% for me. Another thing to keep in mind is in California at least (where I live), a 650R is nearly impossible to plate anymore. DMV registration nazis will shut you down quickly here. Not sure about Florida but I would venture to guess it's a breeze to do the conversion there.

Either way you can't go wrong, they are both great bikes, just both for different purposes. Perhaps one of you can get an L and the other an R and have the best of both worlds between the two of you!

• chakaxr650l

Posted February 18, 2008 - 06:37 PM

I just got an L. Waiting on parts to do Dave's Mod. It easily pulls wheelies as it is with a little clutch. Can't wait to do the mods. It is a comfortable bike,

• jdubb75

Posted February 18, 2008 - 07:41 PM

but "L" guys, dont take any offense, I like being in the forum with you all....you bring a beneficial feminine aspect to the group :)

:applause: sorry, but i had to...just a little innocent fun:cheers:

• Bibleman

Posted February 18, 2008 - 07:50 PM

Why I autta.....:banghead:

:applause: :) :cry:

• elrontx

Posted February 18, 2008 - 08:07 PM

like said before the 650R is a liquid cooled powerhouse in a full aluminum frame.....not street legal (typically)

Totally different bikes...more so than the crf450x and the crf450r...yet they each get their own forums :applause: -->but "L" guys, dont take any offense, I like being in the forum with you all....you bring a beneficial feminine aspect to the group :)

lol. it probably takes more skill to ride a L on the trails especally in ny:busted: . how did you get your R plated? nice bike.

• martinfan30

Posted February 18, 2008 - 08:17 PM

As its already been so eloquently put, L for more street. R is the better choice for more offroad, typically desert stuff. The R can be found plated, just wont be as comfy as an L on longer asphalt rides.

They both have a great after market supply of mods/add-ons. Cheap and easy to maintain.

The L can be modded enough to get as much or more power than a stock R. Will just be a bit heavier, but plenty of lightening mods are avail.

The E-start is a definate bonus.

For DS riding, the L has a big advantage in its sub-frame. You can load it with more crap to haul around with you in the hills.

I installed the Hotcam stage 1 in my L, along with FCR carb, exhaust mods , etc., makes very good power.

I would really like to have an R for my trips out to the dez., though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FoxRacin17

Posted February 18, 2008 - 08:33 PM

wow, that was fast. you guys are way better than the XR400 board.

anyway, how do you go about getting a R legalized? do they like look at it and test it or something or do you just walk in and say i want a tag? they dont do any emmissions testing in FL that i know of. Like i said earlier, i have a XR400R that i ride in the dirt. a 650R would be a nice ride though i think. I honestly think i could ride my 400 all day and be comfortable (except for this stupid seat i bought). Is the 650R gonna be more like that? or how is the R and L gonna be different like comfort wise? our honda shop dont have many dirt bikes in stock so i cant sit on one. they have a L but no R. i dont know anyone with enough balls that i ride with to buy one either. i like the looks of the R better too. ill have to check and see what needs to be done to bikes in FL to be legal. i know i would need a brake light switch. the headlight should be good. blinkers are not required here. i need a horn and mirror though. and tires. air cooled is sweet though. ahhhhh.... why did Honda do this? they should have made a light 650L with the power of the R. i think it would be too much work and not worth it to make a R legal. i have a XR400 to ride on dirt most of the time. thats probably $500 extra right there. plus mods i would do. i guess i could lighten the L up a bit.

anyone know of any good mods to the L to make it lighter?

• martinfan30

Posted February 18, 2008 - 08:42 PM

Ya, relocate the battery to the airbox, plastic tank, remove passenger footpegs, lighter bars, remove the taillight and blinkers and install LED units. The L is more like your 400 than the R.

The legalizing the R for street is a great question you should ask in the DS forum.

• Norge

Posted February 18, 2008 - 09:10 PM

Totally different bikes...more so than the crf450x and the crf450r...yet they each get their own forums :) -->but "L" guys, dont take any offense, I like being in the forum with you all....you bring a beneficial feminine aspect to the group :cry:

That's just good stuff!! :applause:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 19, 2008 - 09:49 AM

lol. it probably takes more skill to ride a L on the trails especally in ny:busted: . how did you get your R plated? nice bike.

