Bike Shoes/Wheel Shoes/ Bike Boots?

5 replies to this topic
  • YZ_Abuser

Posted October 25, 2002 - 02:59 AM

I know there are some pople out there using bike shoes. There are several brands now too. Or at least copies of the original ATK Bike shoe. What brands are out there and which work best? What are the going rates?

I'd like to get 1 or 2 to mount on a removable board or something to ease loading and unloading. What set up is working for you? What improvements would you make?

• cjh426

Posted October 29, 2002 - 04:43 PM

hey whats up, i recently purchased an A.T.K. bike shoe and so far it works like a charm. it kinda bothered me about how much pressure went on the tire but it seems to be ok.
most road trips i take are about 400 - 600 miles and no problems at all ... good luck with whatever you choose.

• Chaindrive

Posted November 04, 2002 - 11:53 PM

Just a word of warning: Don't trust them completely! I recommend bungie-cording the lockdown lever AND using a couple of tie-down straps from the footpegs to the floor (towards the front). I use and build bike shoes, but weird things happen in/on trailers and losing your bike at 70mph would be a bad thing and your first clue something was wrong...

I also don't like the extreme stress they place on the rim, bearings, axle, steering stem, etc. when used by themselves. Awful lot of torque there, and a muddy rear tire can still slide all over the place... :)

Just my .02

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ_Abuser

Posted November 05, 2002 - 04:47 AM

How much do you make them for?

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted November 05, 2002 - 10:37 AM

I have two ATK Bike shoes mounted in the back of my Patio Hauler 5th wheel - the things work great. I've only had one problem with one the bikes coming loose and it was my fault. I use tie downs on the foot pegs and this time I goofed and ran them towards the rear wheel instead of going foward with them. The bike came out after 8 miles of logging roads and was leaning against the side wall of the trailer. Otherwise I think they are great. You can get them from Chapparral for ~$70 each.

• BigDesto

Posted November 05, 2002 - 12:29 PM

I've had mine for over 10 years! Work great,but i still use tie downs to secure the side to side movement. As mentioned, i to think that it's alot of pressure with just the wheel /axel taking all of pressure of side motion. I don't compress the forks with the tie downs, just secure them.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.