87XR600R Oil Trouble

5 replies to this topic
  • Jeremy2Wheel

Posted February 17, 2008 - 12:13 PM

Hey Guys,
I have a 87xr600r and it is loosing oil fast. I know these engines tend to leak some, but this bike just starting dumping oil. It looks like there may be oil coming out between the jug and the case. I know the jug is torqued to spec because I did it myself. Has anyone ever experienced this? Also, does anyone know if the engine to frame oil lines are interchangeable (between model years). They are no longer available for 87's and I want to replace the old ones on my bike. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Butta

Posted February 17, 2008 - 12:20 PM

Hey Guys,
I have a 87xr600r and it is loosing oil fast. I know these engines tend to leak some, but this bike just starting dumping oil. It looks like there may be oil coming out between the jug and the case. I know the jug is torqued to spec because I did it myself. Has anyone ever experienced this? Also, does anyone know if the engine to frame oil lines are interchangeable (between model years). They are no longer available for 87's and I want to replace the old ones on my bike. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

So I assume you just did engine work on it. Did you remove all the cylinder base gasket from the two pieces? Were the sealing faces smooth and clean, flat as can be expected? Did you use any Hondabond on the surfaces when you put them together?

The new gaskets are pretty compressible, as designed for a good seal. You undoubtedly have to redo it. Check the sealing faces for flatness while you have it apart. I feel sorry for you, 'cause that gasket is a biatch to get off.

• Jeremy2Wheel

Posted February 17, 2008 - 03:26 PM

The surfaces were clean and flat. I didn't use any silicone, just the new gasket. The funny thing is that it had been fine for about 6 months, then it just started leaking.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeremy2Wheel

Posted February 22, 2008 - 05:24 AM

So, have any of you guys with early xr600r's replaced your oil lines with those of a later model year? If not, does anybody know a place that can repair these old lines?
Thanks for your help. Any advice is appreciated.

• creeky

Posted February 22, 2008 - 05:59 AM

Are the lines the source of the leakage you mentioned in your original post? If there is leakage around the base gasket, you might want to check and see if one of the cylinder retaining bolts has stripped out of the case. Over the years I have seen this happen a couple of times, in both cases there was oil leaking around the base gasket.

• Jeremy2Wheel

Posted February 23, 2008 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for your reply. I don't think the oil lines are the main source of the leak. I am afraid one of the cylinder retaining bolts is loose, stripped, or broke. However, I still want to replace the oil lines. They are old and look like they could go at any minute. If I have to go to the trouble to pull the jug, I am going to replace the oil lines. So, I will gladly buy new lines from a later model year, but I am not sure if they will fit an '87 model. Again, thanks to all for any advice.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.