Yeah, an R won't buy you much speed around here, and where I was in CT I'll flat out say an L was a better choice than an R.

Dave

• hondacrf150f1

Posted February 19, 2008 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, an R won't buy you much speed around here, and where I was in CT I'll flat out say an L was a better choice than an R.

Dave

sorry an xr650r owns the L in every way except comfort. Suspension, handling, looks, power. If your a kid you would proble be more happy on a R.

I ride about 1,000 miles a month on my R. Its a f-ing beast, 0-80 in a flash, weights 40 pounds less, you will never loose that weight on an L...and even if you do, you cant get the same power. In florida heat the liquid cooling will do better, and the R will last just as long as a L.

To plate the R in some states requires no effort, some poeple plate bikes with no lights or anything, check and see if your state does inspections, if they do, buy a baja designs kit, it has everything you need, lights, horn, brake light, turn signals, ect.
Posted Image

• FoxRacin17

Posted February 19, 2008 - 11:37 AM

i would love an R but idk how practical it would be. if i could find one that was already street legal them maybe. or of i could get one for about a grand less than my CBR im selling that would be good cause id have the $ to make it legal.

• Maroast

Posted February 19, 2008 - 01:22 PM

Dave

Actually, I live on long island right now and there are many places where the R shines. We have big sand pits here and this thing throws down some major torque to effortlessly fly up the walls and through the flats. Also, majority of our trials on LI spur off power lines... the terrain of the power lines is very similar to what I rode when I lived in the south west...very fast wide open strait tracks littered with loose rocks, sand sections, and monster whoops...So I totally disagree, I can ride the same loop of trails much faster on my R.

As for riding around on the street.....lets just say that I almost looped-out @ about 50mph on sunday when I cracked the throttle in 3rd gear (15X45 final) :applause:

The L is a great all around bike....but if your mentally unstable and have impulse control issues that you want to feed, buy an R!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 19, 2008 - 02:33 PM

Actually, I live on long island right now and there are many places where the R shines. We have big sand pits here and this thing throws down some major torque to effortlessly fly up the walls and through the flats. Also, majority of our trials on LI spur off power lines... the terrain of the power lines is very similar to what I rode when I lived in the south west...very fast wide open strait tracks littered with loose rocks, sand sections, and monster whoops...So I totally disagree, I can ride the same loop of trails much faster on my R.

As for riding around on the street.....lets just say that I almost looped-out @ about 50mph on sunday when I cracked the throttle in 3rd gear (15X45 final) :applause:

The L is a great all around bike....but if your mentally unstable and have impulse control issues that you want to feed, buy an R!

Open stuff, yeah, but that's the exact opposite of what I'm talking about!

Dave

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 19, 2008 - 02:36 PM

sorry an xr650r owns the L in every way except comfort. Suspension, handling, looks, power. If your a kid you would proble be more happy on a R.

I ride about 1,000 miles a month on my R. Its a f-ing beast, 0-80 in a flash, weights 40 pounds less, you will never loose that weight on an L...and even if you do, you cant get the same power. In florida heat the liquid cooling will do better, and the R will last just as long as a L.

To plate the R in some states requires no effort, some poeple plate bikes with no lights or anything, check and see if your state does inspections, if they do, buy a baja designs kit, it has everything you need, lights, horn, brake light, turn signals, ect.
Posted Image

With that setup you've obviously never been up or down tight, steep, rocky trails where extra power does no good!
The XRR is setup to be a fast bike, but I'll bet the XRL makes a better trials bike over really nasty technical stuff.

Get some knobbies on that thing and head over to the boneyard.

Dave

• hondacrf150f1

Posted February 19, 2008 - 03:56 PM

With that setup you've obviously never been up or down tight, steep, rocky trails where extra power does no good!
The XRR is setup to be a fast bike, but I'll bet the XRL makes a better trials bike over really nasty technical stuff.

Get some knobbies on that thing and head over to the boneyard.

Dave

I do some in the summer, go from 15-40 sumo gearing to 14-48 and throw on the knobbies...I would have to say a lighter bike would proble do better in the tight stuff:confused:
Yes there are way better bikes for off-road than the XR650R but the 650L is not 1 of them....i quess i see your point meaning the 650L power is easier to handle, because its not as explosive...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.