Coolant Leak 2006 WR

10 replies to this topic
  • yamahaxt

Posted February 18, 2008 - 05:28 AM

We had an above freezing day in MI. so I thought I would start my bike for the first time is 3 months to begin the pre-spring maintence for a March TN. trip. After about 100 kicks it finally took off. Then I notice coolent coming out from the bottom of the water pump. There is a small hole on the botom that I do not understand what it is for. Any info would help. The coolent did stop coming out after the bike ran for about a minute.

• 5hauler

Posted February 18, 2008 - 05:37 AM

That is called a weep hole. If the seal on the inside of the pump starts to leak, it leaks from that hole to let you know. It could have had a piece of dirt stuck in the seal that has worked its way out. Chances it will start again are high.
Jay

• yamahaxt

Posted February 18, 2008 - 06:35 AM

Thank you

• kskyles

Posted February 18, 2008 - 07:44 AM

you've got a very common problem. the weeping coolant is usually a worn seal and an impeller shaft with grooves in it. it's an easy fix, and all the part numbers are included in the performance index and FAQs in the sticky section.

it's about $70 and an hour of your time to fix it right.

every WR owner has to do this sooner or later.

• MojaveThumper

Posted February 20, 2008 - 07:52 PM

Just did this not long ago, not that big a deal. You have to get a new gasket for that side as well.

Couple of things that weren't really covered well in the manaul:

YOU HAVE to remove all the bolts off the side cover. I tried to take out the minimal. NOPE, all have to come out.

You have to "punch" the bearing out of the rear of the case in order to get the rear seal out. Then use a socket to tap it back in.

OH, you have to drain the oil and radiator fluid. (that may be in the manual though)

All told, took about 2 hrs (first timer with this) and about 12 dollars worth of parts. Normally the yamaha dealers have these in stock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drtbk4ever

Posted February 21, 2008 - 08:48 AM

I have a quick question.

When I start my bike up on those really cold days, it always leaks a bit of coolant from the weap hole. Once the temperatures warm up, it never leaks.

It even did so right after the previous owner changed the seals (he changed them because it leaked the day I looked at it so he fixed it before I took possession). He took the shaft to the dealer and the dealer confirmed the shaft was fine. So I have just assumed that the seals needed to warm up to seal properly, since it doesn't leak once the bike is warm nor when the air temperatures are well above freezing.

Do you guys think my theory is correct, or do you think my impeller shaft has grooves in it?

• Frostbite

Posted February 21, 2008 - 02:02 PM

I have a quick question.

When I start my bike up on those really cold days, it always leaks a bit of coolant from the weap hole. Once the temperatures warm up, it never leaks.

It even did so right after the previous owner changed the seals (he changed them because it leaked the day I looked at it so he fixed it before I took possession). He took the shaft to the dealer and the dealer confirmed the shaft was fine. So I have just assumed that the seals needed to warm up to seal properly, since it doesn't leak once the bike is warm nor when the air temperatures are well above freezing.

Do you guys think my theory is correct, or do you think my impeller shaft has grooves in it?

I'd say leaking overnight but not while running is probably more temperature related. With new seals and shaft, my 400 would occasionally (but not always) have a little green patch of snow under it in the morning, but no leaks while riding.

Also, when the seals are installed correctly, the pressure helps to improve the seal. Maybe after the bike cools and there's no pressure in the system, the seals aren't quite as effective.

• djv5

Posted February 21, 2008 - 06:46 PM

I just replaced the shaft, both seals, and all gaskets for the second time. My bike is stored in a 50 degree garage, and the bike still weeps coolant until the motor warms up. I even applied the lithium based soap grease as the manual recommended. Guess we have to live with this.

• brad the best

Posted February 21, 2008 - 11:08 PM

its gonna happen with the low silica coolant ran in the engines ,the seals just don't swell up like in a car . if it clears up when its warm then just make sure you top off the coolant now and then

• dirtysouth

Posted February 22, 2008 - 09:22 AM

its gonna happen with the low silica coolant ran in the engines ,the seals just don't swell up like in a car . if it clears up when its warm then just make sure you top off the coolant now and then

KTM guy told me that his has always leaked until it warms up. Know that its a KTM and all but his is an 08 so this seems to be a common occurence on more than one bike. Thanks Yama for the weep hole. Guess you just want to be sure that your oil isn't gettin cloudy and keep it full.

• yamahaxt

Posted February 22, 2008 - 12:17 PM

Just a thought. I stored my bike in basement of my house so I could clean it up during the winter months in Michigan. When I took it out and started it, the seals did not leak. After leaving it out in the garage for 3 months and started it the seals leaked. I like the theory drtbk4ever proposed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.