Check out Me Homemade Pipes

27 replies to this topic
  • Denn10

Posted February 15, 2008 - 04:58 PM

sand is a good trick , very nice brother!! You get to a shop or find someone with a bender those will be as good or better than some top dollar ones!! You may have the start to a business here!!! Seriously What kind of welder you got? Im assuming TIG with the looks, but im just a novice welder. I have a Lincoln 175SP Plus, 220v and i havent used it much since i bought it about 4 years ago.

• dldavis_66

Posted February 15, 2008 - 05:24 PM

sand is a good trick , very nice brother!! You get to a shop or find someone with a bender those will be as good or better than some top dollar ones!! You may have the start to a business here!!! Seriously What kind of welder you got? Im assuming TIG with the looks, but im just a novice welder. I have a Lincoln 175SP Plus, 220v and i havent used it much since i bought it about 4 years ago.

Yes...I T.I.G welded it. Only way to weld S/S if you want it to look nice. M.I.G S/S looks like crap ALWAYS...don't care how good a welder you are.

I've got a Miller Syncro-something or other 350 at work. It does T.I.G and Stick and M.I.G if you add a wire feeder.

If I thought I could turn this whole thing into a business I would. Just not something I could do on my own. I don't think there is all that much demand for Dual Ex headers. I don't want to start it in a business and not have the sales to keep it profitable, or to have the bottom fall out of it 6 months down the road.

• ToXicD

Posted February 15, 2008 - 07:16 PM

i agree with the business, but you could just do it on the side and make a few thousand dollars. those are dual headers??? i am guessing you mean dual port and not dual muffler right?? if it does have dual mufflers, post some pics!!

• crf-f crf-r trx cbr

Posted February 15, 2008 - 07:26 PM

very nice work man.....get your own business now

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jw yama 76

Posted February 15, 2008 - 07:33 PM

sweet bro.:applause: want to make some money?:)

• crf150f guy

Posted February 15, 2008 - 08:12 PM

nice pics. your are amazing!!!:applause: :) :cry:

• dldavis_66

Posted February 16, 2008 - 01:10 AM

Very nice.

I wonder if more gains could be had with mandrel bends and a merge collector.

Other than that very nice. Might motivate me to bust out the welder and make some pipes for myself.

With a mandrel, I don't see why not. Mandrel benders are expensive, even the manual ones. I didn't have $50,000 laying around just to make myself some headers LOL. Also, they're not perfect. They are prone to failure, more often than most people know. I have seen many mandrel bent tubes with ripples in them. When the machines break down they're costly to fix, whether it be a manual or CNC.

If I may digress, I used wet sand, all I had available at the time: didn't do all that bad a job. I should have put some molasses in it too. I remember when I had Metal Shop in high school. We had a foundry. I remember the casting sand we used. It was a dark brown with a brown sugar consistancy. It even had a brown sugary smell to it. I remember someone asking my teacher why it smelled like brown sugar and with a big ass smile on his face he said " ...there is Molasses in it." Not only did we use it to make aluminum castings, we used it to bend thin walled tubing, tight radius with a shop-made bender, with out a single ripple in it. Unfortunately, all this happened over 25 years ago and didn't remember anything till after I had the first set of headers built, finished and on the bike.

As far as the collector...uh...a collector is a collector. There is one on my pipes. I made the collector separately with the 2 nipples for the head pipes as a single unit. After I welded it up, I ported and polished the insides.

Then I went to work on the rest of the mid-pipe. My bender had too big of a radius for the 1.75 tubing so I had to miter some wedges and one straight piece.

After cutting and tacking all the pieces together, all that was left was to purge weld it. That was easy enough. I would say better than 75% of the joints fitted very tight and were welded as smooooothe as glass on the inside with the purging.

I'll be working on the second set later today(Saturday). I'm gonna go buy some fine silicon sand and some mollasses and make my own packing. Don't need all that much of it. Not sure how it will work but I am confident it will work better than using wet sand.

I gotta get to bed.....

• scalejockey

Posted February 16, 2008 - 06:26 AM

Stainless, Aurg poio! That stuff is hard to work with! I made some pipes for my xs650 street tracker a while ago.It was hard enough with mild steel.I can't imagine doing it with stainless.

You the man!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.