Air Box Drain

I sank my wr a week back. I have changed the oil cleaned and oiled the air filter and lubed all the cables. when i had my air filter out i loosened the subfram and removed the air box to clean it. the drain tube has a little rubber "sock" on the outside of the air box. the rubber "sock" had been sealed on the drain end. so i cut it off to let the water out and now i am second guessing myself. how much is too much to remove. should i have just cut a small 45 degree off the bottom? i don't want to let water back into the fresh air filter and clean air box.

What year is the bike? My 07 has a clear plastic one and a clip to hold it in place. Easily removed without cutting anything. I'd seal it back up, as the last thing you want is water heading up that hole and into the bottom of the airbox. Looking at the Yamaha parts diagrams, they have the same setup on earlier models too. A new part (Drain #5BF-1443E-00-00 and Clip #90467-17089-00) will set you back around $2.50

• Like 1

mine is a 2000 wr 400 i think i'll heat it with a lighter and seal 3/4 of it back up, save the one lower corner. i'll try the local parts house and see if they can order it for me. its good to have a back up when performing such indepth custom fab work!:applause:

mine is a 2000 wr 400 i think i'll heat it with a lighter and seal 3/4 of it back up, save the one lower corner. i'll try the local parts house and see if they can order it for me. its good to have a back up when performing such indepth custom fab work!?

:applause:

• Like 1

mine is a 2000 wr 400 i think i'll heat it with a lighter and seal 3/4 of it back up, save the one lower corner. i'll try the local parts house and see if they can order it for me. its good to have a back up when performing such indepth custom fab work!:applause:

Good idea. The part number are the same for the 2000 WR400 as well. We ride in really wet conditions here, so I'd have been in a whole load of trouble without closing the hole off. If I were back in TX, I'd be less worried. Starting to miss that dry heat in summer. ?

Here is something I did. The stock 'sock' is clear, you can see if there is any crap in the airbox. I clipe the pinched off end and located a nice plug (got it from F@ Racing) and inserted it to the stub of a tube. Any time I see stuff in the tube, I pull the plug, drain it and re-insert the plug. Much easier to remove the plug Vs. puling the tube off of the airbox.

Good idea. The part number are the same for the 2000 WR400 as well. We ride in really wet conditions here, so I'd have been in a whole load of trouble without closing the hole off. If I were back in TX, I'd be less worried. Starting to miss that dry heat in summer. :applause:

dry heat? must have been in west Texas! thanks for the advise. it had all kinds of leaves and dirt in it, after the splash down in the creek. i'm used to dry heat in the so cal desert and riding with the tube tiwsted all the way back. its alot more fun out here there is all kinds of terrain to choose from.

Here is something I did. The stock 'sock' is clear, you can see if there is any crap in the airbox. I clipe the pinched off end and located a nice plug (got it from F@ Racing) and inserted it to the stub of a tube. Any time I see stuff in the tube, I pull the plug, drain it and re-insert the plug. Much easier to remove the plug Vs. puling the tube off of the airbox.

what kind of plug like a vaccum plug for a car engine? or would a bolt work?

i'll tinker with it this weekend. i removed the air box to clean it and got carried away cleaning the engine area while the box was off:bonk:

Just go get eh damn $2.00 part from the yamaha shop and forget about it. Its just a drain for oil when you put new filters on, or in your case when you let swamp thing come out of the creek and grab ahold of you. I always new you were a sailor at heart, but your bike isn't the submarine youve dreamed as a lad of being on. Put a new sock, 2.98 I just checked from TO yamaha. And on your way. It will look clear, not a grungy blue color like yours. Thats from years of fresh goey air filters being slammed in there the night before a long ass pauite ride. Happy Trails Little Buddy!!!:applause:

? Watch out for the HAAIIIGHHAAA BUSHESSS!!!!!!!!!!?

• Like 1

Just go get eh damn $2.00 part from the yamaha shop and forget about it. Its just a drain for oil when you put new filters on, or in your case when you let swamp thing come out of the creek and grab ahold of you. I always new you were a sailor at heart, but your bike isn't the submarine youve dreamed as a lad of being on. Put a new sock, 2.98 I just checked from TO yamaha. And on your way. It will look clear, not a grungy blue color like yours. Thats from years of fresh goey air filters being slammed in there the night before a long ass pauite ride. Happy Trails Little Buddy!!!?

? Watch out for the HAAIIIGHHAAA BUSHESSS!!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

they do not have hiiiiiiaaayayayayayay bushes out here.:applause:

i have a blue bike, that does not make me a sailor! and swamp thing did reach out and grab me he held my fat a$$ under water for a few seconds too.:eek: but here "deep in the heart of Texas" the do have water mocosons,macasuns,mocko...cotton mouths. there is no yamaha dealer here, however there is a husky dealer and a ducati dealer. that does me no good. i'll weld it back together except the one corner and pick the new 3.00 part up at 1000 oaks yamaha when i come home in May for the flying pumpkins wedding!:eek::foul:

Ill do you better NANCY. Ill buy the damn part for you, and ill ship you my dingaling sock.:applause: Ill mail it to you asap. PS they invented this thing called internet and telephone, maybe somewhere in TE"JAS they have a yammy dealer. Damn right your coming out for my wedding. WORD Yatchie! Cant wait to see you again!?

you can get a one way drain tube from a xr600 that fits with a small hose clamp,$5 and it works like a charm:thumbsup:

It looks like the XR600R and XR650R use the same part. Is this the correct part number?

TUBE, DRAIN for 2000 Honda XR600R ($3.23)

17358-HM8-000

TUBE, DRAIN for 2007 Honda XR650R ($3.23)

17358-HM8-000

Is it worth getting the Honda clip or is a hose clamp better?

CLIP A ($1.82)

17316-MN1-670

• Like 1

It looks like the XR600R and XR650R use the same part. Is this the correct part number?

TUBE, DRAIN for 2000 Honda XR600R ($3.23)

17358-HM8-000

TUBE, DRAIN for 2007 Honda XR650R ($3.23)

17358-HM8-000

Is it worth getting the Honda clip or is a hose clamp better?

CLIP A ($1.82)

17316-MN1-670

works so good they still use it:applause: i clamped mine with a small screw type hose clamp to make sure it didn't come off:thumbsup:

thanks for all the help guys...where were you when i tried that creek crossing? could have avoided all of the problems sheesh:D :applause:

every one got gas. even the flying pumpkin that ran out the othernight in front of the bike cop with expired tags:lol: ?