XR600 carb help

2 replies to this topic
  • JMC

Posted February 14, 2008 - 09:52 AM

Did some searching no luck. Have a 97 xr600, got it used a few months ago. Hard to start but a quick shot of starting fluid and it fires. Problem I am having is it will hiccup and die at idle. If I blip the throttle or rev it a bit it will stay running, let it down to idle and it will die after about 3-10 seconds. Happens when choke it off. Also it will slightly backfire one or two times on decel. Lean pilot? PO cleaned the carb I was told so I GUESS it is not a dirty pilot (to cold to pull it apart right now) Air screw? How many turns out stock (no manual to check)? What is everyone running for a pilot? I did take her for a quick hoot of a ride in 8" of snow yesterday. :applause: Runs great other than idle, cough, hiccup, decel pop what ever the "proper" name is for the condition.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted February 14, 2008 - 10:08 AM

could be a lean pilot if its poping on decel but also bump your idle screw up since it sounds like its not idling well and this can contribute to hard starting. Once you get it to idle see if its easier to start.

What pilot you got in it and where is the screw set at now?

• creeky

Posted February 14, 2008 - 10:12 AM

Ah yes, the old XR600 "cough and croak". Probably lean jetting. Stock jetting for the '97 is 152 main, 62 pilot. If you have uncorked the muffler and removed the air intake snorkel, try a 158/65 combo, you might need more. The fuel screw should be 2 to 2 1/2 turns out, more than that to get a good idle, pilot is too lean, less, pilot too rich. Setting the idle on the high side will help.

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.