Yz Or Yzf Need Help

17 replies to this topic
  • FEESHERMAN

Posted February 17, 2008 - 10:47 AM

Abou to purchase a bike. Found tow deals in my area one is a 2005 yz 250 the other is a 2004 yzf450f. Both are the same price at 2500$. will not be racing but do like to ride hard on the track and trail, air and ground. So what says the masses? Any and all opinions will be helpful. Thanks in advance!
DJ

• zachrider

Posted February 25, 2008 - 02:40 PM

my dad has a 2002 yz 250 and I have a 04 yz450f. we both ride pretty hard here in the socal desert. as for trails, i would go for the 450, maybe do some gearing to mellow out the power and that will make it more controllable, but then again the yz250 is a little more nimble.

• CrashBellley

Posted May 10, 2008 - 10:01 AM

a 450 would be good for where i ride, theres lots of fire roads and trails wide enough for quads, so being super nimble isnt a big issue, it all really depends on what the trails are like out where you live if they are tight, u could go with the 250, but if your trails are more rugged and rocky/log covered, u might want the 450
i know in contradicting myself, but really its all the basis of what its like there, if its kind of the place where you have to lug your motor out a bit, then 4 stroke, if youve got lots of straightaways and smooth winding trails, 250 it up

sorry if im not alot of help

• CRF250X Rider

Posted May 10, 2008 - 11:00 AM

For tight trails the 250 will dominate. It will also be great in anything else. Its a very versitile bike. The 450 is an 04 and will have an older steel frame, but the 250 has an aluminum frame. I would go for the 250, NC got lots of tight stuff to have fun in. If you ride a lot of wide open fire trails and stuff 450 will be a b etter choice.

• hillclimbguy

Posted May 10, 2008 - 11:17 AM

YZ250 is good, light and nimble. The 450 is nice too but only a 4 speed. Ok it you do high speed stuff or track. If you do tight trails, have to gear down but will suck if you have to ride a fire road. Touph decision. Good luck

• CRF250X Rider

Posted May 10, 2008 - 11:48 AM

YZ250 is good, light and nimble. The 450 is nice too but only a 4 speed. Ok it you do high speed stuff or track. If you do tight trails, have to gear down but will suck if you have to ride a fire road. Touph decision. Good luck

I didn't even think about the 4 speed. Definitly get the 250 if thats the case. You will hate that 4 speed tranny.

• x2468

Posted May 10, 2008 - 02:28 PM

4-speed 450 and 5-speed 250 2-stroke top out about the same speed i think. around 70. so it takes away one of the big advantages the 4-stroke has, which is high speed cruising.

if you ride logging roads, quad trails, and hill climb frequently the 450 might be better.

if you ride single track and really slow, tight conditions go for the 250.

but really u can't go wrong with either. they're both great bikes and with some modifications can do either job.

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2008 - 03:11 PM

You will hate that 4 speed tranny.

I never hated mine :thumbsup:

• tw557

Posted May 10, 2008 - 06:33 PM

I went thru this delimma 2 years ago. Because of how great and "fun" to ride a 2 stroke was I got a 04 yz250. After a couple rides I hated my riding ability. I was either spinning, wheeling or trying to clutch it. There was little throttle control. The bike was all stock. I just could ride smoothly.
Then I got a great deal on a 03 YZ450. I got to ride the bikes back to back a couple times in the same day. That night the YZ was for sale. The throttle on the YZ450 was SOOOOOOOOO much more controllable. I hate to use Night and Day difference but in this case the control factor was unbelievable. Now I was having "fun" by going faster and smoother. Granted this is with my average skill level. I believe 2stroke work great with higher skill levels. Also I usually stuck the 450 in one gear for the whole track and maybe shift once at most tracks. On track NEVER will the 5 speed be an issue. Just had to chime in because I went thru your situation. I hope it helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • x2468

Posted May 10, 2008 - 08:05 PM

ive been going thru this dilemma for a year. I finally decided to go with an 06 or newer 450. but my cars transmission just went bad, so im low on cash. I still have enough but i wanted to have save some as well. so i might go with an 05 or newer yz250 for price reasons.

• corndog67

Posted May 10, 2008 - 09:16 PM

Hey Feeesh, it all depends on what you are used to. I just sold a YZ250 2 stroke to pay off some credit cards before we bought our house, and I just bought an 06 YZ450 after we got settled in. Each has its own advantages, the 250 is just flickable, but I really like the 450 also, just a more relaxed riding style than the 2 stroke. I've also been told not to ride a KTM 300 or I will want one really, really bad. Its up to you. You can't go wrong with either of them.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted May 11, 2008 - 05:54 AM

Hey Feeesh, it all depends on what you are used to. I just sold a YZ250 2 stroke to pay off some credit cards before we bought our house, and I just bought an 06 YZ450 after we got settled in. Each has its own advantages, the 250 is just flickable, but I really like the 450 also, just a more relaxed riding style than the 2 stroke. I've also been told not to ride a KTM 300 or I will want one really, really bad. Its up to you. You can't go wrong with either of them.

