gytr enduro bash plate for 2006 yzf450

After recently purchasing a used 2006 yzf450 I have been looking around for a bash/skid plate for it as I would hate my engine to sustain any damage from rocks etc, I ride mx practice tracks mainly deep sand but also a few hardpack tracks with rocks, I was looking at the gytr enduro bash plate but can't seem to find any retailers in the UK, ive only really searched on google, not checked if they send to UK on the amercian gytr site yet. Before I order one are there any others to consider ? was looking at carbon ones but don't like the idea of them wearing fast or cracking/shattering.

The reason Im looking at the endruo gytr guard is because of its side engine protection (best ive seen so far). cheers guys

If you want aluminum with side case protection I like the bashplate from B&B Offroad the best so far. It has rubber that isolates it from the frame. It also doesn't have the multiple bend marks like the GYTR and looks like it conforms to the frame better.

http://www.bboffroad.com.au/Yamha%20bashplates/YZF450Bashplat%2006.JPG

You will find many other good options in the following thread:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605079

I put my GYTR plate on before my first ride on my '06. Its worked great. Can oil change without removing it but takes a little finesse with your index and middle finger.

I ended up cutting the oil drain plug access hole bigger, I found that it was almost impossible to put the bolt back in, not to mention it took forever to undo and tighten it! At first, I didn't want to make the hole bigger 'cause I thought, "Knowing my luck, a rock will go through it!", but then the rear bolt stripped the frame A/P thread(I found it was best to do the front bolts up first to align the rear hole up)and I didn't want to wear the threads any more from removing and replacing the plate for every oil change.

Dito on the oil plug hole. I have the GYTR on my 08. I wish it fit closer to the fram on the front down tubes gets packed with mud, and its hard to get all the mud out with out taking it off. Im going to use some foam to block it off.

Matt

i have the plate from devol engineering on mine. i love it. i can change oil very easily,the plate looks great, and offers great protection everywhere

Hi mate, do you have a photo of your plate installed, just looked on the thumpertalk site at the devol one and it seems it dosen't have side protection like some of the others (i.e. bits which stick out covering water pump etc) or am I looking at the wrong one ?

Just been doing some more looking and found this one, looks pretty good, (has its own mounts and also looks to be a fairly large access hole for oil changes)

The skid plate shown in that pic is a stock photo and isn't specifically for your bike. MSR and Moose skidplates are made for them by Utah Sportscycle.

Here's a pic of the Utah Sportscycle skid plate for the 06-08 YZ450F:

http://utahsportcycle.com/store/yz450fpic.htm

The Thumpertalk Store also carries carries Thumpertalk brand skidplates. These are also made by Utah Sportscycle. The TT store will most likely be the cheapest place to buy it. They don't list Yamaha for some reason, but I'm sure they can get it for you. Just shoot the them an email.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ThumperTalk_Skid_Plates_p/bp_tt_skid.htm

right just relised that the oil drain plugs are on the side and not the underside of the cases (ive only had the bike a week) so why are people saying its difficult for them to access the oil drain plugs with a bash plate installed ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skid-Plate-YAMAHA-YZF-450-Carbon-Kevlar-2006-2007_W0QQitemZ190087858903QQihZ009QQcategoryZ10490QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

d952_12.JPG

thought the one above looked quite good, coverage wise etc

right just relised that the oil drain plugs are on the side and not the underside of the cases (ive only had the bike a week) so why are people saying its difficult for them to access the oil drain plugs with a bash plate installed ?

I really hope that you're not serious! If you are, you need to take another look and have a bit more of a think about it.:applause:

Yes I am serious and no they are not on the underside (bottom) of the engine like my old cr250 and rm125. I probably worded it wrong, So now do you see where I am coming from, they are at the bottom of either side of the cases on the side ?

Yes I am serious and no they are not on the underside (bottom) of the engine like my old cr250 and rm125. I probably worded it wrong, So now do you see where I am coming from, they are at the bottom of either side of the cases on the side ?

The problem is that you need to access the right hand side drain plug from between the frame rails(underneath the engine, whether it's mounted on the side of the bottom of the engine or not), and if the bottom is covered up from frame rail to frame rail, there is no way you can get to that plug if there's no access hole.

If you still can't see it, make yourself a cardboard bash plate that fits from frame rail to frame rail and try to unscrew that right hand plug(without tearing or cutting the cardboard of course).

I see where you coming from now mate, having done my oil the other night. Anyway I'm going to order one of these devol ones (he delivers to UK) having looked around for ages now. Seems that you can change your oil with it installed also, and it also seems to offer loads of protection for frame rails and engine. What you fellas reckon ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Devol-Motorcycle-Skid-Plate-YZ-450-YZ450F-06-08_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ35585QQihZ024QQitemZ370019224097QQtcZphoto

skid-plate.jpg

I bought some Devol guards for my 02 YZ426 and the did not fit - not just off by a bit, but by quite a large margin. There answer was to tell me it was down to the varying tolerance of the Yamaha manufacturing process. Needless to say, it was my last Devol purchase ever. Just fitted the GYT-R Enduro bash plate on my 08 YZ450 and although it was a pain to fit, it looks like a fantastic piece - well built & solid as the proverbial brick shithouse