Special cam tensioner holder tool?

8 replies to this topic
  • SteveON

Posted February 14, 2008 - 02:12 PM

Due to a broken exhaust stud (a complete other thread) I am having to pull the head on my NX650 to take to a machine shop. I got all the way to the point I need a special tool to hold the cam tensioner in place while I remove the cam chain and camshafts. Anyone know where I can buy/borrow one of these without breaking the bank?
Also is there anything I should lookout for in trying to get the head off? Seems every manufactuer likes to throw a few wrenches into the process just to mess up the do-it-your-selfers. Thanks so much.
Steve

• cleonard

Posted February 14, 2008 - 08:04 PM

There are three ways that I know of to get this done. First is the proper tool. I never have even seen one. The second is to use some wire to hold the spring compressed. I've done this and it will work. It's not easy. The third is to take off the side cover and just hold the cam chain guide that the tensioner presses against. I can do it with just my hands. This is my method now. Having the cover off makes it a lot easier to get the cam chain on the bottom sprocket. I have had real problems with this.

• knuklehead

Posted February 14, 2008 - 08:18 PM

I think I still have one of those tool's ( have to look in storage ) I go over and see Fri. I dont have a L anymore so I doubt I'll ever need it again.

• martinfan30

Posted February 14, 2008 - 08:50 PM

You should be able to remove the spring easily during disassembly. The special tool CL talks of is a mystery. Kind of like the "Chupacabra" in Mexico. Reinstalling is a breeze. Just tie the spring ends together with "mechanics wire". Install the spring, and cut the wire loose.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • msm650

Posted February 15, 2008 - 01:37 AM

I broke the cam chain tensioner off inside my 450x's engine by not using that special tool. I tried a jerry rig to lock in the tensioner and it slipped. Cost me a new cam chain tensioner ( which is about the same cost as the special tool) and a bunch of headaches trying to clean the metal bits out of my engine.

• scalejockey

Posted February 15, 2008 - 06:38 AM

I use a small punch in that little hole,pull it back then a spacer ring around the punch to hold it in place.

Iv'e seen the "tool" but never needed it.

• knuklehead

Posted February 16, 2008 - 05:03 PM

I have the tool,PM me if you want. Posted Image

• Thumpmeister

Posted February 17, 2008 - 06:45 PM

Wow, I have never seen one of those tools either.

The method I found that worked really well for me was a bit different. I tried that wire thing, and it was a PAIN IN THE A$$...

What I ended up doing, it kind of disconnecting the little spring that is on the tensioner. At the end of the coil where it is bent and goes into the spring, I popped the coil out of that little hole, and turned the spring so that there would be no tension on the tensioner. Once I got the tensioner in place, I was able to get the tip of the spring back into the little hole with some needle nose pliers and a small-ish screwdriver.

Kind of tough to explain, but it worked for me.

• martinfan30

Posted February 17, 2008 - 08:12 PM

Wow, I have never seen one of those tools either.

The method I found that worked really well for me was a bit different. I tried that wire thing, and it was a PAIN IN THE A$$...

What I ended up doing, it kind of disconnecting the little spring that is on the tensioner. At the end of the coil where it is bent and goes into the spring, I popped the coil out of that little hole, and turned the spring so that there would be no tension on the tensioner. Once I got the tensioner in place, I was able to get the tip of the spring back into the little hole with some needle nose pliers and a small-ish screwdriver.

Kind of tough to explain, but it worked for me.

I've done it this way too. Also works well.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.