Front Sprocket Lock Washer

3 replies to this topic
  • BASSic

Posted February 15, 2008 - 03:17 PM

I recently installed a new chain and sprockets on my 01 426. I re-used the old front sprocket lock washer and it was OK.

I now decided that I want to use a 13 tooth front sprocket instead. The lock washer that I already re-used is probably not going to work well again, so I went to two different Yamaha dealerships and neither one has the lock washer in stock. This surprises me because as far as I can tell, it's a common part that's used on several models covering many years.

It's just a thought, but would any other bikes happen to use the same lock washer? There are Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki dealerships not too far away (also Home Depot and Lowe's :applause: ). I'd like to do this tomorrow and not have to wait several days for a $2 part.

• KalTraMs

Posted February 15, 2008 - 03:27 PM

Carry it with you wherever you decide to go. You should be able to get a match somewhere.
Although not likely at Home Depot or Lowes, BUT if you have a good "Mom & Pop" Auto Parts store with a reputation for having metrics lying around...MAYBE. (an Orchard Supply Hardware store is a long shot).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 15, 2008 - 03:54 PM

Carry it with you wherever you decide to go. You should be able to get a match somewhere.
Although not likely at Home Depot or Lowes, BUT if you have a good "Mom & Pop" Auto Parts store with a reputation for having metrics lying around...MAYBE. (an Orchard Supply Hardware store is a long shot).

It's the wrong kind of washer for any hardware store to have.

Use it again. Just be sure you fold it over in a "fresh" location, away from any old folds, and it should work. Then order a couple more to have on hand.

• ben_suhard

Posted February 15, 2008 - 09:57 PM

Don't be too worried about your sprocket nut coming loose, the Yamaha design is waaaay better than KTM's bolt design; I'm surprised they even started using just a bolt, let alone continue to use that design(and they have been known to come loose). This photo is of a KTM sprocket protector, but you can see that the front sprocket is just held on by a bolt! http://www.ktmcycleh...ts/U6907890.JPG

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.