XR650L kickstand safety bypass & removal

30 replies to this topic
  • Kenzo

Posted February 15, 2008 - 07:46 AM

did a search but couldn't find wut i wus looking for...

i want to bypass AND remove the kickstand safety and associated wiring/hardware...cud someone point me in the right direction or provide instructions?

i haven't opened the case where the wires enter yet but since i'm new to XR's i'm waiting for the maintence/repair manual to arrive before i have at it on my own.

TIA,

kenny

• martinfan30

Posted February 15, 2008 - 07:51 AM

I believe if you connect the clutch safety switch wires together it will bypass all safeties.

• Denn10

Posted February 15, 2008 - 08:03 AM

if your not looking to get rid of the switch then just take off kickstand and zip tie switch out of the way. Might be alot more hassle than its worth to completely eliminate the wire and switch. Just an option though.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 15, 2008 - 09:37 AM

I believe if you connect the clutch safety switch wires together it will bypass all safeties.

You have to connect them both to ground to bypass all the safeties. Tying them together just bypasses the clutch switch.

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted February 15, 2008 - 10:17 AM

You have to connect them both to ground to bypass all the safeties. Tying them together just bypasses the clutch switch.

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave.

• tgstoken

Posted February 15, 2008 - 12:40 PM

You have to connect them both to ground to bypass all the safeties

Just curious, how do you do that? Where do you ground the wires?

• Denn10

Posted February 15, 2008 - 12:52 PM

you can ground to anywhere on the frame thats close and has a clean look.

• CReffex

Posted February 15, 2008 - 01:23 PM

Just be careful bypassing the clutch safety....
Had a friend crash on a huge hill in the Hatfield-McCoys on his L, Crushed Throttle tube so it hung open, accidentally hit the ebutton turning the bike around...
Ghost ride all the way down till impact w/ said Tree:bonk:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 15, 2008 - 03:51 PM

Just be careful bypassing the clutch safety....
Had a friend crash on a huge hill in the Hatfield-McCoys on his L, Crushed Throttle tube so it hung open, accidentally hit the ebutton turning the bike around...
Ghost ride all the way down till impact w/ said Tree:bonk:

Yeah, I'm not really a big fan of fully bypassing everything, but when you need to debug or bypass to get home, its good to know!

Dave

• Red4x4neck

Posted February 15, 2008 - 03:56 PM

Dave

So if I understand this right, ground both wires and it will eliminate the Nuetral switch also? I am currently having fits with my nuetral switch killing the bike while I am riding.

Rob

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xrltim

Posted February 15, 2008 - 08:28 PM

Just follow the wires from the switch to the the plug that they plug into. Then you can put a jumper wire across the two pins that need to be closed. That way you keep the clutch switch. Works like a champ.

• Kenzo

Posted March 03, 2008 - 01:21 PM

Just follow the wires from the switch to the the plug that they plug into. Then you can put a jumper wire across the two pins that need to be closed. That way you keep the clutch switch. Works like a champ.

yup...i followed the wires up to the plug under the seat...tried unplugging no-go.

soooo...reinstalled the plug cut it off with about an inch of the wires remaining...after a simple test soldered the two green wires together then heat-shrinked and it's gud to go...simply unscrew the switch to remove the wiring...

lost maybe 1/4-1/2 lbs of weight and won't be left stranded by a faulty kickstand switch:thumbsup:

:smirk:

• Denn10

Posted March 03, 2008 - 02:07 PM

good info there kenzo prolly someone else wanting to do this so now they know how to do it.

• RT1000

Posted March 03, 2008 - 05:59 PM

OK.....I gotta ask.....Why would u wanna by pass the safetys anyways????

I just dont get it......i've never ever had an issue(safetys) with all my bikes period.

• martinfan30

Posted March 03, 2008 - 06:19 PM

Its just simple peace of mind for some guys. One less thing to worry about.

Its like when carry several tools with you, you'll never need them!!

• Kenzo

Posted March 03, 2008 - 06:34 PM

OK.....I gotta ask.....Why would u wanna by pass the safetys anyways????

I just dont get it......i've never ever had an issue(safetys) with all my bikes period.

i'm an ex-engineer/sales guys turned restaurateur, located a stones throw from the Johnson Space Center...

"...what ain't there can't break." :)

:smirk:

• Kyron

Posted February 20, 2009 - 05:05 PM

...after a simple test soldered the two green wires together then heat-shrinked and it's gud to go...

"...what ain't there can't break." :worthy:

Thanks for the info......... :lol:

and thats why I removed it also:banana:

• scarty111

Posted February 20, 2009 - 06:22 PM

way old post:ride:

• Lost Again

Posted February 20, 2009 - 06:52 PM

I was riding in Death Valley and kicked up a rock that took out the kick stand safety switch on my KTM 950 Adventure. I was lucky to have read an article about how to over ride the switch. A few minutes of wire stripping and I was back on the road. Keep the switch, just know how to over ride it when needed.

• Gassyphil

Posted February 20, 2009 - 09:21 PM

I like it when I put my kick stand down it kills the motor... :lol:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.