Stock compression?? 97 650l

4 replies to this topic
  • Dave Blackburn

Posted February 14, 2008 - 09:39 PM

Hi,
Any one know the stock compression of a 97 xr650l?
What sort of increases in power should I get with a 10.25:1 piston and new sleeve, uni air filter and no snorkel.
I don't think the bike has been jetted.
Thanks,
Dave

• Motosprtman

Posted February 15, 2008 - 06:53 AM

don't know exactly what you will get - obviously something - more grunt. Defintely need to rejet it though to fully realize the power. I would start with a 165 main and 55 pilot, drill the slide to 5/32 and raise the needle with a .020 to.030 washer. Also compliment it with a nice aftermarket slip on pipe, Then.... Hang on!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted February 15, 2008 - 07:33 AM

Hi,
Any one know the stock compression of a 97 xr650l?
What sort of increases in power should I get with a 10.25:1 piston and new sleeve, uni air filter and no snorkel.
I don't think the bike has been jetted.
Thanks,
Dave

8.3:1. The hi-comp. piston really wakes them up. I'm pretty happy with the hotcam I just installed(stock piston). I'm on the fence about the piston because of the hard starting some say they get. The hotcam doesnt retain the auto-decompressor.

• Denn10

Posted February 15, 2008 - 08:23 AM

http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

check this out has pics and all about mods to carb and jetting specs. Would definitely do this before you even worry about a hi comp piston, see how you like it and it only cost max $10 for jets. Check your carb out see if its done.

• xrltim

Posted February 15, 2008 - 08:45 PM

I went with the 10.5:1 Wiseco piston, stock valve train and cam on my 94 650L. I have a K&N jet kit and Xr's only pipe. I ride with a guy that has a two bros. racing pipe but otherwise identical setup and I spank him on the top end. We are pretty much even on the bottom and mid. It's pretty fun to pull away and shift later in every gear though. I would have to say it upped the HP by 1/3 or so. Easily pulls the front wheel up in 2nd, little clutch in third. In 1st. it's ridiculous. I got lucky and have pretty much perfect jetting and it's really snappy without any lag or flat spots. I have not had any bad affects, money well spent. Electric start, electric start, electric start. Had another friend that did the same mod to his XR600 kicker and has to have a paramedic standing by to start up his bike. (hotcam, no decompression):applause: :) :cry:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.