Passenger Pegs

15 replies to this topic
  • Thresher90

Posted February 15, 2008 - 05:31 PM

I was looking to put some passenger pegs on my XRR and I thought I could buy them but it doesnt look that way, so anyone with any pics/ideas of how to mount some would be very nice.

• Thorndike

Posted February 15, 2008 - 08:17 PM

Look at XR's Only. They have a nice set that welds to the frame and then can be unbolted. I have a set on my X4 and have been two up lots of times. My kids really like to ride with me. I wouldn't get the kind that bolt to the swing arm.

• Thresher90

Posted February 15, 2008 - 08:47 PM

NO WAY! I deffinately do not want the kind that mounts to the swing arm. I also am not big on the welding to the frame either because my welding skills are horrible. I was more interested in a bracket that someone has fabricated to fit stock holes on the XRR.

• gottaski

Posted February 15, 2008 - 11:38 PM

how about these from JC Whitney: http://www.jcwhitney...0014710/c-10111
they look like the best dirt option.

• scalejockey

Posted February 16, 2008 - 06:40 AM

I have some that bolts on but i can't remember where i got them.
XRs' only or Baja designs. You have to call it's not on a web site,that i do remember.Posted Image

• gnfreak

Posted February 27, 2008 - 01:57 PM

how about these from JC Whitney: http://www.jcwhitney...0014710/c-10111
they look like the best dirt option.

any pics with these on a bike??

• Billahjack

Posted March 02, 2008 - 02:20 PM

Baja Designs Pegs suck.
1.) The ball detent seizes after a while so you can't flip them up or down easy.
2.) They can break pretty easy or break the subframe if you hit a jump hard enough with a passenger on the back. Look at the picture above. The right peg is only held on with 1 bolt. They are weak unless you are just doing some casual riding.
3.) I don't know if its the old or the new pegs from Baja Designs, but the set screws that keep them on come loose. Either set, they still come loose. One design is axial, the other is radial. If you buy a set, take out the set screws and put red loctite on them. It sucks when the set screw falls out and they rotate off during a ride.

I thought I saw some pegs that bolt onto the main frame near the stock pegs on the XRR. There are two bolts behind the main foot pegs that they bolted into. They look similar to the weld on pegs but it was a simple bolt-on instead.

• Billahjack

Posted March 02, 2008 - 02:28 PM

I remember seeing the european street legal model having nice rear passenger pegs that were bolt ons like the ones I described above. For some reason, i think the bike was itallian and had an electric start kit too.

Update: Look at this thread, first page. I was close, on the mounting points but it looks way better than the BD pegs.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=421904

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scalejockey

Posted March 03, 2008 - 06:09 AM

Baja Designs Pegs suck.
1.) The ball detent seizes after a while so you can't flip them up or down easy.
2.) They can break pretty easy or break the subframe if you hit a jump hard enough with a passenger on the back. Look at the picture above. The right peg is only held on with 1 bolt. They are weak unless you are just doing some casual riding.
3.) I don't know if its the old or the new pegs from Baja Designs, but the set screws that keep them on come loose. Either set, they still come loose. One design is axial, the other is radial. If you buy a set, take out the set screws and put red loctite on them. It sucks when the set screw falls out and they rotate off during a ride.

I thought I saw some pegs that bolt onto the main frame near the stock pegs on the XRR. There are two bolts behind the main foot pegs that they bolted into. They look similar to the weld on pegs but it was a simple bolt-on instead.

They hav'nt failed yet,but.. i really don't use them much,maybe twice in two years.The right one uses the bolt for the pipe.I really didn't like that so i got a higher grade bolt. Then i tested it with my weight (190) I wouldn't use them i were to do a lot of dirt riding with someone on the back.Only street riding with someone under 150 lbs.

• kraut61

Posted March 03, 2008 - 11:48 PM

I looked at all the available passenger pegs out there and thought that is $$$$$ for occasional use and could potentially tear my leg off in a crash so this is what I did...I bought a piece of 1/2x1/8x3' mild steel flat bar from Tractor Supply.Take a piece 8-12" long and make a U bend around a piece of 1/2 pipe leaving two tails about 4-6" long.Fire up the Handee-Dandee Welder and attach to the outside of the factory pegs,locate as far out(wide) as desired...even place on a swept back angle to reduce wind resistance...spray paint (with high quality) flat black.I figured all the passenger needs is a place to rest their feet add push against when we stop (so I don't end up on top of the fuel tank).I have found that smaller kids have problems reaching them but they work fine for grown-ups.

• Big Red Paul

Posted March 04, 2008 - 12:51 AM

Bought these footpegs from the local Honda dealer. Can't remember how much they were, not that much though.
According to my 'bird' she says they offer good 'footage'. They tuck up nicely out of the way when not in use.
Just another example of what is available.

Posted Image

http://i223.photobuc...om/albums/dd74/

Posted Image

• lilbro

Posted March 06, 2008 - 11:17 AM

I was looking at Honda's Italian site and saw stock rear foot pegs on a XRR.
http://dallarahonda....xr650sm_new.htm

It also has electric start.

• kraut61

Posted March 06, 2008 - 11:30 AM

This is what I was trying to describe...nothing but HIGH quality:rolleyes: Posted Image

• micknmeld

Posted March 06, 2008 - 06:50 PM

I fitted an universal pair to the swingarm of my XR600 and on the first ride with them folded up I did a jump and the right hand peg put a huge dent in the exhaust pipe. So talking from experience, I wouldn't recommend them.:thumbsup:

• Thresher90

Posted March 07, 2008 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I like the stock ones on that XR650R SM version over in Europe. Is there anyway that you can order a set of those passesnger pegs from over there?

• Billahjack

Posted March 08, 2008 - 03:45 PM

Maybe one of our fellow members can help us out. There's some Itallians here with some sick bikes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.