YZ426 Advise

12 replies to this topic

Posted February 18, 2008 - 10:40 AM

Please let me know your thoughts on a 02 YZ426 the bike is extremely clean low hours and I know all the history. I ride off road only, trails woods etc. I have never rode any yamahas and really only intersted in the 426 because I could pick this one up CHEAP!!! I was planning on a much newer bike but the deal has been laid in my lap.

your thoughts please.

• SRT426

Posted February 18, 2008 - 11:24 AM

It's a green sticker bike which for trail riding is a big plus here in CA. And it's a Yamaha with rock solid reliability. Yes it's heavy but once you set it up for your weight and start riding it you'll never notice it until it tip over and you have to lift it or push it. I've got a 2001 YZ426 that I use for trail riding and with 13/50 gearing it's ideal for big hills and tight twisty stuff. Depending on how far you ride get a larger tank (about 45-50 on a stock tank). Great trail bike's :applause: :cry: :)

• tennessee450

Posted February 18, 2008 - 11:38 AM

Just make sure you learn how to crank that bike. It has a sequence that is crucial to getting that bike to run. Once you've mastered it, it is no problem.

• spc mike

Posted February 18, 2008 - 01:03 PM

BUY IT! i would buy 2 more if i had the money!:applause:

• Slinkyman16

Posted February 18, 2008 - 01:31 PM

its an awsome bike. i love my 02. by the way how much?

• e30M3

Posted February 18, 2008 - 02:55 PM

Love mine. Starting isn't as bad as most people say but it does take a little technique. I opted for the 450 CAM swap and also recommend that.

Just buy it, you know you want it...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted February 18, 2008 - 04:31 PM

I've got an 01', so far has been a fantastic bike and I think the 02' is more polished than the 01'. I say get it. The motor is magic, great power from right off idle all the way up. After a couple starts the starting will be cake, people who tell you it's difficult are just silly.

Posted February 18, 2008 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the input the price is a familily thing so I will keep that shhhhhhh!
I was looking to go X, WR, EXC but this would work really well for family.
The only thing it will need is a pipe, current is a White Bros E DISK type.

• 426boy

Posted February 18, 2008 - 05:53 PM

if you can score it cheap then there is no reason not to, its an awesome bike, very reliable, and gobs of power

• Slinkyman16

Posted February 18, 2008 - 06:45 PM

where in cali are you?

• buzzgrizz

Posted February 18, 2008 - 06:47 PM

buy it i like my 426 and worry that i wouldnt like a newer bike

• Mike Schubert

Posted February 23, 2008 - 03:07 PM

Just bought the same bike a couple of months ago. Great bike! You can make it excellent by installing the 12oz Stealy flywheel. The swap is easy and improves nearly every characteristic of the bike.

• felix 222

Posted February 23, 2008 - 05:48 PM

well, the 02 is the last competition bike year you can ride all seasons...so if you'd like a competition bike over a trail bike, go for it!

the 426 is an excellent trail bike; i just suggest a heavier flywheel

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.