flopped my WR, coolant leaked out, what should I top off with

9 replies to this topic
  • Demo_Slug

Posted February 16, 2008 - 12:39 PM

I flopped my 08 WR on a downhill :):cry: , once me and the bike stopped sliding, it landed funny and the coolant leaked out the resivour breather tube.:applause: what should I top it off with? the manual said not to mix coolant types.

• tweav

Posted February 16, 2008 - 01:47 PM

stock My 07 came with a 50/50 mix of old school green antifreeze and water. I did'nt put that back in after I changed my water pump seals I put in some LP Liquid performace Racing antifreeze only because It's legal at a AMA sanctioned road events. I just want to hit a few track days this year ,but the old school stuff is just fine for most people.

• William1

Posted February 16, 2008 - 02:45 PM

I simply bought a few qts. of Yamacool premix. Pricey, but convenient. I figure it is 100% safe to use with the stuff that came in my bike. If I used something else, I be more comfortable with a complete flush N' fill. Bike only holds total about a quart.

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 16, 2008 - 03:19 PM

Just top it off with some distilled water and be done with it

• C-P

Posted February 16, 2008 - 08:51 PM

Just top it off with some distilled water and be done with it

That's what I'd do, or toss in Peak Global...supposed to be able to mix with anything.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02WR426Cali

Posted February 16, 2008 - 09:11 PM

They probably mean not to mix green with orange, blue, pink, red or any other color out there. They all are made with different ingredients I believe. So if you have green like most stock bikes (ethanol glycol or something like that) you can mix in any brand of green with it I would think.

• Demo_Slug

Posted February 17, 2008 - 12:06 AM

so I checked the radiator today.. all the manual says is to check that the radiator is full. I did not see anything about adding some to the over flow tank. although it seems like all the bikes are delivered with the overfull filled 2 or three inches. My radiator is full... but my over flow is empty. I guess its OK? although it is kinda nice to see coolant in the overflow just as a indicator that I still got some :)

the manual says to use "soft water" , don't use "hard water", that seems kinda subjective to me :applause: and it says to use distilled water only if you have to. at least distilled water is a known quantity.

thanks for the input guys.

• William1

Posted February 17, 2008 - 04:46 AM

On the overflow tank, there is a line. With a full radiator, cold bike, add coolant to the overflow tank to the line, it is only about an inch or so, maybe will take 1 or 2 ounces. Unless you are OCD like me, do not worry about the air in the line to the radiator. Eventually, it will be purged out by the hot/cold cycles.
Best water to add is de-ionized (soft), again, if you want the best.

• Demo_Slug

Posted February 17, 2008 - 11:57 AM

On the overflow tank, there is a line. With a full radiator, cold bike, add coolant to the overflow tank to the line, it is only about an inch or so, maybe will take 1 or 2 ounces. Unless you are OCD like me, do not worry about the air in the line to the radiator. Eventually, it will be purged out by the hot/cold cycles.
Best water to add is de-ionized (soft), again, if you want the best.

DI water. lots of luck getting that at the super market. I use a DI water filter at work... but only because of the electrical isolation it provides.

• William1

Posted February 17, 2008 - 03:54 PM

LOL, I know, DI is not common. I only mentiojned it as Yamaha states so in the manual. I wonder if they use DI on the factory fill......

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.