What is considered a stop at a stop sign?

32 replies to this topic
  • ZEKEDAWG

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:28 AM

My xr 600 is a bit tall for my 30 inch legs, so when I pull up to a stop sign i am able to stop, balance, then take off again. As long as I don't have to wait for other traffic, and even then sometimes i can balance long enough. Do I have to put a foot down to be considered a "stop" vs a calif stop?

• racermx66

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:33 AM

When I took my motorcycle license test, the instructor told me that in NJ both feet have to be down at a stop. I failed the test because I thought you only had to put one foot down.

• Kommando

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:08 PM

My xr 600 is a bit tall for my 30 inch legs, so when I pull up to a stop sign i am able to stop, balance, then take off again. As long as I don't have to wait for other traffic, and even then sometimes i can balance long enough. Do I have to put a foot down to be considered a "stop" vs a calif stop?

Read your state laws to see what they say.

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

Read your state laws to see what they say.

Too lazy, Most people here know everything anyway, :applause: .

• threadsofwisdom

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:30 PM

I would say it depends on the immediate environment. If theres a cop sitting close by watching the intersection for stop sign runners, I would put both feet down. If no ones around, the feet wouldnt leave the pegs. Just depends - but as far as actual legal definitions - it probably varies by state.

• PALMER84ONE

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

Zeke, Did you get a copper stopper for that? I would think one leg down would be considered a stop but I aint sure..

• robklx400

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:06 AM

3 seconds is the law in KS. I learned the hard way.

• Justang

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:08 AM

If I remember correctly from my test... years ago... you have to put one foot on the ground and come to a complete stop.

• pacree

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:19 AM

I just balance most of the time at stop signs, unless there is traffic and I have to wait. I usually see this sign when I come to an intersection though...
Posted Image

• drzmike1

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:18 PM

I always heard one foot down.:applause:

• onethumper

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:54 PM

in b.c. you would fail if you put both feet down. your right should stay on the rear brake. but that's on paper... in the real world sometimes you're balanced differently, the road may be sloped etc. if you treat it like a yeild, just be safe!

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:56 PM

Interesting stuff on noise restrictions
http://www.ducatigir...dmv_a_main.html

I have been reading through the vehicle code and for the life of me cannot find a definition of "stop" like at a stop sign or light.

• grreatdog

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:01 PM

In most places it is going to be whatever the traffic cop wants it to be. It is your word against theirs for something like that. I rarely put either foot down at a stop sign when there is no cross traffic and I have never been pulled over - for that.

• CReffex

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

I hope it's not 2 feet down... I'm only 5'7 and on the 650L I can't touch but one at a time...

• Chokey

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

I usually see this sign when I come to an intersection though...

Posted Image:) At least I'm not the only one...:applause:

• Birdy426

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:03 PM

Back in the day I used to ride a road bike (bicycle) and woud "track stand" for a second or two at stop signs because it was easier than unclipping from the pedals. I got a ticket for failing to make a complete stop, although I was stopped and balanced long enough for cross traffic to pass thru the intersection. The officer told me that if I didn't put at least one foot down, then in his judgement it was not a complete stop.

• pacree

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:50 AM

I just don't agree with the one foot down. What difference would it make if we put one foot, two feet or just balanced as long as we stopped at a sign. When motorcyclists ride on the road we are more cautious and alert than the cage drivers out there, we have to be so we don't get run over by them when they 'stop' at a sign.

• Justang

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:17 AM

I hope it's not 2 feet down... I'm only 5'7 and on the 650L I can't touch but one at a time...

Same here. I can barely put 2 feet down on my WR in my garage. lol.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:32 PM

Ca Vehicle Code 22450 does not require you to put a foot down or wait for a specified amount of time - it does require that motion cease, as in the wheels stop turning. If you can 'track stand' - come to a complete stop and balance the bike w/o putting your feet down you have met the requirements of the pertinent VC sections.

Brian

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:57 PM

Ca Vehicle Code 22450 does not require you to put a foot down or wait for a specified amount of time - it does require that motion cease, as in the wheels stop turning. If you can 'track stand' - come to a complete stop and balance the bike w/o putting your feet down you have met the requirements of the pertinent VC sections.

Brian

Thank you sir.:applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.