650L tip over then no go

22 replies to this topic
  • DBM

Posted February 16, 2008 - 06:42 AM

Yesturday I was chasing my buddy through some trails on my 07 650L. My front tire hit a big rock that was hidden and I went down on the right side at about 15/20 MPH. The bike landed on it's right side in some soft dirt, the bars were bent, but nothing else seemed damaged at first. When I went to restart it, the bike fired right up but would not go into gear. The clutch feels normal, the right side foot peg and brake pedle were not bent at all. The left side peg/shifter did not even touch the ground. After messing with it for a few minutes, I finally heard a clunk like it was in gear, but when I let out the clutch it does not move. No grinding sounds, it just won't move. It's almost like the main counter shaft broke inside the engine. Is this possible with a low speed tip over?

Any help/suggestions/ideas would be great.

DBM

• martinfan30

Posted February 16, 2008 - 09:57 AM

No damage to the case?

• cleonard

Posted February 16, 2008 - 10:31 AM

Broken shifter mechanism.

• Denn10

Posted February 16, 2008 - 02:32 PM

really wierd that a kind easy fall would make it like that, can you feel anything when you move shifter up and down? feel normal or just free movement?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 17, 2008 - 04:40 AM

After all the crap my bike's been through, it would be hard to believe the shifter mech could break so easily, unless there was a pre-existing flaw in there somewhere.

I mean, my shifter has seen some serious, really serious abuse. And his bike didn't even land on that side!

Maybe a rock jammed the rear disk, or got stuck in the chain?

Dave

• xr650l bum

Posted February 17, 2008 - 07:54 AM

I have also ridden my bike hard. I just broke the frame, and the battery bracket. One of my last rides I went down hard on the left side. Bike would not go into first gear. I had to start out in second and shift through the gears to get it to start working proper again.

• Itchykawa

Posted February 17, 2008 - 10:26 PM

My '94 threw a chain while tached out in 1st gear and walking a wheelie. It absolutely GRENADED the transmission. The bill was going to be almost as much as it was worth. :banghead: The mechanic at my local dealer was my best riding buddy so I know he was telling me the truth. The parts list was about a foot long. The bike had 1300 miles and a few weeks of warranty left. Honda paid for the repairs and didn't bat an eye. :cry: My friend said I could have hung it up with another manufacturer. I ALWAYS consider a Honda first. :applause: I keep a closer eye on my chain too!

Dunno what is causing your symptoms :), but they are the same as mine from what you described. Don't see how you could have nearly as much damage as I did though. Yours is probably something simple.

Good luck.

• DBM

Posted February 18, 2008 - 12:29 PM

Thankx guys.

No case damage at all - the shifter feels normal both up and down - the bike just wont move when you let out the clutch.

Help me figure this out

DBM

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 18, 2008 - 12:36 PM

Are you sure that the clutch is disengaging?

• martinfan30

Posted February 18, 2008 - 01:08 PM

Thankx guys.

No case damage at all - the shifter feels normal both up and down - the bike just wont move when you let out the clutch.

Help me figure this out

DBM

Maybe the clutch release arm(on the outside of the case) is bent, keeping the clutch disengaged?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Itchykawa

Posted February 18, 2008 - 04:28 PM

Thankx guys.

Help me figure this out

DBM

I talked to my friend today who repaired my bike and has made his living wrenching on Hondas for 25 years. He says there is a 90% chance the problem is simple - most likely having to do with the cable being "jerked" when the right side of the bars took a jolt during the crash. Something insignificant is probably bent that is keeping the clutch disengaged. He said to make certain there is plenty of freeplay in the lever and then work your way down checking the simple things first and be prepared to remove the clutch cover if you have to. He couldn't think of ANYTHING serious that could have resulted from the get off you described.

My shifter cerainly didn't feel normal at all when I had serious damage and I had no case damage either.

Keep us informed.

• martinfan30

Posted February 18, 2008 - 08:48 PM

Itchy I'm with you on that thought.

Just look at the cable freeplay to see if the clutch may be somehow stuck disengaged.

• DBM

Posted February 20, 2008 - 08:32 AM

Yup, as I get a closer look I have a tweaked/too tight clutch cable. When the bars got bent, somehow the clutch cable got pulled too tight with zero freeplay. I have been on the couch for a week resting my sore ribs, I will dig into it soon and let you guys know for sure. I have another related question:

If the clutch springs were compressed and allowed to cool in the compressed position would that "sag" the spring tension out some causing my clutch to slip after fixing the cable? Is this possible?

I am ordering a new OE cable, and may order a set of OE clutch springs and cover gasket just to make sure. I need to clean the oil screen anyway.

What do you guys think?

DBM

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 20, 2008 - 09:00 AM

Likely you didn't hurt a thing, aside from the cable and your ribs.

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted February 20, 2008 - 09:10 AM

I'm with Dave, I think they are fine.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 20, 2008 - 01:50 PM

Mike, you worry too much.

• ScootMcGoot

Posted February 20, 2008 - 01:55 PM

I don't know if this is applicable to the xr650 but my friend had the same problem with his crf230 and it was because the exhaust pipe had bent into the little lever on the on engine the engages and disengages the clutch causing it to be slipping constantly

• xr650l bum

Posted February 20, 2008 - 06:10 PM

Seems you should be able to adjust it to work again, then just ride it!

• DBM

Posted March 04, 2008 - 05:24 AM

Update: I finally got a chance to tear into the bike to see what was up. The no-go problem was a clutch cable that was pulled too tight by the hand guard mount that had got tweaked when I hit the ground. I also had 1 bent bar mount, and a tweaked front end. All is well now....except for my freakin ribs that hurt bad....still after almost 3 weeks.

DBM

• quicksilver

Posted March 04, 2008 - 07:28 AM

Did you have a bash plate? Just a thought to see if they do (or could have helped).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.