YZ Bend Bars on XR650R?

11 replies to this topic
  • SCORPiON5150

Posted February 16, 2008 - 06:55 AM

I have a set of brand new TAG YZ bend bars laying around and have been quite tempted to mount them on my 650R. My 650 has stock bars on it, which I am pretty comfortable with ergonomic wise. If I throw these YZ bars on is it going to give me really goofy ergonomics? Should I just pony up and buy a set with a different bend? Not sure what bend bars are even appropriate for an XR! I am 5'11" so not quite as tall as some of the guys here with the CR high bend, though I do like those on my CR500.

Suggestions? Experience?

• SCORPiON5150

Posted February 16, 2008 - 06:31 PM

Nobody?

• stevenfallover

Posted February 16, 2008 - 07:07 PM

i have fat bars on my r and love the higher bars.

• Suikerland

Posted February 16, 2008 - 11:23 PM

i put higher bars on my XRR (Pro-Taper Wyndham) , felt much better, like a whole new bike. I'm 6'. I think stock bars are to too low and also bend real easy. I came off at abt 20 mph in soft sand my my stock bars bent.

• scalejockey

Posted February 17, 2008 - 07:34 AM

i put higher bars on my XRR (Pro-Taper Wyndham) , felt much better, like a whole new bike. I'm 6'. I think stock bars are to too low and also bend real easy. I came off at abt 20 mph in soft sand my my stock bars bent.

I agree 100% the stock set-up is terrible! I've put the tall renthals(Jimmy Button bend?) with applied top clamp to move them way forward.
When your standing it won't yank you down. Ride any new motocross bike and they all are set up like this for a reason. I'm a product from the 70s'&80s' riding,so it was hard to adjust to the new way of "high and forward"on the bars,but it works!

• xr650l bum

Posted February 17, 2008 - 08:03 AM

I am experimenting with bars. I am waiting for a set I just ordered to see if I made the right decision. I am 6' 5. I have 1" block risers, 2 1/4" anti vibe risers, and tag cr double high bars. I like this setup, but it is a wee bit short. It will not allow me to extend my knees while standing. I researched bars and specs of all the bars I could find and compared. I ended up buying a set of 909 bars with the quad bend. The specs say is will be 1/2" wider, little over 1/2" taller, with less sweep than the tag x5 cr double high. There are so many different bars to go through, but if you look you will find what you want.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted February 17, 2008 - 09:25 PM

bars are like clothes, dont worry about who makes em or what brand or name is tied to them. Get the ones that fell the best to you!! If you wanna try the ones you got then go for it!! Just gotta find that bend you like, THEN youll have them on everything from then out. Me right now and for the last 15 years have been a CR high bend, theres others that are close and would fit me just as well but thats what ive had. Pro Tapers that get taken off when i sell a bike and go to the next.

• SCORPiON5150

Posted February 18, 2008 - 12:13 PM

Anybody know the specs (measurements) of the stock bend? I can find specs on most any motocross bike online, but no XR650R. It'd be great to know what I started with - then I could figure out what I'd like to change, and what bend to choose.

• Shinyboat

Posted February 20, 2008 - 12:28 PM

You really can't get a setup that is too tall on non motocross bikes. The taller the setup the easier it is to stand. My setup is 4" taller than stock and still not enough. I am 6'4"

• martinfan30

Posted February 20, 2008 - 01:31 PM

I agree. zzi run 2" pivot risers and cr high bend. Being 6'5", its a big help.

• Denn10

Posted February 20, 2008 - 02:10 PM

There are 2 yz bends as i see one hi and one low, depends on which you have, tag werent stock so look for some kind of number or if it says hi or low on it and then i can tell you what specs are

• SCORPiON5150

Posted February 21, 2008 - 12:19 PM

There are 2 yz bends as i see one hi and one low, depends on which you have, tag werent stock so look for some kind of number or if it says hi or low on it and then i can tell you what specs are

I've got the specs on the TAG bars, I meant the stock specs on the XR650R's bars.

Sorry, maybe should have been more specific.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.