I hated my KTM 300. That thing vibrated so bad and it couldn't turn with a crap.

If I had to chose between an 05 250 and a 04 450, I would go with the aluminum frame 250. You would be amazed at how much fun that bike is to ride. I also think riding a 2 stroke will make you a better rider for when you do get a four stroke.
BTW if you do buy the two stroke you should keep it forever. I plan on getting one soon.

• angrybob

Posted May 11, 2008 - 07:40 AM

I've never been a track guy, just off-road trails, washes and tight single track stuff.

I had a '00 yz426 for six years
Bought an '05 yz250 in Nov '07
Bought an '06 yz450f in Feb '08

I had all three bikes for a while to make the decision you are going through. For me, if I was only riding tight trails, the yz250 was the best. Light, nimble, and yes...torque. It was very easy to flick through the single tracks. But when we got on to the open washes and trails, I was searching for sixth, seventh, and eighth gear.

The 450f is a little harder to flick through the tight stuff, but not a huge difference. It lugs a lot better and has a much more linear delivery. In te washes and fast trails, there is no comparison. For me, the 450f is far superior.

I wanted one bike for total duty and ended up with the '06 yz450. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

In your situation, I would probably go with the yz250. Its supposed to be a great track bike with the aluminum frame. Its good for all around woods where the traction is better than here in the dry desert. You will probably suffer only on the long high speed runs. Maintenance and top end are also easier.

If it was an '06 or newer yz450, i'd definitely go with the thumper.

• kain522

Posted May 11, 2008 - 12:12 PM

I own a KTM250 (2 st) and an 04 YZ450. Love both bikes, but they have very different personalities. The 250 has a hard hitting "gun and run" type of power that wants to be ridden hard. The 450 seems almost lazy by comparison, but goes just as fast with half the work. The 250 feels feather light. The 450 feels heavier, even though there is only about a 25 pound difference. The thing that I've noticed, is that the 250 will happily lug away in tight areas, but the 450 hates them. It wants room to run. So, I guess it comes down to where you're going to be riding. If the going will be tight and snotty, the 250 will be your best friend. If you've got the room to let it go, you'll love the 450. And like Gray said, the 4 speed trans has never been an issue in anything I've done.

• yama02yz250f

Posted May 11, 2008 - 01:05 PM

im a little confused. everyone says 2 strokes are better in the tight nasty stuff due to their weight but then they say how the 4 stroke is better at luggin around. I ride a 00 yz426 now and feel like i am always luggin it around and rarely get out of 1st gear on the trails. The trails are very rutted, muddy, and full of roots but are tighter double track. which would be better for these trails?

• BBrown626

Posted May 11, 2008 - 01:40 PM

Abou to purchase a bike. Found tow deals in my area one is a 2005 yz 250 the other is a 2004 yzf450f. Both are the same price at 2500$. will not be racing but do like to ride hard on the track and trail, air and ground. So what says the masses? Any and all opinions will be helpful. Thanks in advance!
DJ

I have the '04 YZ450F and the '08 YZ250 (2-smoke). The 250 handles much better than the 450. It is much easier to corner, flick around, etc. The only place the 450 is better is the power it has on tap if you have a short run-up to a jump or for mx starts. The 450 does use less gasoline. If you like the 2-stroke power delivery, don't mind the extra expense of mixing oil, want your bike to turn well and you ride for fun then get the 250. Easier on the budget too.

Either way, good luck and enjoy riding.

• BBrown626

Posted May 11, 2008 - 01:42 PM

I own a KTM250 (2 st) and an 04 YZ450. Love both bikes, but they have very different personalities. The 250 has a hard hitting "gun and run" type of power that wants to be ridden hard. The 450 seems almost lazy by comparison, but goes just as fast with half the work. The 250 feels feather light. The 450 feels heavier, even though there is only about a 25 pound difference. The thing that I've noticed, is that the 250 will happily lug away in tight areas, but the 450 hates them. It wants room to run. So, I guess it comes down to where you're going to be riding. If the going will be tight and snotty, the 250 will be your best friend. If you've got the room to let it go, you'll love the 450. And like Gray said, the 4 speed trans has never been an issue in anything I've done.

The 4-speed works well with the power the '04 450.

• thumpyz

Posted May 11, 2008 - 03:26 PM

My 04 450 has been topped out at jut over 80mph. I would go with the thumper. 2 strokes are fun, just not as convenient as pulling up to a gas station and filling up. It is a little heavier, but I think I am a better rider one the 450. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.