Just bought a new cam, need help!

3 replies to this topic
  • czeddie

Posted October 25, 2002 - 07:35 PM

Folks, I just bought a new stock Honda cam for my '90 XR600. Also purchased four new rocker arms.

Question. How do I get the cam chain holder/bearing off of the old cam and onto the new cam?

Will have lot's of questions over the next couple of weeks, but I want to get this one out of the way with first since I think it might be the biggest hurdle. :)

• RunAnywhere

Posted October 26, 2002 - 03:26 AM

Hey CZeddie,

Do not try to pry, pull(gear puller) or knock the bearing off. Chances are that you will reuse it. You will almost have to take it to a shop to have it pressed off. Worse case scenario, get a new bearing for your new cam and find a heavy pipe that just clears the dia. of the cam, and use it to gently tap the new bearing on as square as you can.

It is very important that you do not use that old bearing if you were not able to remove it properly.

Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • czeddie

Posted October 26, 2002 - 04:34 AM

Thanks. But how can I remove it at home, with my home tools. I need to learn to do this myself. I hate having to depend on others. (but i guess i'm depending on you. :) )

• Thumpdup

Posted October 27, 2002 - 06:26 PM

The bearings will "fall" off...no effort required. The gear requires some work to remove. I use a large vise, open enough to hold gear without pinching the cam. I then use a brass rod and brass hammer and get after it. I have done this on at least 8 ocassions with great results. I also press the gear on the new cam with the vise. I do not beat the gear onto the cam. This does require a big vise.
Also,think about a better cam while you are at it and wake the beast up.

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.