My 06 450f will never break

8 replies to this topic
  • djtroy

Posted February 16, 2008 - 07:20 AM

I know I am going to get massacred on here for what I am about to say but I am simply amazed. I own an 06 and I have had it since late 06. This bike has been ridden on a track almost every single weekend since it was purchased. I wouldn't even know how many hours that might be but I have NEVER had anything break on it. I do oil and filters and I did a fork service once. I have never done anything else to the bike and I know I need to tear it apart and start doing some work on it before I get in trouble. I need to lube the linkage and possible look at the motor. What should I really need to do for maintenance at this point figuring the bike is way over 100 hrs possibly 200?
I remember the two stroke days I had parts breaking all the time on me.

• walent215

Posted February 16, 2008 - 07:29 AM

lube all bearings, replace top end and check valve clearances. also, you may want to service the suspension and change a spark plug. oh, and maybe a clutch.

• djtroy

Posted February 16, 2008 - 08:19 AM

lube all bearings, replace top end and check valve clearances. also, you may want to service the suspension and change a spark plug. oh, and maybe a clutch.

ya this is what I was going to do.....

Stiffen up suspension, im 220 lbs and stock suspension is just killing me.
Lube linkage
clutch and top end.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted February 16, 2008 - 02:34 PM

may wont to get a new timing chain also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • the1_roadrunner

Posted February 16, 2008 - 06:31 PM

a new tire?........:applause:

• duck butter

Posted February 16, 2008 - 07:13 PM

Do not hold your breath

• rmzRacer293

Posted February 16, 2008 - 07:27 PM

knock on wood. :applause:

• aedwards07

Posted February 16, 2008 - 08:27 PM

My 06 has 213.8 hours on it.Motor wise all it has is a fresh piston/cam chain and a full hinson clutch.Everything else is stock.Valves have been shimmed once.Most of the bearings have been replaced on the rest of the bike but that comes with riding in the sand.

• yz426weelieking

Posted February 16, 2008 - 09:20 PM

Thats nice and all but if you dont start keeping up on your maintenence, your going to be sitting at home on the weekends, keep a fresh spark plug in your bike, why not there cheap, your bike will run with a plug that is barley existing, service your valves at least once a year, yamahas are the best about there valves, but all the newer bikes go through valves, if your bike takes more than three kicks to start, get your valves checked. if your bike stits or backfires get your valves checked, your definately due to check your timing chain, check it once a year at least, change the oil in your bike as often as possible, why not, oil is cheap, your bike loves new oil. you dont have to do all these things but it will benifit you in the long run, and keep the hp up on your bike, you prob dont even notice that your bike is slower than when it was new...and if you dont have a full exhaust system on your bike, put one on the yamaha's need more motor hit to keep up with those damn kawi's, overall i say the yamaha is the best bike, and if your 220lbs change out the front and back springs, go one level stiffer, eiboch makes great springs, pro cicruit linkage and upper and lower tripple clamps will improove any bikes handling too, if you have the money spend it, say thanks latR..."Q"

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.